Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2017, 02:55 AM   #2206

The new 50 has a Zeiss-like quality to it wide open. But sharpness goes beyond just center. With bangin' AF to boot.

12-13-2017, 03:39 AM   #2207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
The new 50 has a Zeiss-like quality to it wide open. But sharpness goes beyond just center. With bangin' AF to boot.
Would you like to share some pictures?
12-13-2017, 05:38 AM   #2208

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Would you like to share some pictures?
I'm just going by what we've seen here

12-13-2017, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #2209
Pentaxian

I'm just going by what we've seen here
Shall I infer from the above that you have also seen the autofocus behaviour "here"?

12-13-2017, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #2210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why pick on him? It looks like a nice lens. We'll know more when we get longer reports from end users.
12-13-2017, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #2211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Why pick on him? It looks like a nice lens. We'll know more when we get longer reports from end users.
Because people aren't allowed to say good things about Pentax equipment here. Anything Pentax must be assumed to be terrible until proven to be better. Yet with every new announcement from other companies, everything is assumed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's a strange thing.

Last edited by normhead; 12-13-2017 at 07:59 AM.
12-13-2017, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #2212
Veteran Member

Why this lens, that it seems to be already made, is not in my hands?
Ricoh, hear me..Please let me review it, Ill take good care of it..
2 weeks, top..
So the 1.4 is indeed around the world, usually we see beta tests of camera stuff a month before release..December 31 possible?
Do we focus eyebrows for portraits?

12-13-2017, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #2213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Because people aren't allowed to say good things about Pentax equipment here. Anything Pentax must be assumed to be terrible until proven to be better.
No one chided him for saying good things about Pentax. He was chided for saying
With bangin' AF to boot.
Nzondlo stated it as if he had some first hand knowledge of the AF performance, rather than wording it as a hope, wish, or expectation. I think it will have the best AF of any lens Pentax has ever produced. However, we have no way to evaluate the AF from the two sample photos.
12-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #2214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a strange thing.
It's a consumer thing. Even professional camera business owners are laughing about it.
12-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #2215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's a consumer thing. Even professional camera business owners are laughing about it.
Lot of people laughs at really strange things...nothing to worry about that, unless you are an comedian.
12-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #2216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
No one chided him for saying good things about Pentax. He was chided for saying Nzondlo stated it as if he had some first hand knowledge of the AF performance, rather than wording it as a hope, wish, or expectation. I think it will have the best AF of any lens Pentax has ever produced. However, we have no way to evaluate the AF from the two sample photos.
You know, I don't read anything about "the best AF of any lens Pentax has ever produced" in Nzondlo's post...
12-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #2217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You know, I don't read anything about "the best AF of any lens Pentax has ever produced" in Nzondlo's post...
agree, just an expression that it'll be great AF, which is reasonable to expect/think based on what we know of a new SDM ring motor (hope described correctly), and a general trend in Pentax lenses to improve on speed, and given what we think it's competing against etc, yes, really nice bang up autofocus is hopefully a given.
12-13-2017, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #2218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
agree, just an expression that it'll be great AF, which is reasonable to expect/think based on what we know of a new SDM ring motor (hope described correctly), and a general trend in Pentax lenses to improve on speed, and given what we think it's competing against etc, yes, really nice bang up autofocus is hopefully a given.
I think designing the DA 55-300 PLM was almost an admission by Pentax that their cameras can effectively use much faster focusing lenses than they have been building up until now. That being said I rarely use anything auger 200mm for anything that would truly need a really fast focussing lens.
12-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #2219
Veteran Member

Speaking of AF.. we can infer a lot from the specifics. It is a * lens, so it should have silent AF. The new silent AF motors that Pentax used in the last few lenses are pretty good, right? The new 50mm also has fast aperture, so AF even in low light should be fine. It seems to be sharp and contrasty with low CA, which helps with AF (especially live view)
Let's compare its AF to the competition. The DFA* 50mm AF will probably be something a bit better than the DA* 55mm (which has the old SDM). The Zeiss Otus 50mm has no AF at all. The Sigma 50mm art is not available in Kmount, but the 30mm and 35mm Sigma art lenses both have some AF issues on Pentax cameras. The DFA 50mm f2.8 macro probably has slower AF because it has longer focus throw and no special AF motor. Will DFA* 50mm on K-1 have AF faster than Nikon D5 with a top Nikon prime? Probably not. AF has a lot to do with camera, not just lens. Keep in mind the price range of the lens and camera.

So I think it is completely fair to say this new DFA* 50mm will have some of the fastest AF performance that Pentax can offer, even if we did not see AF lab and field tests. It would be a terrible surprise if DFA* 50mm AF would be slower than the DA 50mm f1.8. No point in jumping someone who said it will have "great af", especially since 80% of the posters in this thread won't even buy the new DFA* 50mm.. but please, feel free to comment which Kmount lens you think will have faster AF.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-13-2017 at 07:46 PM.
12-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #2220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think designing the DA 55-300 PLM was almost an admission by Pentax that their cameras can effectively use much faster focusing lenses than they have been building up until now.
Totally agree with that! Even though I have other similar lenses, I had to bite on the sale B&H has going on as I type this ($371.95). I'm really impressed. It's as instant feeling as my friends D810 I played with not long ago. I'm very hopeful that this is the new norm. Also, if it takes giving up the mechanical aperture control, so be it. At some point, if it's factors like that adding up to slowness, changes must happen.
Closed Thread