Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #2386
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
...The K1 is a professional level camera and Ricoh are choosing to release professional lenses to match so they can get professional shooters from other brands to buy into the Pentax System.
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
As I've said before - in so many words - I think Pentax needs this lens more than I do - more than many of us do - but it needs top quality modern primes to be the premium brand it aspires to be, whatever the actual sales figures are...
And that's probably what it all comes down to: producing lenses that enable Pentax to earn the respect of pros, and once again compete seriously in that arena.

There's no way that a 50mmf1.4 lens is going to be the financial saviour of Pentax. The lens is produced for glory, not money.

01-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #2387
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just a slight check: 1000 views does not mean 1000 people! How many of us have revisited the thread how many times? I don't think it's accurate to use that number in this context.

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Originally posted by pres589
I like what Norm wrote.
Me too.
Me three
01-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #2388
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After talking to two dealers yesterday Fredericks and Henry's in St. Catherines, and seeing the poll, 1000 views and 17 planning to buy
I had a look at that poll - perhaps comparing views and "Yes, I plan to buy it either at release or soon after." votes is not exactly a good idea?
(there are 29 votes now)

---------- Post added 05-01-18 at 01:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I really don't want/enjoy to:
- use manual focus lenses
- use big and heavy zoom lenses
- use lenses with terible chromatic aberation and with slow af (old lenses have these kind of problems)
- etc.
That's exactly why I'm waiting for their upcoming D FA ultra wide-angle lens.

I'm tired of hearing how long overdue technology as ring-type ultrasonic motors and computer designed optics is not needed, how Pentax "must" be cheap, or how Pentaxians are too cheap so this lens "will" fail. With such an attitude, we'd still have no FF, and soon, we'd have no Pentax.
01-04-2018, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #2389
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks for that - it makes absolute sense. I clearly don't fall into the category of owners who think that way, though... When I bought my Hasselblad HV, the writing was already on the wall for A-mount (and, indeed, for the HV itself!), but I was happy that I could obtain lenses to suit my needs and keep me going for many years to come. However, my motivation for buying it was, I accept, quite different than that of K-1 buyers. Still, though, if Ricoh / Pentax were never to release another lens, I wonder how much of a real problem that would be for existing owners... I mean, a problem that would prevent them from getting full value and full use from their cameras?
Exactly!

I've never bought any product on the basis of some promised future accessory or roadmap. Over 40 years experience with computers have taught me to avoid vaporware. I bought the K-10D, K-5, and then the K-1 on the WYSIWYG principle that they would provide the performance I wanted right out of the box. That is what Pentax have given me and I am quite satisfied. Any new lenses or new firmware features are unexpected gifts in my book.

The new 50 f/1.4 looks like it should be an amazing lens for photographers that demand amazing performance from their lenses. The lens seems entirely consistent with Ricoh's statements about heading toward the high end which, in turn, seem entirely appropriate given the larger trends in photography. To me, this lens will likely enhance the value of the K-1 especially pixelshift.

01-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #2390
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I just don't understand why people who want a compact DSLR with a wide angle fixed prime lens can't buy a Pentax KP and 15mm DFA f4.0 and be done with?
Your comment makes me think you have never used a K-1.
01-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #2391
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I had a look at that poll - perhaps comparing views and "Yes, I plan to buy it either at release or soon after." votes is not exactly a good idea?
(there are 29 votes now)

---------- Post added 05-01-18 at 01:56 AM ----------

That's exactly why I'm waiting for their upcoming D FA ultra wide-angle lens.

I'm tired of hearing how long overdue technology as ring-type ultrasonic motors and computer designed optics is not needed, how Pentax "must" be cheap, or how Pentaxians are too cheap so this lens "will" fail. With such an attitude, we'd still have no FF, and soon, we'd have no Pentax.
I'm not absolutely certain, but I suspect a single person viewing a thread more than one time is not counted as a view.
01-05-2018, 12:29 AM   #2392
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the answers to my question and comments, folks. It definitely helps me understand - and put into context - some of the angst around Pentax lens developments

01-05-2018, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #2393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From my perspective, I'm saving money as long as Pentax doesn't come out with any new lenses that I want (need). I'm pretty happy with the DA *55, but it certainly could be better and I doubt I would be able to hold out for long if the DFA *50 is the real deal. I actually do take photos frequently with my current lenses and they continue to work well and will do so until Pentax does release new glass.

As long as I know Pentax is actually working on new stuff for k mount, even if it is a slow process, I'm OK. I wouldn't be so happy if I found out that they were planning to throw it over for a new mirrorless mount and my lenses would be relegated to alpha mount status.
01-05-2018, 03:38 AM   #2394
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I thought CP+ was in spring!
And from what point of reference is delayed?
My point is.......there is no delay.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, people hoped for it to become available in the calendar year 2017 (as it first appeared on the roadmap as "2017 or later"). But we know now that it will be launched this spring - this is official information.
CP+ starts in March 1st this year.
May I point out that spring, at least in the northern hemisphere, goes from March 20th until June 20th?

A possibility would be an announcement at CP+ (still in winter) and an actual availability sometimes in spring, may be before the end of Ricoh's fiscal year and therefore before March 31st.
01-05-2018, 03:39 AM   #2395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How could there possibly be anything more to say about a lens that is not even here yet, 160 pages, 2393 posts, the mind boggles
01-05-2018, 03:45 AM   #2396
Pentaxian

Actual availability always lags a bit from the official announcement.
01-05-2018, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #2397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Exactly!

I've never bought any product on the basis of some promised future accessory or roadmap. Over 40 years experience with computers have taught me to avoid vaporware. I bought the K-10D, K-5, and then the K-1 on the WYSIWYG principle that they would provide the performance I wanted right out of the box. That is what Pentax have given me and I am quite satisfied. Any new lenses or new firmware features are unexpected gifts in my book.

The new 50 f/1.4 looks like it should be an amazing lens for photographers that demand amazing performance from their lenses. The lens seems entirely consistent with Ricoh's statements about heading toward the high end which, in turn, seem entirely appropriate given the larger trends in photography. To me, this lens will likely enhance the value of the K-1 especially pixelshift.
Completely agreed.
Without the road map on the other hand, I see several tempting offers dragging me away from Pentax. The K1 lens lineup is far from complete. I don't care about the 50, but the 85 would fill a huge gap for me.
01-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #2398
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Exactly!

This presumes that it doesn't get delayed to death.
01-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #2399
Pentaxian

Do you have any reason to doubt Ricoh Imaging's recent press release stating this lens is due for this spring?
01-05-2018, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2400
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see any reason to injection more doom and gloom than is already here in these threads. Clearly top end lenses is a category that Pentax hasn't done much work in in recent moons. They have a large catalog, but lenses like the FA 200 macro were designed a generation ago -- long before the digital era. As much as like the DA * primes, they need something better than that and that is what they are attempting.

As far as I know the first date floated was Spring of 2018, before then it was just nebulous stuff that Kenpo had said about 2017 being the year of the prime. I don't blame him for sharing what info had come his way, but it wasn't "official" information, whereas this is and I would tend to believe it until we get to May and don't see any sign of the lens.

I would just add that my hope would be that future lenses would follow a little faster once Pentax has their manufacturing processes down for this type of lens and understands how to work with ring motors, etc.
Closed Thread