Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #2716
Pentaxian

What surprise primes? Do you have any information about something that's not on the roadmap?

01-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #2717
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What surprise primes? Do you have any information about something that's not on the roadmap?
I went to the Clairvoyant, she told me to expect it.

Cast your mind back, there were "surprises" that were not on the roadmap.

So to answer your Q, No.[COLOR="Silver"]
01-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #2718
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there are also some other system users waiting like vultures, for Pentax to die.
This is a thought that I've had rather than directly relevant to what your'e,saying, but I don't somehow feel that Japanese business culture is quite so fight to the death as some others. All existing camera companies (as well as a few that have gone under) have invented features that are in all modern cameras - they all benefit from this process and, .I suspect, they all know it. I could be horribly wrong, but I hope I'm right.
01-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #2719
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Worse; with Hoya's unwillingness to invest into Pentax Imaging Systems even the APS-C line is not exactly up to date. Perhaps you know I'm not a big fan of using consumer-level micromotors in high-end lenses (even though I owned such a lens).

Something is always better than nothing, but "something" is not a satisfactory target (it might be for us as individuals, but not for Pentax as a system).
The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is needed.
I agree. Lenses like the DA *16-50 and DA *50-135 are very much due for updating, but there is no point to doing so before the new lenses that are needed are released. The 50-135 is probably good enough optically. Put a DC motor in it and update the coatings to HD and you are probably there. The 16-50 really needs more work, it has more distortion at 16mm than it should have and has quite a bit of purple fringing too. Regardless, I don't see the resources being there to update those lenses right now. I think the focal lengths are covered, but some of them need updating quite a bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My only real issue withe 50 1.4 is it's not macro. I do a lot of pseudo macro. I take my 18-135 or on the K-1 the 28-105, the 60-250 and one more lens. That lens has to do macro. Most recently my DFA 100 macro was bought specifically to be that lens. I'd love to have a 1.4 lens along, but with the 50 1.4 that would be trading one capability for another. That would be solved by one little spacer ring like extension tube, but Pentax has also neglected the little necessities that turn a basic system into an awesome system. With one little half inch extension for macro, that new 50 could be awesome, although given my shooting preferences, I'd still rather have the 85.
Typically, macro lenses are pretty slow focusers which this lens isn't supposed to be (due to their long focus throw). For now, I suppose you have to make due with the 50 macro if you need a macro in the 50mm focal length.

01-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #2720
Pentaxian

A new series started with the DA* 11-18mm? (not that I'm going back to APS-C - definitely not for large zooms). One could only hope...
01-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #2721
Pentaxian

A macro would have to be a completely different product, and I hope we'll see a D FA 50mm f/2.8 DC WR macro sooner rather than later. But, "something is better than nothing" - we do have the screw drive D FA...
would the new *50 even work on any pentax branded extension tubes that currently exist? the dfa 50 is really good optically, but not wr, and not built that well. also, i wish that by default, sr would turn off when you put ex tubes on!
01-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #2722
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
would the new *50 even work on any pentax branded extension tubes that currently exist? the dfa 50 is really good optically, but not wr, and not built that well. also, i wish that by default, sr would turn off when you put ex tubes on!
If tube passes the SDM/powerzoom contacts AND digital pin, it should work fine.

01-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #2723
Pentaxian

None of the Pentax branded extension tubes do that - you'd need a lens with an aperture ring (and AF is obviously gone, not that it would work well).
The D FA 50mm f/2.8 macro is inexpensive enough so that's not really an issue, but as I said I'd like to see an updated version.

Anyway, it's a bit weird to complain that this D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is not a macro lens.
01-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #2724
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
None of the Pentax branded extension tubes do that - you'd need a lens with an aperture ring (and AF is obviously gone, not that it would work well).
The D FA 50mm f/2.8 macro is inexpensive enough so that's not really an issue, but as I said I'd like to see an updated version.

Anyway, it's a bit weird to complain that this D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is not a macro lens.
I already "splained" that. On my trips, I usually take one prime, and it has to do macro. No possibility of macro? It stays home. I have a 50 macro, it's my least favourite macro lens, after the DFA 100, the Tamron 90, and the Sigma 70. It seriously needs to be redone.
01-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #2725
Pentaxian

No offense, Norm, but what you explained is your need for a macro lens.
01-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #2726
Pentaxian

No offense, Norm, but what you explained is your need for a macro lens.
No offence taken..
I just like to come up with new ways of saying, "it's probably not for me"... just in case anyone was wondering.

I could come up with a similar list for probably every lens I don't own.
01-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #2727
Pentaxian

But you know, choose any product in this world and a majority of people could say, "it's probably not for me".
If they did that though, it would only make the life miserable for those that want said product.
01-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #2728
Pentaxian

But you know, choose any product in this world and a majority of people could say, "it's probably not for me".
If they did that though, it would only make the life miserable for those that want said product.

Or, they might want to know all the cons as well as the pro's. "Why should I buy this lens, why shouldn't I buy this lens." It's all useful information.

My apologies if that makes you miserable.
01-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #2729
Pentaxian

Just you and a few others is no big issue, Norm - but imagine all Canikonypanolympuji users posting "I'm using another brand and it's better for me!" in every Pentax-related discussion. I guarantee you'd be annoyed.
Anyway. I hope you filled the lens survey from a while ago with your request for a macro lens. But this is not it.
01-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #2730
Pentaxian

Just you and a few others is no big issue, Norm - but imagine all Canikonypanolympuji users posting "I'm using another brand and it's better for me!" in every Pentax-related discussion. I guarantee you'd be annoyed.
Anyway. I hope you filled the lens survey from a while ago with your request for a macro lens. But this is not it.
This lens is still on my "I'm thinking about it " list, and I'm still going through all the pros and cons. Sorry that upsets you.
Closed Thread