Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #2011
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I see. Then I guess we still have the 55 1.4) it's AW right? Should be pretty tough. I saw few on ebay for pretty reasonable amounts, below $500 used
That is a really nice lens but it does not cover the FF format. Pentax just needs to pick up their game with two or three new primes for their new FF camera. The 50 1.4 is a nice start and long over due in my opinion. They needed to get the zooms out of the way 1st I guess.

Last edited by JamesDCrockett; 11-05-2017 at 11:55 AM.
11-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #2012
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JamesDCrockett Quote
That is a really nice lens but it does not cover the FF format. Pentax just needs to pick up their game with two or three new primes for their new FF camera. The 50 1.4 is a nice start and long over due in my opinion. They needed to get the zooms out of the way 1st I guess.
I think it does cover it though, probably to the same degree that my da 50 1.8 covers it - there's some softness in the extreme corners but looks fine overall. I'm all for the new dfa 50 1.4 though, I'm torn between the new 50 and the 15-30, can only afford one of them, trying to figure out which one.
11-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #2013
Pentaxian

New inoffical infos arrived:
yaotomi.co.jp/blog/used/2017/10/hd-pentax-d-fa50mmf14-sdm-aw.html

Short résumée from yaotomi:
  • A newly developed ring type SDM (ultrasonic motor) that realizes high-speed and quiet AF
  • The movement of ring type SDM is exactly the same feeling with Canon's USM
  • The shortest shooting distance of 0.4 m is achieved
  • Instead of mechanical iris type, electromagnetic iris
  • The number of diaphragm blades is 9
  • Adopt AW (dust-proof and drip-proof) structure to suppress invasion of rain particles and dust under harsh photographic environment
  • The lens hood has Penta's traditional handicraft, detachable PL operation window cover
  • The weight is slightly heavier than Sigma's Art 50 mm F 1.4
  • Filter size is 72 mm
  • Release date: scheduled for spring around 2018
11-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #2014
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a really nice lens but it does not cover the FF format.
You are incorrect the DA*55 f/1.4 does cover the FF image circle. It has some corner vignetting but really no different than the DA 50mm f/1.8 or the FA 50mm f/1.4. Several forum members have posted quite a few pictures taken with it.
Pentax just needs to pick up their game with two or three new primes for their new FF camera.
Quite true and far longer in coming than anyone expected, but they are on the way.

11-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #2015
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You are incorrect the DA*55 f/1.4 does cover the FF image circle. It has some corner vignetting but really no different than the DA 50mm f/1.8 or the FA 50mm f/1.4. Several forum members have posted quite a few pictures taken with it.

Quite true and far longer in coming than anyone expected, but they are on the way.
I am just going by what BHPhoto and Adormama says and also what the Pentax K-mount roadmap states for compatible FF lenses. I understand they can be close but I will wait on the newer 50 and see what their plan is after that.

---------- Post added 11-05-17 at 01:52 PM ----------

I think it does cover it though, probably to the same degree that my da 50 1.8 covers it - there's some softness in the extreme corners but looks fine overall. I'm all for the new dfa 50 1.4 though, I'm torn between the new 50 and the 15-30, can only afford one of them, trying to figure out which one.
I was torn also and considered going ahead and buying the 15-30 this year. I am going to wait now and get the new 50 1.4. I love primes and hate paying good money for zooms. I may still end up with a 15-30; but I am hoping by waiting they release info on a wide angle prime soon after the 50 is released.
11-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #2016

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I notice that it was the same minimum focusing distance as the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art - must be a rebadge

EDIT: - I just want to make it absolutely clear that this remark was not intended to be taken seriously - apologies for any consternation caused
Don't know why people get so worked up that would be a good thing. Who has better autofocus primes 85mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 20mm, 24mm, 135mm it would be instant excellent full frame lenses.
11-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #2017
Veteran Member

I am just going by what BHPhoto and Adormama says and also what the Pentax K-mount roadmap states for compatible FF lenses. I understand they can be close but I will wait on the newer 50 and see what their plan is after that.

---------- Post added 11-05-17 at 01:52 PM ----------

I was torn also and considered going ahead and buying the 15-30 this year. I am going to wait now and get the new 50 1.4. I love primes and hate paying good money for zooms. I may still end up with a 15-30; but I am hoping by waiting they release info on a wide angle prime soon after the 50 is released.
I'm leaning towards the UWA zoom, as I do a lot more landscape work than anything else, and I think it'd be worth my money to upgrade where I need the ultimate performance the most. So UWA first, filter system for it with filters second, then maybe in a year or two - the 50 1.4

11-05-2017, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #2018
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
Don't know why people get so worked up that would be a good thing. Who has better autofocus primes 85mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 20mm, 24mm, 135mm it would be instant excellent full frame lenses.
I think the point is that the Pentax will not only be better, but needs to be better than the Sigma - Pentax needs to reestablish a reputation for being able to produce high quality equipment, not just fill holes in their offering
11-05-2017, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #2019
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
Ricoh is trying to get new users from other brands. There is less incentive to come across to Pentax if the best lenses you can get for the K1 are the same as the Canon/Nikon body that you have already purchased and aclimatized too. But If Pentax has lenses the quality of the Dfa* 70-200/2.8, combining sharp edge perfomance, beautiful OOF transitions, great micro contrast and flare control due to best coatings, and quick and Quiet AF to pair with the benefits of the K1 IBIS goodness?
AF is the one area that pentax has been traditionally lacking in. The new ring type SDM in the 50/1.4 is the tech people have been waiting a long time for (no thanks to Hoya). Photographers have always loved pentax IQ, its the other things that have put them off.
11-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #2020
Forum Member

I'm leaning towards the UWA zoom, as I do a lot more landscape work than anything else, and I think it'd be worth my money to upgrade where I need the ultimate performance the most. So UWA first, filter system for it with filters second, then maybe in a year or two - the 50 1.4
I like the fast 50 but would prefer a fast prime in the 20 to 35 range as well. It is a tough call but at least I have until after Christmas to decide.
11-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #2021
Pentaxian

I think the point is that the Pentax will not only be better, but needs to be better than the Sigma - Pentax needs to reestablish a reputation for being able to produce high quality equipment, not just fill holes in their offering
Did you say "Pentax needs"? Who knows what needs lurk in the heart of the Pentax? Maybe the Shadow?
11-05-2017, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #2022
Forum Member

I think if they can match Sigma's performance while providing the quality build that goes into a weather resistant lens, they will be well on their way to being a better choice. Two of my primary reasons for choosing the FF K1 over Sony, Canon, and Nikon is the built in IS and their history of making rock solid weather resistant products at a very competitive price.

Last edited by JamesDCrockett; 11-05-2017 at 07:56 PM.
11-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #2023
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You are both Correct and incorrect, it does and does not cover the FF image circle. I Owned the lens, have examples of both with/without heavy vignetting, and that is without the Lens hood. I can post them if need be with no corrections, except for Conversion from DNG to JPEG. To the most part though it does cover the FF image circle.Not sure how the DA or FA 50 are.
11-05-2017, 11:55 PM   #2024
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Did you say "Pentax needs"? Who knows what needs lurk in the heart of the Pentax? Maybe the Shadow?
I refer to exogenous existential needs, not endogenous needs

(Besides, my camera has many needs, and frequently communicates them to me )
11-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #2025
Pentaxian

I think the point is that the Pentax will not only be better, but needs to be better than the Sigma
Not.

As any OEM lens it just "needs" to achieve about 90% of the performance of the best lens on the market to be able to be priced at +50% more than 3rd party products (in this case = >1,500 EUR) and still be a good success.

That always was the case and always will be.
Closed Thread