Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #1246
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope it comes out this year. And hope it will be around 1000-1200$, otherwise would find it harder to justify for my photography budget)

07-18-2017, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #1247
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The price about 1500$

---------- Post added 07-18-17 at 04:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
To mask the 'HD' mention? They had left it on the golden ring.
DFA*50/1.4 will have new coat,new motor,new glass
07-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #1248
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Hope it comes out this year. And hope it will be around 1000-1200$, otherwise would find it harder to justify for my photography budget)
Not the markup profit they'd be seeking to justify such a project, Awscreo, you're better off looking for other options, IMHO.

Luckily, this is K-mount, there are fantastic ones going back forty years!
07-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #1249
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sony has a +/- 70MP FF sensor coming and I'm sure Ricoh and everyone else is designing for 100MP resolution. Its going to be a big lens.

One day someone is going to release a new mount with a curved sensor and that will reduce the size and cost of the glass needed by a considerable amount.
Funny you should mention a curved sensor. This came across my feed the other day.

CEA-Leti has developed a fully-functional curved full-frame image sensor: Digital Photography Review

Seems like it's been designed for astronomical uses. But how that would work seeing that such a sensor is really only good at one focal length I haven't a clue.

07-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #1250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
On that list da*200 and da*300 are listed as aps-c and not fullframe. Was that correct?
Of course not; those lenses - and the DA 560mm - have an APS-C designation, but they're covering full frame as well.
However, the lens names are correct

---------- Post added 19-07-17 at 02:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
The price about 1500$

Interesting. Inside info?
07-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #1251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
Funny you should mention a curved sensor. This came across my feed the other day.

CEA-Leti has developed a fully-functional curved full-frame image sensor: Digital Photography Review

Seems like it's been designed for astronomical uses. But how that would work seeing that such a sensor is really only good at one focal length I haven't a clue.
Where does it say that it only works for one focal length? A lens can be design for a flat focal plane, then it can be designed for a curved on as well.

---------- Post added 07-18-17 at 06:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
The price about 1500$

---------- Post added 07-18-17 at 04:01 PM ----------

And when can we expect to be able to buy one?
07-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #1252
Site Supporter

$1500 for a fast 50? I expected it to be pricey, but not that pricey.

07-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #1253
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1500$ is pretty steep for sure. I have the A 50 1.4, but I was really looking forward to the new one.. Manual wide open is a pain)
07-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #1254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where does it say that it only works for one focal length? A lens can be design for a flat focal plane, then it can be designed for a curved on as well.
While the news release doesn't mention it, a friend of mine who did optical design for JPL had this to say about the curved sensor.

"Re: curved sensor
The radius of curvature of the focal plane of a telescope is (usually, that is, without specific field flattener elements) directly proportional to the telescope's focal length. Although the formula differs for refractor versus newtonian versus cassegrain, etc., it's almost always a multiple of the focal length. For a Newtonian, its exactly the focal length. For a refractor, it's a fraction of the focal length depending on the index of refraction of the glasses. What I'm getting at, is that depending on your telescope type and its focal length, you need a different curvature of the sensor. So either this new sensor is going to be good only for a single focal length (per telescope type), or they have to produce MANY different curvatures (unlikely to be affordable to do that).
Interesting concept, but I can't see how it would work practically."
07-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #1255
Pentaxian

Each different focal length has an associated optimum different sensor curvature. Designing a lens for the "wrong" curvature involves re-introducing the complexities, costs, and size penalties designing lenses for a flat sensor.

That's why curved sensors make sense for fixed focal length cameras but not for ILCs or zooms
07-18-2017, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #1256
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Each different focal length has an associated optimum different sensor curvature. Designing a lens for the "wrong" curvature involves re-introducing the complexities, costs, and size penalties designing lenses for a flat sensor.

That's why curved sensors make sense for fixed focal length cameras but not for ILCs or zooms
The study of fixing field curvature by flexible image sensor array - IEEE Xplore Document

IMAGE SENSORS: Organic CMOS image sensors challenge silicon-based detectors

You are assuming a ridged sensor. We have flexible sensors now, but they are primitive. Like CMOS was 10 years ago. Let's fast forward 10 years and where will we be? A flexible sensor that allows the camera to adjust its curvature based on the lens that you mount.
07-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #1257
Pentaxian

Damn expensive, I hope the lens can perform as per asking price
07-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #1258
Pentaxian

The price is steep, but not unheard of - even ignoring Zeiss' Otus 55mm and of course any Leica, there's the Sony Planar and the Nikon 58mm.
07-19-2017, 12:16 AM   #1259
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Of course not; those lenses - and the DA 560mm - have an APS-C designation, but they're covering full frame as well. However, the lens names are correct
Well that is probably why they don't show them overhere in shops as lenses for fullframe. I did wonder about that, but Ricoh-Imaging is the source for this.

B&H is also not listig them as lenses for fullframe.
Pentax fullframe lenses
07-19-2017, 12:59 AM - 3 Likes   #1260
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well that is probably why they don't show them overhere in shops as lenses for fullframe. I did wonder about that, but Ricoh-Imaging is the source for this.

B&H is also not listig them as lenses for fullframe.
Pentax fullframe lenses
Ron, your fellow forum members have collected data and pictures for eight years in Falco's thread on DA lens performance on full frame, if you were interested in anything other than the Rumours section of this site.

I can give you a direct link to satisfy your curiosity.

In other threads I myself reported tests of various legacy lenses with my Sony A7 before purchasing a K-1.

While you're looking, why not be community minded and look at and like pictures from other people, post some yourself, help beginners with issues, welcome new members, give advice about photography issues, join in on conversations and get to know fellow Petaxians?

Last edited by clackers; 07-19-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Closed Thread