Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #1396
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Looks like these will at least share the 77mm filter shread....
72mm for the Pentax (unless they change the design)

07-25-2017, 12:14 AM - 3 Likes   #1397
Pentaxian

I don't get it. What is so hard to understand in this lens? If Pentax has already a D(F)A* 55 1.4 SDM, a DA 50 1.8, a 43 1.9 limited and you think this is it, then go for it. If you like the rendering of these, what else would you wish for? It's like ("inaccurate comparison alert") loving the sound of the tube amplifier and disliking modern linear output of modern amplifiers. Nothing wrong with this, it's a matter of taste (acquired or not) and every discussion about it will be useless.

But a modern imaging system deserves components which try to minimize errors (CA, coma, loss of resolution and contrast towards corners, vignetting, distortion, field curvature, etc...) the same way as an audio recording will look for linearity throughout it's recording chain. There are certain characteristics which might please the viewer/listener more than this images/recordings, but (and you might like it or not) some of these are easily reproduced with digital filters, if you want that. You can not correct for distortion, vignetting etc. without loosing contrast and sharpness in the corners etc. The more even the image from the beginning, the more options you have to work with.

I definitely don't see a problem if a manufacturer of optical recording systems offers the costumers more choices with including highly corrected lenses additionally to the already existing ones. I'm in photogrammetry and one of my preferred tools is the Ricoh GR, because of it's lens characteristics, it has incredibly even sharpness which is priceless if you need to work with overlapping images and produce textures for 3D models.

I'm pretty sure many astrophotographers would love the roadmapped high performers in the Pentax lineup, amongst many other people and if some prefer the rendering of the existing lenses, where would they suddenly have disappeared or what would have rendered them useless?

Last edited by MMVIII; 07-25-2017 at 12:27 AM.
07-25-2017, 01:02 AM   #1398
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think Pentax wants to attract Pros. They want wealthy amateurs. That's where the money is and I warrant most of the upper end cameras are sold to folks who will never sell a print in their lives.
Hey! I resemble that remark

07-25-2017, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #1399
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think Pentax wants to attract Pros..

07-25-2017, 04:49 AM - 3 Likes   #1400
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Even IF Ricoh would update the old FA50/1.4 with new coatings, round diaphragm, quick shift etc. and kept the size/weight there would be a bunch of guys here whining why there is no bottle cap opener implemented...
07-25-2017, 05:19 AM   #1401
Pentaxian

the only thing i want to know is: When can i spend my money?
07-25-2017, 05:19 AM   #1402
Pentaxian

the only thing i want to know is: When can i spend my money?

07-25-2017, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #1403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I'm pretty sure many astrophotographers would love the roadmapped high performers in the Pentax lineup, amongst many other people and if some prefer the rendering of the existing lenses, where would they suddenly have disappeared or what would have rendered them useless?
The issue is not that they are doing these lenses. The issue is that it's all they are doing. No variable aperture 3.5-5.6 lenses, no lightweight waterproof wide angles for the outdoorsy type. The only thing Pentax is doing right now is big heavy lenses too heavy and bulky to pack. And way to many of the older lenses are screw drive or not WR. It's not about current Pentax building these highly corrected monstrosities, it's about them pretty much abandoning the rest of us who need something lighter and more portable.

For those of us who regularly shoot at ƒ4 to ƒ8 it's absolutely ridiculous to ask us to carry ƒ2.8 glass or ƒ1.4, because that's all you make. The weight of 2.8 glass is at least twice that of ƒ4 glass. 1.4 glass is 4 times the weight of 2.8 glass.

We were conned into thinking this was a field camera. But the lenses are for the most part heavily corrected studio lenses. Portability and weight were not considered in the design process. This is a different pentax than the company was 10 years ao, and they are going after a different market entirely. The fact that you have a camera with Pentax on the front, doesn't mean they are developing gear for the same demographic they did in the past. many of us have been just waiting for new announcements because what they have for the FF right now is just completely inadequate.

The range of the the K-1 as a field camera for outdoor shooters is restricted to the 28-105 and 31 ltd. in the current catalogue. That's just sad. Of the 8400 images in my library, 1100 are less than 28mm in 35mm terms. 13 percent of my images are teak at less than 28mm. SO 13% of what I shoot can't be taken with my K-1. And I'm not even discussing the K-1 penalty shooting long glass. That's just the wide end. With all due respect to Pentax and it's managers, I'm not giving that up just to carry a K-1. Given the limits of new lens releases I'd say
"field camera schmeild camera". With current lenses it's a studio camera, or a concert camera. It's a camera for people who don't move around much, and who don't carry their gear on their own backs.

The notion that a lens has to be 1.4 or 2.8 to be sharp is preposterous. Folks are just making excuses for Pentax's refusal to look at modern ƒ4 or variable aperture designs in their current roadmap. It does save me money though. My only recent purchase from Pentax has been the 28-105. And there won't be another purchase until I can get a good sharp f4 lens to fill other parts of the K-1 camera bag.

I have what I need in APS-c gear. The fact that myself and many others may never buy another Pentax lens is going to hurt the company in ways they just can't even imagine yet, if you thought their market share is small now. Take away all the variable aperture and f4 shooters and it isn't 10% of what it is today.

It's nice Pentax has gone after this high end, high profit niche market. Too bad they've pretty much abandoned the rest of us.

Last edited by normhead; 07-25-2017 at 05:57 AM.
07-25-2017, 05:35 AM   #1404
Pentaxian

How about the 55-300 f/4.5-6.3 RE PLM? How about the D FA 28-105 f/3.5-5.6?
How about the 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6? (yeah, I'm pulling your leg with this one... sorry, couldn't resist! )
How about the 3 lenses from the roadmap which are not large aperture?
07-25-2017, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #1405
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Norm on this. Nothing wrong with making fast lenses with excellent technical image quality and huge size, but I really, really hope that's not all they'll do. I'd love to see a small wide prime for the K-1, say a 20mm f/4. If they make a big 20/1.8 as well that'd be great for those who need such a thing, but I certainly don't.

That said, I'll live happily with the older primes I have for longer focal lengths. I have no problems ignoring the incoming Army of Giants
07-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #1406
Pentaxian

Allow me to repeat myself: how about the 3 lenses from the roadmap which are not large aperture?
There were 3 D FA f/2.8 zooms - standard in any system. There are 3 large aperture lenses on the roadmap (likely all f/1.4). Only 3. It's not the end of the world, folks!
07-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #1407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How about the 55-300 f/4.5-6.3 RE PLM? How about the D FA 28-105 f/3.5-5.6?
How about the 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6? (yeah, I'm pulling your leg with this one... sorry, couldn't resist! )
How about the 3 lenses from the roadmap which are not large aperture?
I own the 28-105.

I own a Tamron 300 2.8 that with my 1.7x goes to 510mm ƒ4.5. the 150-450 would be a step backwards.

M travel season has started, I don't really care what's on the roadmap. I'm walking out the door right now with he Tammy and K-3. Tess saw some Bluebirds yesterday, maybe I'll get lucky.

I'll bring the K-1 with the 28-105 in the bag, but it probably won't get used.
07-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #1408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there will be variable aperture zooms to come out. I frankly doubt we will see an 85mm f1.8 though, as we already have the FA 77. We already have the 35 f2.4 and 50 f1.8. Eventually there will probably be a 20mm f2.8, but that probably is down the line a bit. Honestly, if you are shooting stopped down a bit anyway, the 28-105 is the way to go.
07-25-2017, 06:27 AM   #1409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
That said, I'll live happily with the older primes I have for longer focal lengths. I have no problems ignoring the incoming Army of Giants
Good..Because I've said it before, and I say it again..The time for the small lenses are gone Quality over size is the new way!
07-25-2017, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #1410
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm with Norm on this. Nothing wrong with making fast lenses with excellent technical image quality and huge size, but I really, really hope that's not all they'll do. I'd love to see a small wide prime for the K-1, say a 20mm f/4. If they make a big 20/1.8 as well that'd be great for those who need such a thing, but I certainly don't.

With limited resources, they are prioritizing what they are developing and releasing. I have every focal length covered in FF lenses from 15 to 200, and the FA limiteds until primes are developed and/or updated. At some point, they may release slower, smaller, less sharp alternatives, but right now they are rightfully covering the essentials to accommodate high MP sensors that can take them into the future.
Closed Thread