Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 02:08 PM - 5 Likes   #2401
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't see any reason to injection more doom and gloom than is already here in these threads. Clearly top end lenses is a category that Pentax hasn't done much work in in recent moons. They have a large catalog, but lenses like the FA 200 macro were designed a generation ago -- long before the digital era. As much as like the DA * primes, they need something better than that and that is what they are attempting.

As far as I know the first date floated was Spring of 2018, before then it was just nebulous stuff that Kenpo had said about 2017 being the year of the prime. I don't blame him for sharing what info had come his way, but it wasn't "official" information, whereas this is and I would tend to believe it until we get to May and don't see any sign of the lens.
They are just waiting until we have all forgotten about it, then they'll release it. That way it will be a surprise. We are actually holding up it's release. Everyone drink beer until you've all forgotten.

01-05-2018, 02:31 PM - 6 Likes   #2402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They are just waiting until we have all forgotten about it, then they'll release it. That way it will be a surprise. We are actually holding up it's release. Everyone drink beer until you've all forgotten.
I'm not totally sure why I bother with these threads. My photo gear works and it will keep working until this lens and the others come out. And I do wonder of all those griping about the release date of this lens what percentage are actually planning to buy it or any of the other DFA * primes? It seems like there are plenty of people with just sour grapes for no particular reason.

If your budget is a max of six or seven hundred dollars, then just get a DA *55 or FA 43 and be done with it. Both of those are excellent lenses. The coming of a full frame Pentax didn't change that.

In the end, I expect this to be incrementally better than past lenses with a lot better auto focus than the DA *55, but acting like you can't get good images till some of these primes come out is just silly (I know you didn't say that, but there are others on this thread who act as though the K-1 is chopped liver with the current lens line up).
01-05-2018, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #2403
Pentaxian

the K-1 is chopped liver
And it tastes GOOD!
01-05-2018, 03:52 PM - 5 Likes   #2404
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What did you say? I'm busy drinking beer.

01-05-2018, 04:10 PM - 3 Likes   #2405
mee
Veteran Member

I'm not totally sure why I bother with these threads.
That is a thought to strongly ponder.

The 'doom and gloom' comments, as some of you might call them, wouldn't have the weight they are given if they weren't given the weight they're given. That is, ignore the comments you don't agree with and focus on the ones you do and the comments you don't agree with won't be advertised so often. Bad press is still press.
01-05-2018, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #2406
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is a thought to strongly ponder.

The 'doom and gloom' comments, as some of you might call them, wouldn't have the weight they are given if they weren't given the weight they're given. That is, ignore the comments you don't agree with and focus on the ones you do and the comments you don't agree with won't be advertised so often. Bad press is still press.
This holds true not just for individual comments, but entire threads too. I agree completely.
01-06-2018, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #2407
Veteran Member

Its not as close around the corner as we think. Dont know why...But it will come!

But it bigger chance of sunny weather and green gras then snow when it does!

01-06-2018, 01:55 AM   #2408
Pentaxian

SO,is it Year of the Prime Mk 2?
01-06-2018, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #2409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Dont know why...

Mail Ricoh if you have any more questions.
01-06-2018, 02:02 AM   #2410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Its not as close around the corner as we think. Dont know why...But it will come!

But it bigger chance of sunny weather and green gras then snow when it does!
Hmm - I've no doubt this will be a stellar lens and I fully appreciate how keen they are to get it 100% right, but one has to wonder about whether their R&D and manufacturing processes are quite streamlined yet. The danger being that the slightly trial and error approach will be more what people remember than the quality of the results. - the 70-200 being an example - a great lens that people remember for the year's delay as much as the IQ.. I just hope that they are learning as they go and the processes will get smoother - but the longer it takes the more potential customers they lose, and the less return on their investment they potentially make, making a danger of even slower or pulled releases in future. I really hope not, but that's the harsh truth as I see it.
01-06-2018, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #2411
JPT
Pentaxian

A report with the the D FA* 50mm from Kimio Tanaka. Part 1 is published.
Japanese Photo of the Day PENTAX????50mmF1.4??? ?? ???
Google translation Google Translate

Not much detail, only a small sample and it's said to be a prototype, but it's good to see another one out and being tested.
01-06-2018, 02:34 AM   #2412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by google translate:
The overall length of the lens is about 11 cm, the maximum diameter is about 8 cm, and the weight is about 830 g. The filter diameter is 72 mmφ.
When looking into the lens, the diaphragm blades are 9 round apertures. The minimum aperture value is F 16. There is no AF interlocking coupler in the mounting part. It is understood that it is an electromagnetic iris system. In terms of format it will be "KAF 4 mount".
So a bit longer and heavier than the Sigma Art:
Filter Thread Front: 77 mm (72)
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 85.4 x 99.9 mm (80x110)
Weight 815 g (Canon). (830g)

The picture looks good from such a small format.
01-06-2018, 02:53 AM   #2413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
A report with the the D FA* 50mm from Kimio Tanaka. Part 1 is published.
Japanese Photo of the Day PENTAX????50mmF1.4??? ?? ???
Google translation Google Translate

Not much detail, only a small sample and it's said to be a prototype, but it's good to see another one out and being tested.
Thank you for this. Part of the text is similar/identical to what Ooku posted yesterday:

DFA*50 1.4 coming - Page 157 - PentaxForums.com

Specifically, I am referring to the following part:

サイズも重さも不明なので手元にある簡単なスケールを使って測ってみることにした。
 レンズ全長は約11cm、最大径は約8cm、重さは約830gといったところか。フィルター径は72mmφである。
 レンズを覗き込んでみると絞り羽根は9枚の円形絞り。最小絞り値はF16である。マウント部にはAF連動カプラーがない。電磁絞り方式であることがわかる。形式でいうと「KAF4マウント」になるわけだ。

フォーカス目盛りを見ると最短撮影距離は0.4m。だから最短時のレンズ前面から被写体までの距離(ワーキングディスタンス)は約25cmとなる。そのときの撮影範囲は実写してみると約18.5×12.5cmだった。
 レンズと同時に借りたフードには「PH-RBB72」と刻印されていた。おそらく50mmF1.4レンズ専用フードだろう。PLフィルター操作窓もある。

The main difference is the length, said to be around 11cm instead of 11.5cm. A correction made in a second time?
01-06-2018, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #2414
JPT
Pentaxian

Yes, that's the same article. I didn't realize it was the same as what Ooku posted. The author must have made that correction about the length later.

What is interesting is that he says this is part one and he's going to continue posting his impressions.

This is the copy he has, from his Twitter.

The fact that he has this in advance makes me wonder if he is going to be one of Ricoh's keynote speakers at CP+ 2018, like he was in 2016.

Last edited by JPT; 01-06-2018 at 07:16 AM.
01-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #2415
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interestingly, this is the first Pentax lens with a minimum aperture of F:16; not F:22 or 32.
Closed Thread