Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2018, 12:08 AM   #2581
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
The K-1 might just be the best Digital SLR ever made(so far).
maybe, not used one, but what i hear is not great about the shutter shake at around the mostly used middle shutter speeds. quite likely they need to produce the K-1a to fix the shutter problem

might see a lens or two this year, but maybe 2019 for the updated cameras

01-17-2018, 01:03 AM   #2582
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Somewhere weeks ago someone hinted at there being 2 new Pentax cameras this year.
So it could be a) the model to succeed the K-3II (as far as I remember the new camera will not be a K-3III type) and b) another FF.

If they are smart they aim at the buyers they want the most, with a proven track record of buying new Pentax glass.
I hope for a travel friendly, compact sized K-mount 36 MP FF camera from Ricoh/Pentax priced at $1500.
K-1 is great as an all purpose camera, but people that like to travel light with primes would love a lighter, more
compact body.
01-17-2018, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #2583

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We don't need another FF or APS-C at this time
We need lenses
LENSES
L-E-N-S-E-S
20mm, 24mm, 20-35mm, 135mm, 400mm....
Modern, lightweight, performing new lenses !
01-17-2018, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #2584
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Oh well..This is one of the reasons I hardly share any news, inside info etc. If things change, get delayed or something, I become the target for many

And since Ricoh see me as a rebel and one that is hard to control..Its not worth it anymore.
You are just the messenger and people shoot you. I feel sorry for you.

Sad because you gave us some good food for thought in the past.

You hae my full support, you did great, be proud

01-17-2018, 03:58 AM - 3 Likes   #2585
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know if Pentax is releasing a new camera or not. If they would, the reasoning is clear -- the K-1 is getting old. In a sense it was old when it was released. Basically a Pentax version of the D800 which went on sale in March of 2012. A better camera than the D800, but with the same sensor and some Pentax magic thrown in on top for good measure. I love my K-1, but there are certainly some places where more recent cameras look better, at least on paper. Pentax needs to sell in the marketplace that exists and that may mean getting some new camera bodies out there -- probably 645z and K3 II sequels as well.

As for the whole glass versus camera argument, I doubt very highly that they have much to do with each other. Teams working on new optics aren't being taken away to work on camera bodies or vice versa. They are separate parts of Ricoh Imaging and as such will be on their own schedules. I want to see new glass as much as anyone, but the idea that releasing a new camera body -- K-1 or K3 III or whatever -- would hold back the lens designers from doing their job isn't valid.
01-17-2018, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #2586
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(...)

As for the whole glass versus camera argument, I doubt very highly that they have much to do with each other. Teams working on new optics aren't being taken away to work on camera bodies or vice versa. They are separate parts of Ricoh Imaging and as such will be on their own schedules. I want to see new glass as much as anyone, but the idea that releasing a new camera body -- K-1 or K3 III or whatever -- would hold back the lens designers from doing their job isn't valid.
In a constraint environment, camera development and lens development compete for development money though.
01-17-2018, 05:00 AM   #2587
Pentaxian

But they also go hand in hand. For example, you don't release a high-end ultra wide-angle zoom if you only plan to make entry level cameras.

01-17-2018, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #2588
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

I had this discussion with another forum goer a few months ago and it went around and around and around.. It was their appeal to claim photographs (that will be subjectively weighed/valued by each person separately) proved their opinion (somehow objectively) on a topic that is subjective in itself. Yet it was, in their minds, quite absolute and definitive. Strange logic. So just have to agree to disagree with those folks and move on I think..
A certain brand-jumping forum goer promised mutually to not post again in this thread ... I can see their word is no good, and all bets are off!
01-17-2018, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #2589
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It would only make sense it they could match the D850. And then there is still the Lens problem. Ricoh Isn't Sony.
Well, some think that K-1 do already.... with Rokinon lens....
01-17-2018, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #2590
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In a constraint environment, camera development and lens development compete for development money though.
Maybe. I think the K-1 made back its R and D costs a lot faster than a lens like the DFA *70-200. The same will be true for the DFA * primes. They probably won't be stupendous sellers even if they are super sharp and review well. I just think Ricoh has a "pay as you go" philosophy for Pentax and that holds up lens release more than camera release.
01-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #2591
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gedeon Quote
We don't need another FF or APS-C at this time
We need lenses
LENSES
L-E-N-S-E-S
20mm, 24mm, 20-35mm, 135mm, 400mm....
Modern, lightweight, performing new lenses !
agree.

kitt lenses for the Pentax k-1

A NEW PENTAX Q!!!!!
01-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #2592
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe. I think the K-1 made back its R and D costs a lot faster than a lens like the DFA *70-200. The same will be true for the DFA * primes. They probably won't be stupendous sellers even if they are super sharp and review well. I just think Ricoh has a "pay as you go" philosophy for Pentax and that holds up lens release more than camera release.
I just sold several of my Pentax lenses on e-bay as I transition over to Sony as my main system. The Sony lenses are all more expensive than the Pentax/Sigma lenses that I was selling, so My idea was to sell on e-bay and buy used Sony on e-bay. I listed my 31mm LTD 3 times before getting a bid. Of the 3 times I listed it the highest number of people watching the lens was 6. After several weeks of my 31mm sitting on e-bay it sold for $650 to the only person who bid on it. I attempted to buy the Sony-Zeiss 35mm F/1.4 FE on e-bay, but there were very few for sale. The ones I did bid on ended up with 20-30 bids on them and the prices ranged from $1,200 - $1,400. I finally just bought a new copy from B&H for $1,499.

My Sigma 85mm in K-mount actually held its value better than the Pentax glass. I paid $899 for that lens new and sold it for $725. The Sigma 85mm had the most bids and watchers of any of the lenses I sold.

Nothing scientific about this, just my experience. The cost of switching over is going to end up being a lot higher than expected simply because there is very little demand for Pentax glass.

Ricoh needs to find a way to keep the brand relevant. They make really great equipment and they are very close to having some of the best you can buy, but they have to solve some really big problems. Since switching to the A9 as my primary camera I have had nothing but a great experience with the performance of the camera. No frustration with AF or buffer. Image quality is excellent.
01-17-2018, 07:43 AM   #2593
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The cost of switching over is going to end up being a lot higher than expected simply because there is very little demand for Pentax glass.
Pentax glass seems to sell pretty well on the Marketplace here. Certainly, the Limited lenses don't seem to hang around all that long, if they're priced sensibly.

Then again, most of the Limiteds - especially the FA's - have been around for a long time, and a lot of people already owned and used them on APS-C bodies before the K-1 was released. If there's little demand for those lenses, I suspect it's because most people that are likely to want them already have them. New Pentax shooters who joined us with the advent of the K-1 are probably waiting to see what new lenses appear, or bought new copies of the FA Limiteds to go with their shiny new cameras. Sadly, a number of folks seem hell-bent on having the latest digital-optimised glass, when they could enjoy shooting and getting fantastic results with those FA Limiteds and other film era lenses like the FA50/1.4 and FA35/2...
01-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #2594
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I just sold several of my Pentax lenses on e-bay as I transition over to Sony as my main system. The Sony lenses are all more expensive than the Pentax/Sigma lenses that I was selling, so My idea was to sell on e-bay and buy used Sony on e-bay. I listed my 31mm LTD 3 times before getting a bid. Of the 3 times I listed it the highest number of people watching the lens was 6. After several weeks of my 31mm sitting on e-bay it sold for $650 to the only person who bid on it. I attempted to buy the Sony-Zeiss 35mm F/1.4 FE on e-bay, but there were very few for sale. The ones I did bid on ended up with 20-30 bids on them and the prices ranged from $1,200 - $1,400. I finally just bought a new copy from B&H for $1,499.

My Sigma 85mm in K-mount actually held its value better than the Pentax glass. I paid $899 for that lens new and sold it for $725. The Sigma 85mm had the most bids and watchers of any of the lenses I sold.

Nothing scientific about this, just my experience. The cost of switching over is going to end up being a lot higher than expected simply because there is very little demand for Pentax glass.

Ricoh needs to find a way to keep the brand relevant. They make really great equipment and they are very close to having some of the best you can buy, but they have to solve some really big problems. Since switching to the A9 as my primary camera I have had nothing but a great experience with the performance of the camera. No frustration with AF or buffer. Image quality is excellent.
The problem with buying into the "value" brand is it costs you money when you upgrade.
In my mind, Sony only makes sense for pro-shooters, and shooters with lots of money. I'm happy things worked out with your A-9, but it's kind of like a sports car driver complaining he does't get the same performance out of his half ton.

For those of us for whom photography costs us money, and that's 99% of the population, the concept of an A9 and a $1500 lens is a really bad joke. But it's interesting to here these comments as irrelevant as they may be. It does want me want to ask if your photography pays for this or you just have a lot of cash to burn on whatever you want? The pertinent part being, do you make enough more money with the A9 set-up to actually justify paying the big bucks, or this just you can so you do?

One could easily see this kind of post as bragging about how much you spend to people who don't spend as much. This kind of post belongs in a Sony thread in the non-Pentax forum, where we talk about Sony cameras, as long as we don't want to talk about how much they cost, compared to Pentax product.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-17-2018 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Discussing moderator actions / keeping it friendly
01-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #2595
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sadly, a number of folks seem hell-bent on having the latest digital-optimised glass, when they could enjoy shooting and getting fantastic results with those FA Limiteds and other film era lenses like the FA50/1.4 and FA35/2...
People are always looking for an edge - something to make their photos stand out - and something new that will inspire them to get out taking pictures. Ironically, the FA 31mm could supply both of these if you didn't already have it, but if you do, then you probably need newer glass to give you that feeling of progress. (Obviously it's the photographer not the lens or camera that makes a great image in the end, but I'm working on an all other things being equal basis - technically quality might not matter as much as subject or treatment, but it gives you an edge over the smartphone )
Closed Thread