Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #736
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The bump in Q2 2016 (April-June) corresponds to K-1 shipments IMO. Their forecast for the current quarter is surprisingly low.
Never seen that graph before. It looks even less then I thought from the numbers. No new product in shops and low sales.

---------- Post added 02-03-17 at 19:40 ----------

It's not necessarily a new trend, it might be specific to this quarter: post-Christmas hangover (Christmas retail sales lower than expected and distributors inventories high).
I would not be surprised if Ricoh decided to take the camera division under review to restructre the proces in order to make it better running (financially).

03-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #737

Lemme see. Ricoh is expecting lowered sales and some of you want them to increase production, inventory and product line? Make a whole lot of sense to me. Not!
03-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #738
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Never seen that graph before. It looks even less then I thought from the numbers. No new product in shops and low sales.

(..)
It's not that bad actually. The numbers are small but the annual turnover is stable, which is a much better trend than that of the market.
03-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #739
Banned

It's not that bad actually. The numbers are small but the annual turnover is stable, which is a much better trend than that of the market.
Yes, K-1 kept sales at last years level. The quake did come in at a bad time. Maybe KP will save current sales.

03-02-2017, 12:37 PM - 7 Likes   #740
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I would not be surprised if Ricoh decided to take the camera division under review to restructre the proces in order to make it better running (financially).
You've reached a new low in baseless, hypothetical hyperbole.
03-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #741
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OWTH. I'm jumping ship to GoPro.
Don't jump Drone!.....its a long way down, even if it does get up!
03-02-2017, 04:29 PM - 2 Likes   #742
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oh good another thread that has Ron singing a new verse of his "Pentax is Doomed!" song. Never gets old on a forum that focuses on Pentax.

03-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #743
Veteran Member

Talking of the market, have you seen the most recent survey from LensVid? Ahma geddin' depressed with general industry camera sales which are lower than the lowerest crawling critter and trending lower still. Total camera market now something like one-sixth of what it was on 2010 when the K5 was issued. Still, we all have our cameras, right? So we can all continue taking photographs. The LensVid survey is a general picture and isn't necessarily representative of Pentax which might have beaten the trend, I hasten to add. But what a sobering picture.

Last edited by mecrox; 03-02-2017 at 04:38 PM.
03-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #744
Pentaxian

The camera market seems to bottom out. In december 2016 more camera's were shipped than in december 2015. Januari 2017 shows about equal to januari 2016.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/dw-201701_e.pdf

It means digital is now a mature market. The past eight years were not representative of a mature market. Compacts are now called phone.
03-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #745
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The camera market seems to bottom out. In december 2016 more camera's were shipped than in december 2015. Januari 2017 shows about equal to januari 2016.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/dw-201701_e.pdf

It means digital is now a mature market. The past eight years were not representative of a mature market. Compacts are now called phone.
Something like that, yes. Perhaps two more years until full maturation.
03-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #746
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What happened with Nicolas (if I followed correctly), while in search of higher image quality, he upgraded from a K5 to K3, then he replaced his DA* SDM zooms by a set of FA limited, then he decided to put his photography budget in low prio versus other things (he's probably investing or saving in other areas), now he tried not to cross the fence of higher IQ because that would put his saving plans in danger, hence the lengthy argumentation about why full frame is not necessary etc etc etc. That's perfectly understandable, with all the marketing mermaid working out people desires to upgrade to better gear, you must constantly convince yourself that an upgrade is not necessary, that's what Nicolas is trying to do, so far he is successful as he managed not to buy any new photo gear. Also, if he can get some approval from a few PF member that higher image quality is useless, it makes it easier for him to consolidate the wall of sandbags to protect his bank account.
It is more than that, it is also know what improve most your photography. This is not necessarily gear and not necessarily cheaper. Remember the safaris photos. Cheapo gear DA55-300, and better wildlife photos than many with their 150-450, 150-600, 300 f/4 + TC... The key was taking care to get the subject first. And for the trip price I could have paid a K1 + 150-450.

You argument is you can wallsize for railstation or airport but I wonder... How often do you do that? I bet almost nobody do that there.

My point is that for everything there likely an optimum in quality, in price, in conveniance (size/weight) that also quite based by own personnal preferences, wealth and so on. We are all going toward more gear, myself included, heavier, bigger, better, more expensive but we already don't leverage the old one.

The goal for each of us would be to find that ideal. Just to take what is great. Manufacturer also did that for quite some time. Like Pentax providing reasonably sized lenses for maybe 30-50 years. And people taking 24-36 over MF because of size weight.

But now suddenly while the quality increased so much that the most offordable gear is more than good enough we suddenly feel the need to buy pure specs and review regardless of usefullness.

My point is that new 50 f/1.4 is not practical, It is a technical show, a bit like formula one for cars manufacturers. For most people a formula one is the wrong choice, even if they have the money and most would recognize it.

This is no difference there.

I understand why Pentax does it, I understand why it is necessary.

I understand that some will explain me I am amateur. I mean hopefully did you see how much the average pro photographer make as a living ?
I am too young. 34 years old, Still better eyes sight than most and still no need for glasses so I would think I would benefit more of more sharpness than many !
I am only using facebook only. Too bad I don't have an account
I do it only to save money. That why I have been to Tanzania for safari last september and plan to go to Cambodge
I never print and never see my picture at large size... That why I brough all theses frames for my wall and that why I just got that oled 55" TV and I using it to look at my photos (and currently to respond on a thread to Pentax forum).

This is just I think this lens is exactly like a formula one. The thing is photography is a solved problem. Gear doesn't evolve anymore in significant ways. This is why manufacturers are selling less and less. There nothing real new. So they try to sell what they can.

You can buy. No issue.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 03-03-2017 at 03:01 PM.
03-03-2017, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #747
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I never print and never see my picture at large size... .
Oh I think you should select one image from every travel and make a very nice large print on aluminium or glass or so. A treat for the rest of your life.
03-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #748

Oh I think you should select one image from every travel and make a very nice large print on aluminium or glass or so. A treat for the rest of your life.
It obviously was sarcasm!

---------- Post added 03-04-17 at 12:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What happened with Nicolas (if I followed correctly), while in search of higher image quality, he upgraded from a K5 to K3, then he replaced his DA* SDM zooms by a set of FA limited, then he decided to put his photography budget in low prio versus other things (he's probably investing or saving in other areas), now he tried not to cross the fence of higher IQ because that would put his saving plans in danger, hence the lengthy argumentation about why full frame is not necessary etc etc etc. That's perfectly understandable, with all the marketing mermaid working out people desires to upgrade to better gear, you must constantly convince yourself that an upgrade is not necessary, that's what Nicolas is trying to do, so far he is successful as he managed not to buy any new photo gear. Also, if he can get some approval from a few PF member that higher image quality is useless, it makes it easier for him to consolidate the wall of sandbags to protect his bank account.
I think you didnt understand: he likes to shoot with his FA31, FA77, DA15, DA21 and F135 f2.8.
Before, he had used DA17-70 f4 and DA50-135 f2.8. He sold them to go primes only because he didnt like the size and bulk of these zooms.

But for the Tanzania safari he needed a long telephoto.

Something light and compact with acceptable IQ, as ke knew he would not use it a lot once back home.
The answer is the DA 55-300, and, when I look at the images he brought back, it did the job beyond his expectations.

We were together, standing close to each other in the same car, watching the same scenes, shooting with exactly the same gear, but our albums are different: different framings, different contrast and clarity settings, different moments.
The gear is less important than the photographer.

Now he is back, and shoots again with his beloved limited primes: he posted photos from Nice carnaval, they are high ISO night shots at f2/f2.5, using FA31 and FA77 on APS-C K3. And they are nice and sharp, with good IQ at ISO 2000/8000, and the K3 nailed the focus.

Why should he want to change his K3 for a bigger, heavier and expensive K1?

It is not only a matter of available budget: I am retired, with a comfortable pension, I have K3 and a lot of gear, and enough money to buy K1 and modern lenses if I wanted to.
Yet I am not interested in such big and heavy gear, I am rather looking at M43 gear to go lighter and smaller. And also preparing the next nice trip to a faraway country.

I just bought a Panasonic GM5 with the miniature 12-32 kit lens. I wont sell my K3, as I love to shoot with it, but if M43 delivers up to my expectations, I might buy more M43 gear.

And I also use a pocketable Olympus XZ10 for occasions where a bigger camera would not be welcome.

Cameras are tools, what matters is the pictures I can get, and, when going out, I will choose the camera which I think will be the most convenient, and it is not always the biggest.
03-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #749
Pentaxian

OK, but definitely the wrong topic...
03-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #750
Pentaxian

If nothing else, we need a D-FA*50/1.4 because we need a weather-resistant option. I love my FA50/1.4 for its smallness compared with the expected price and mass of this new humungous beast, not to mention its back-compatibility with all my K-mount film bodies, but if you're the sort who loves (or needs) to shoot normal primes in the rain or other inclement environments it just won't do.
Closed Thread