Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2017, 02:33 AM   #2341
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I sort of agree and disagree:

I love he pixel density on APS-C 24Mp for wildlife - cropability for birds etc and fine detail for macro - and that would require over 50Mp on FF to replicate - but I also think that around 36Mp is a sweet spot for FF (given current technology) - it gives plenty of detail but good smooth transitions and high ISO and allows decent sized landscape prints with a bit of breathing space. I wouldn't want that to be much less for my style of photography. But it's very difficult not to be lured into more and more Mp when you see the crops available to the D850 etc - you just have to remind yourself what photography is really about.
I'm sure if I spent a few days shooting a K-1, I'd fall in love with the extra resolution. Anyway, it's a nice dry day up here, so I better dust off the Samsung GX-10...

12-27-2017, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #2342

If I was Ricoh President responsible for imaging business i would revamp the lenses line by bringing the budget 35/50/85 f/2 lenses with WR and DC motors as quickly as i can. Those lenses are the best sellers in any system and can be made cheaply and in large amounts to finance more ambitious projects, as for example f/1.4 line and zooms.
12-27-2017, 03:36 AM - 2 Likes   #2343
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Ugh, I don't understand the amount of negativity I have seen lately. It has driven me away from the forums. I keep coming back less and less. If I could buy a DFA*24-105 F4 lens for my K-1 it most likely would rarely come off. I have my DFA 28-105 which is just great. I do not know one professional photographer, and I know quite a few, who does not own a 70-200 f2.8 lens. I could not imagine shooting a wedding without one. The DFA*50 will definitely be a welcomed addition to the Pentax line up. I already have my DA*55 which I am quite happy with. The lens will be released when it is released. The DFA*85 is more appealing to me but I am sure it will be out of my price range so I will stick with my Rokinon 85 1.4. Pentax is such a small share of the market new items can only be released so fast. Release too many at once and you flood the market and do not recover profits fast enough. If you feel the need to always have the newest and "greastest" gear than switch brands and stop your whinning. Go pay twice the cost for your gear and let the rest of us enjoy taking photos with our outdated substandard gear. I know I certainly enjoy using all of mine.
Spend more time on the photo threads, less on news and rumors. This is where the negativity lives. Unfortunately, it is also the most frequented part of the forum and one that sometimes feels like a pre-divorce whining session where people show up to complain about how Pentax "isn't meeting their needs."

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Agreed.

Personally, I've topped out at 24Mp... with my K-3/K-3II, Sony A7II and Hasselblad HV (Sony A99). I do understand why some people may need more (probably far fewer than those who want more), but I'm never going to be one of them. 24Mp provides me with all of the detail and most of the cropping range I'll ever need, and I don't sit around waiting for files to upload or obsess about the amount of disk space they take up...

There's a whole bunch of us on these forums still enjoying the 6 and 10Mp cameras from years back. The images look great to me
I think going forward the whole point of APS-C will be to provide slightly cheaper cameras than full frame and to provide more reach. Technically, the K-1 has the same reach as a K5 and if you shoot in APS-C mode, you basically get a K5 image. I don't shoot much wildlife/birds, but I can see how folks who do would appreciate having a little more pixel density to get a little tighter crop.

Last edited by Rondec; 12-27-2017 at 07:01 AM.
12-27-2017, 03:36 AM   #2344
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
If I was Ricoh President responsible for imaging business i would revamp the lenses line by bringing the budget 35/50/85 f/2 lenses with WR and DC motors as quickly as i can. Those lenses are the best sellers in any system and can be made cheaply and in large amounts to finance more ambitious projects, as for example f/1.4 line and zooms.
Can we vote you into the position?

12-27-2017, 05:03 AM   #2345
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Spend more time on the photo threads, less on news and rumors. This is where the negativity lives. Unfortunately, it is also the most frequented part of the forum and one that sometimes feels like a pre-divorce whining session where people show to complain about how Pentax "isn't meeting their needs."
I agree completely. I was just venting, sometimes you just need that. Everytime I think Pentax isn't meeting my needs I just look at what the other manufacturers have to offer. Essentially it is just lenses I would not buy or can not afford. My ASP-C lineup is covered from 8mm to 500mm. My K-1 is covered from 12mm to 500mm. I have absolutely no reason or desire to complain. I do know someday I will have that DFA*70-200 though.

Lately I have not been taking many photos due to health problems, so I have been venturing into other areas. Hopefully the new year will bring a change to that.
12-27-2017, 06:20 AM   #2346
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Ugh why, I don't need file sizes to keep getting bigger and bigger!!
32MP gets up 8K native. The 2020 Olympics in Tokyo will be broadcast in 8K. Both Sony and Panasonic will be selling 8K TVs in the Japanese market and they need to have 8K sensors on the market to produce content. Content drives sales. Both Sony and Panasonic will be producing APS-C & m4/3 sensors that can handle 8K native. We might even see the Sony A7sIII (or A9s) this year with native 8K support. I believe the HDMI standard was updated this year for 8K bandwidth and we are seeing USB-c ports on the A7RIII.

The Sony 100MP BSI medium format sensor is on the schedule for early next year so the 70MP FF and 32MP APS-C will all be hitting the market at the same time since they share the same wafer. The 32MP APS-C BSI CMOS sensor should have the same pixel pitch as the older 24MP APS-C so we should still see image quality improvements. Sony is going to focus on making sensors for mirrorless cameras and those features might not be what DSLR users need. Ricoh needs to find a sensor fabricator to work with. Nikon has started pulling away from Sony. The D5, Df, D850, and D7xxx series have all moved to other suppliers. I think the D750 & D500 are the only Nikons that uses a Sony sensor at this point.

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I love he pixel density on APS-C 24Mp for wildlife - cropability for birds etc and fine detail for macro - and that would require over 50Mp on FF to replicate - but I also think that around 36Mp is a sweet spot for FF (given current technology) - it gives plenty of detail but good smooth transitions and high ISO and allows decent sized landscape prints with a bit of breathing space. I wouldn't want that to be much less for my style of photography. But it's very difficult not to be lured into more and more Mp when you see the crops available to the D850 etc - you just have to remind yourself what photography is really about.
I love 24MP for a lot of reasons, but when you get up to 36MP+/- on a FF you have enough pixel density to remove the AA filter and that also has several advantages.
12-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #2347
Pentaxian

unsubscribed.

12-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #2348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The Sony 100MP BSI medium format sensor is on the schedule for early next year so the 70MP FF and 32MP APS-C will all be hitting the market at the same time since they share the same wafer.
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
32MP gets up 8K native. The 2020 Olympics in Tokyo will be broadcast in 8K. Both Sony and Panasonic will be selling 8K TVs in the Japanese market and they need to have 8K sensors on the market to produce content. Content drives sales. Both Sony and Panasonic will be producing APS-C & m4/3 sensors that can handle 8K native. We might even see the Sony A7sIII (or A9s) this year with native 8K support. I believe the HDMI standard was updated this year for 8K bandwidth and we are seeing USB-c ports on the A7RIII.

The Sony 100MP BSI medium format sensor is on the schedule for early next year so the 70MP FF and 32MP APS-C will all be hitting the market at the same time since they share the same wafer. The 32MP APS-C BSI CMOS sensor should have the same pixel pitch as the older 24MP APS-C so we should still see image quality improvements. Sony is going to focus on making sensors for mirrorless cameras and those features might not be what DSLR users need. Ricoh needs to find a sensor fabricator to work with. Nikon has started pulling away from Sony. The D5, Df, D850, and D7xxx series have all moved to other suppliers. I think the D750 & D500 are the only Nikons that uses a Sony sensor at this point.
And that why everyone has to buy a 50 1.4?

SO we can use it on a 100MP sensor?

Most of us can't afford the 51 MP 645z, but we have to prepare for a 100 MP FF 645?

Prepare to completely ignore it maybe.

I guess we have the starry eyed reports of 100 MP sensors to look forward to, I can hardly wait.

It's amazing how few of these starry eyed reposts actually end up affecting my photographic life.

Last edited by normhead; 12-27-2017 at 09:11 AM.
12-28-2017, 10:58 AM   #2349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And that why everyone has to buy a 50 1.4?

SO we can use it on a 100MP sensor?

Most of us can't afford the 51 MP 645z, but we have to prepare for a 100 MP FF 645?

Prepare to completely ignore it maybe.

I guess we have the starry eyed reports of 100 MP sensors to look forward to, I can hardly wait.

It's amazing how few of these starry eyed reposts actually end up affecting my photographic life.
Amen!!!!
01-04-2018, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #2350
Pentaxian

Original Poster
01-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #2351
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can't be a Sigma 50 Art rebadge, then, because the Pentax weighs more;

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Review
01-04-2018, 07:46 AM   #2352

Could someone translate?
01-04-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #2353
Pentaxian

A few pieces of information from the above document:

- length: 11.5cm
- maximum diameter: 8cm
- weight: 830g
- filter thread diameter: 72mm
- 9 aperture blades
- KAF4 mount
- minimum focusing distance: 0.4m
- corresponding working distance (measured from the front element): 25cm
- maximum magnification: 0.19x
- lens hood: PH-RBB72.
01-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #2354
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not exactly a lightweight lens.
01-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #2355
Pentaxian

Slightly heavier than the Sigma Art - I assume they're using more metal. Slightly longer.
Smaller diameter though.
Closed Thread