Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2017, 06:07 AM   #1936
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not 100% on board with Kunzite's statement about screw drive, but on my last test of 200mm lenses (not posted as I no longer have a posting site i want to use) I tested 7 lenses that can adjusted to 200mm. The screw drive lenses were the fastest focusing, but the slower SDM drives DA*200, and DA*60-250 were accurate more than 80% of the time. The screw drive lenses I was happy to get one of the five. On every shot I set the lens to infinity or close minimum focussing distance, forced the camera to focus and shot with the 2 second delay on the timer.

The lenses involved were the F 70-210 which I suspect is my fastest focusing lens , 1 out of 5, the Sigma 70-300, 1 out of 5, the FA 28-200, 3 out of 5. I'd like to see similar results a few times before I'm 100% but initial results indicate Kunzite may be on to something. Tests performed on the K-3.

These are all relatively inexpensive lenses, and the DoF at 200mm and ƒ 5.6 at 20 feet is a little thin. Nevertheless, the DA*s nailed it. I don't have any better quality screw dries to compare to.

Last edited by normhead; 10-31-2017 at 06:17 AM.
10-31-2017, 07:15 AM   #1937
ogl
Banned

I tried 17-40/4 USM L today - it's noiseless and superfast lens.
If DFA*50 could be the same, it's good...

But it's rather strange that first Pentax-Ricoh ring motor will be on 2018 year...
Colossal engineering lag from all another photo brands...
10-31-2017, 07:18 AM   #1938
Pentaxian

I'll state the obvious, those lenses were successfully used for decades, capable hands can get exceptional results. I'm not saying they're "bad". I'm saying the new lenses are better.
The gears in the screw drive mechanism must have some slack in order to work/move. If this is an issue or not, depends on multiple factors, including if it's a new or well maintained lens, or an older one showing some wear. How many lenses are seeing regular CLAs nowadays?
11-01-2017, 03:57 AM   #1939
ogl
Banned

I think this lens will be not lower than 1500USD.

11-01-2017, 04:17 AM   #1940
Pentaxian

There are current reasons to believe the lens will be available for less than $1,500 / 1.300$ at street price.
11-01-2017, 04:25 AM   #1941
Pentaxian

What current reasons?
We'll see about the price, however the Nikkor 58mm f/1.4 is $1600 and the Sony Planar 50mm f/1.4 is $1500. If that's the price for having top-notch optics and Pentax' first ring-type motor...
11-01-2017, 06:58 AM   #1942
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$1296 initial offering. Will settle or bounce back to $899 during sale.
I don't see a reason for RI to MRP that lens any higher.

11-01-2017, 06:59 AM   #1943
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
While I have no doubt that is true In your world view. It's pretty sceptical compared to many others.

Go to this page and check how many "likes" here are in the K-1 thread. If "likes" are "meat" there's more meat on the K-1 than any other Pentax camera, probably all the others combined and it's out performed cameras that have been out 5 years.

Pentax K-1 - PentaxForums.com
I “like” the K1 as well, though I’m not sure how much “likes” mean on a fanboy website.
QuoteQuote:

The enthusiasm for this camera has been lights out from day 1. I know this won't change your opinion, but you should at least be aware, others think very differently.

What you think, doesn't really matter for the people who post in this thread and how much they like the images taken with the camera. They just keep shooting and enjoying what they shoot, regardless of len is used or the assumed lack of lenses. It's amazing how much joy people can get out of a "meatless" camera. We just keep enjoying out K-1s with whatever we own.

I guess one person's "bare bones" is another's cornucopia. It's all about where you're coming from. Some look down from above and say, it doesn't reach my highest, others look up from below and think that's something I could never attain. They're both looking at the same thing. It's all about where they are looking from a personal perspective... but the overall forum response is not the one you've put forward.

The only people disappointed are those who wanted all new lenses for their K-1. Most of us aren't like that.
Most of us like the lenses we own and are delighted to be able to use them more effectively.

And the K-1 is a joy to use regardless of what I put on it. We don't need no stinking new lenses to be happy with this camera.
Perhaps you don’t. Some of us would like the advantages of glass designed for digital photography.

---------- Post added 11-01-17 at 08:08 AM ----------

QuoteQuote:
Trashing older glass is counterproductive. Especially with lenses like the FA lids. They were designed to be light weight easily portable options, not to compete with the best test chart lenses out there. They emphasize 3D rendering over test chart performance. Unlike what has been implied in this thread, the release of new heavily corrected, heavy, faster silenter lenses, well, that's not what they were designed to compete with. They are as relevant as ever. That's why they are still in the stores.
These lenses are still in the stores because it’s easier to live on the laurels of former success than it is to strive to succeed.
QuoteQuote:

Push the new lenses all you want. But, they aren't relevant to a lot of people. And certainly not what you should be holding up as examples of lenses that will replace legacy glass. Those legacy lenses will always have their place. The new lenses take their place beside them, not supplanting them.
Sure, they will always have their place. So do Model T Fords.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-01-2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Removed rude / inflammatory remark & bickering
11-01-2017, 07:09 AM   #1944
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
$1296 initial offering. Will settle or bounce back to $899 during sale.
I don't see a reason for RI to MRP that lens any higher.
And what would be the reason for a price almost half of the Nikkor 58mm f/1.4, and lower than a 3rd-party lens like the Sigma Art?
"I don't want to pay for a Pentax" is not an acceptable answer
11-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #1945
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think this lens will be not lower than 1500USD.
I think $1,200 is the upper limit here in the USA. The lens would have to have some pretty amazing glass to get over $1,000. The Sigma ART is $1,000. Sony FE 50mm F/.4 is $1,500 and the 85mm GM is $1,800. Looking at how Ricoh priced the D-FA* 70-200mm relative to the Canon and Nikon versions, I don't see the D-FA* 50mm going over $1,200.
11-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #1946
Veteran Member

I see it around the same price as the initial offering of the 15-30 (ish).
11-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #1947
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And what would be the reason for a price almost half of the Nikkor 58mm f/1.4, and lower than a 3rd-party lens like the Sigma Art?
"I don't want to pay for a Pentax" is not an acceptable answer
Part of the problem is that they are competing with a plethora of their own FF compatible 50s (and really good ones). Let alone the overlap from D-FA 24-70/2.8.
I am not even considering TP lens makers on pricing at this time. The ring motor and implied AF speed that comes with it is the only selling point for this 50 besides great optic and WR.
But then Pentax has done samplers (as in experiments with no long term sale/production in mind) before like the 300mmPLM lens which I wonder if it has sold much (or was much sale able I presume). Techs like those have not deterred them from experimenting and investing in a full production run although not profitable.

Ring motor seems like a a longer term investment than the PLM tech and a break through into FAST AF realm if I judge this right. The faster way to wipe out the perceived slow AF notion of its users is to put out a ring motor driven 50 at a palatable price point to the potential buyers. It is NOT going to be "DA50" cheap for sure but then these other things set up a price barrier for them to begin with.
And no "I don't want to pay for a Pentax" is not an answer for sure. Sigma 12-24 (came for very cheap like new from Adorama) and Bigma are the only offenders in my bag right now. I dont like the Bigma much especially having used the DA*300 + TC. Its like the taste of blood (I am a vegetarian but just saying). Once you use Pentax '*' optics its hard to fall back to other options.
11-01-2017, 09:02 AM - 3 Likes   #1948
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
The ring motor and implied AF speed that comes with it is the only selling point for this 50 besides great optic and WR.
"Besides the ring motor, great optic and build, what had this D FA* 50mm f/1.4 ever done for us?"
11-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #1949
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Besides the ring motor, great optic and build, what had this D FA* 50mm f/1.4 ever done for us?"
It is going to change lives.

11-01-2017, 09:12 AM - 4 Likes   #1950
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Aqueducts! Beautiful pixelshift photos of aqueducts!

(Now I'm pining for the fjords where this lens might be useful.)
Closed Thread