Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #2521
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Im not sure, what is hardest from working with Ricoh or selling the Pentax system in to new users
Now selling to new users is really hard.

"Do you have any friends that you can borrow or try out the lenses they own?"
It's never Pentax.

It's like the old days with Apple computers.
"Do you have any friends who can help you out when you have problems? What do they use?"

I have trouble myself, my favourite wildlife lens is my Tamron SP AF 300 2.8 LD [IF], it's an old lens, it purple fringes sometimes in high contrast situations (seems to depend on the angle the light is hitting the subject) and you'll never find one for sale. You can borrow my lens for a bit, but you can't buy one. It doesn't matter how much you like it. Pentax users see it and drool.

I have given people like my sister and daughter -in-law Pentax cameras that they end up loving, but convince someone to buy one? It's never happened. Maybe I just don't know the right people.

01-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #2522
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Now selling to new users is really hard.
For Kenspo it's part of the job - for you and me, Norm, I think the best thing we can do is keeping taking the best images we can and hope people like them enough to give the camera the credit
01-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #2523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
For Kenspo it's part of the job - for you and me, Norm, I think the best thing we can do is keeping taking the best images we can and hope people like them enough to give the camera the credit

And people can drop the pointless and generally clueless trash talk. Accomplishes nothing and just feeds the trolls.
01-14-2018, 12:19 AM   #2524
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
For Kenspo it's part of the job
What's the job of camera ambassador, beside getting free camera and lenses?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-14-2018 at 12:24 AM.
01-14-2018, 01:20 AM   #2525
Pentaxian

Good question
01-14-2018, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #2526
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Good question
So far as I'm aware, the role of a camera manufacturer ambassador (as with that of any brand or product ambassador - and they exist across a wide range of products, not just photography-related) is to promote the brand through their work... "Look, this is what I do. It's good, and I do it with brand X". Ambassadors demonstrate the capabilities of the equipment in real day-to-day use. Instead of simply trusting the manufacturer's potentially-biased marketing information, we get to see what the equipment is actually capable of in the hands of a skilled user, and hear about their experiences with it. We might even see it being used at a sporting or cultural event we're visiting. And because of that, we may be more likely to consider the brand for our next purchase, or stay with the brand if we were considering a switch. In that sense, I'd consider it a more sincere form of marketing

I think you guys probably knew that already, though... right?
01-14-2018, 02:27 AM - 2 Likes   #2527
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So far as I'm aware, the role of a camera manufacturer ambassador (as with that of any brand or product ambassador - and they exist across a wide range of products, not just photography-related) is to promote the brand through their work... "Look, this is what I do. It's good, and I do it with brand X". Ambassadors demonstrate the capabilities of the equipment in real day-to-day use. Instead of simply trusting the manufacturer's potentially-biased marketing information, we get to see what the equipment is actually capable of in the hands of a skilled user, and hear about their experiences with it. We might even see it being used at a sporting or cultural event we're visiting. And because of that, we may be more likely to consider the brand for our next purchase, or stay with the brand if we were considering a switch. In that sense, I'd consider it a more sincere form of marketing

I think you guys probably knew that already, though... right?
You got it mostly right + that I'm also doing lectures, exhibitions and are present at photoshows etc

01-14-2018, 02:38 AM   #2528
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
You got it mostly right + that I'm also doing lectures, exhibitions and are present at photoshows etc
Nice

"There's no such thing as a free lunch camera!"
01-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #2529
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

Prophesized the year of Pentax primes. Don't you remember? That us aside from taking terrific rock concert photos. \m/
01-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #2530
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Prophesized the year of Pentax primes. Don't you remember? That us aside from taking terrific rock concert photos. \m/
Regardless of what kenspo brings to the forum, I probably wouldn't listen to him at all were it not for his photos. The only thing that proves you know what you are talking about is the photos you take. There is absolutely no way to validate theoretical constructions without empirical proof. That's just basic science.

I don't shoot what Kenspo shoots so my entire opinion of his choice of lenses etc. is based on he does that, I don't, he knows better than i do what he needs for that job. And as far as I'm concerned until someone else shows me better images, he's the guy in that genre.

Last edited by normhead; 01-14-2018 at 07:54 AM.
01-14-2018, 08:42 AM - 3 Likes   #2531
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Prophesized ?
Right, Ricoh tells him 'blabla', he tell us. Ricoh changes its mind or whatever and you shoot the guy?

If so you shouldn't have read him the first place. Shoot Ricoh if you will but shooting the messenger is as childish (and this is diplomacy) as could be IMO.
01-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #2532
Pentaxian

Thibs, that's just jealousy at work.
01-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #2533
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Prophesized ?
Right, Ricoh tells him 'blabla', he tell us. Ricoh changes its mind or whatever and you shoot the guy?

If so you shouldn't have read him the first place. Shoot Ricoh if you will but shooting the messenger is as childish (and this is diplomacy) as could be IMO.
I am not shooting him Thibs, thats what Kenspo did as ambassador, profess what ricoh gives/allows and do amazing work (wonderful photos that is).

@Kunzite, were are your works?
01-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #2534
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

OK fellas, let's not let this thread descend (yet again) into bickering. I've got my mod's whacking stick at the ready

Thank you
01-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #2535
Pentaxian

Prophesized the year of Pentax primes. Don't you remember?
Well, instead of the year of the primes, we are going through a full decade of the primes.
Nothing to complain about as soon as they don't make us wait for another full frame 15 years patience period
Closed Thread