Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2017, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #1636
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'll take the dictionary definition for $1000.00. You have two legacy designed for film lenses and two APS-C lenses listed. I have both the FA 43 and the FA 50. Neither one is stellar on the K1, they are good but not great.
I agree that there are lenses missing in the wide and short tele category as well, whether or not they are more important than a good standard lens is an opinion. My opinion is the fast standard is more important. At the risk of coming across as a bit of a troll, Ricoh really needs to get their act together and put a few lenses out in a hurry. They need an ultra wide (~15mm), and some wides (20mm, 24, 28mm and 35mm), as well as a 50mm f/1.4, an 85/1.4 and a 135/2 or 2.8. These are basic system lenses that need to be available.
Sure. Pentax feels like they are going for the low hanging fruit first. The 50mm should be the easiest to design, but it still isn't forth coming. You can get by with the FA 77 instead of a DFA *85 and an FA 31 instead of the DFA 35 f1.4, but there are no primes in the teens or twenties right now, which feels like a big gap. But my guess is that the decided to develop based on what they thought would be easiest to design -- 50 then 85 then 35 then wide angle. It's just not been fast however you cut it.

08-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #1637
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What's the point of complaining ans asking for things, if you have no intention of buying their products?
well, personally speaking, I try not to complain, but I do want to see top class products from the Pentax stable, even if I can't afford them, because I want to see the brand getting back the respect it used to enjoy-maybe just to make me feel good about saying loyal for so long, maybe because I like to see good things rewarded.
08-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #1638
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
well, personally speaking, I try not to complain, but I do want to see top class products from the Pentax stable, even if I can't afford them, because I want to see the brand getting back the respect it used to enjoy-maybe just to make me feel good about saying loyal for so long, maybe because I like to see good things rewarded.

I think the complaining shows we care.. well to a degree. I mean I've yet to see anyone bellyaching over random unrealistic things (well maybe not the mirrorless deal); the complaints have largely been measured with a bit of reasoning behind them. Whether it be over AF, lens, video.. we all want to see improvement. And the brand should be welcome for it, because it shows people care about their products.

When the complaints cease, the brand should be very concerned. That means either everyone is satisfied (and no longer in need/want of anything further), or they have jumped ship.
08-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #1639
Pentaxian

I was speaking generally - I don't remember you going overboard, and I guess biz-engineer wasn't thinking about you either
This is about "make sure that the most wanted is what's not available", or dissatisfaction with what is available.
And in the end, expressing concern doesn't have much value if it's not backed by our money.

08-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #1640
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
... and then continue shooting with our Sony's.
Never!

*shudders*
08-25-2017, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #1641

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Doesn't mean I shouldn't be - I was really addressing the point of people with a lot to say about Pentax who don't actually buy the products - in this instance I'll probably be one of them, and I want to be fair on me
I may complain a lot but I also have spent several thousand dollars on the K-1, 24-70/2.8,15-30/2.8, and sigma 35mm. Not to mention a K-50 and several lenses before. If Pentax/Ricoh doesn't get their game together soon and release the 50/80, as well as make a 24 f/1.4, I'll have no choice but to invest more heavily in other systems. Of course, I'll still keep the K-1 because it's an awesome camera, but there will be no incentive to further buy any K-mount cameras or lenses.

Not all complainers are necessarily trolls who have no investment in the system.
08-25-2017, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #1642
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think the complaining shows we care.. well to a degree. I mean I've yet to see anyone bellyaching over random unrealistic things (well maybe not the mirrorless deal); the complaints have largely been measured with a bit of reasoning behind them. Whether it be over AF, lens, video.. we all want to see improvement. And the brand should be welcome for it, because it shows people care about their products.

When the complaints cease, the brand should be very concerned. That means either everyone is satisfied (and no longer in need/want of anything further), or they have jumped ship.
QuoteOriginally posted by twomonger Quote
may complain a lot but I also have spent several thousand dollars on the K-1, 24-70/2.8,15-30/2.8, and sigma 35mm. Not to mention a K-50 and several lenses before. If Pentax/Ricoh doesn't get their game together soon and release the 50/80, as well as make a 24 f/1.4, I'll have no choice but to invest more heavily in other systems. Of course, I'll still keep the K-1 because it's an awesome camera, but there will be no incentive to further buy any K-mount cameras or lenses.

Not all complainers are necessarily trolls who have no investment in the system.
I think these are reasonable points - there's a world of difference between complaining out of frustration about something you really care about and trolling or never being satisfied or constantly harping on Pentax's shortcomings versus a constantly shifting array of products from other manufacturers - it's not always an easy difference to spot, though, when you don't already know where the person's heart is. There are also cultural and personal issues - some cultures or people go in heavy or provocatively, others are more circumspect. A bit of a minefield really! Another good reason to remain respectful, I guess - though we all have our own (different!) breaking points

08-26-2017, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #1643
Veteran Member

And what makes it perfect is the brand
No. I really don't like Sony that much as a brand. At one point I was going to sell my A7II and lenses, but I love that 55mm F/1.8 lens. I have sold everything but that lens and the A7II body. If Fuji or Olympus made a FF MILC camera with comparable lens I would switch. Both Fuji and Olympus make better cameras than Sony. If Sony will put the A9 AF and body in the A7III I might be expanding my Sony gear. The Zeiss Batis lenses are pretty nice.
08-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #1644
Pentaxian

Fair enough
I like (and use) Sony's smartphones but their cameras, hmm... they work, sure, but they're more electronic gadgets than photographic tools. Minolta's legacy, sadly, is gone.
Fat chance I'd give up on Pentax for that.
08-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #1645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Minolta's legacy, sadly, is gone.
Not quite - they also threw everything they had at breaking the Canon-Nikon top end duopoly - or that's what it looked like, anyway
08-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #1646
Pentaxian

Well, I don't see it in those Sony cameras...
08-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #1647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I don't see it in those Sony cameras...
just ;cos you fail, doesn't mean you didn't try
08-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #1648
Pentaxian

Uhh... "fail"? I successfully didn't see what is not there.
08-29-2017, 10:33 PM   #1649
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fair enough
I like (and use) Sony's smartphones but their cameras, hmm... they work, sure, but they're more electronic gadgets than photographic tools. .
A lot of pro-shooters use A7 versions world-wide. A9 is the new level of FF mirrorless camera. Unachievable for Nikon, Canon or Ricoh.
It's really cool working tools. Try Sony and the world will be opened for you from new point of view.
08-29-2017, 11:35 PM   #1650
Pentaxian

Are you speaking from personal experience?
Closed Thread