Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1836 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #2851
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Ain't the new Tokina Opera 50/1.4 looking very similar to our upcoming D-FA* 50/1.4?
Not only do the Tokina opera 50 mm f/1,4 FF and the HD Pentax-D FA★ 50 mm f/1,4 SDM AW look very similar, so do the available specifications:

【噂】トキナーが「FíRIN 20mm F2 FE AF」と「opera 50mm F1.4 FF」を近日中に発表
  • AF lens for full-size digital single lens reflex cameras
  • Mounts: Canon and Nikon
  • Ring-type ultrasonic motor
  • Dust-proof and drip-proof
  • First Tokina lens to adopt an electromagnetic iris system (Nikon version)
  • The direction of rotation of the focus ring is the same as that of a OEM lens for both Canon and Nikon mounts
  • Scheduled release date: Summer 2018
  • Should be announced on February 28.

We'll have to wait for the detailed specifications to be sure but I'm pretty certain these two lenses have a lot in common. A shared development could explain the delay since it's always more complicated when two corporations are involved in the same project.

02-22-2018, 03:29 AM   #2852
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Not only do the Tokina opera 50 mm f/1,4 FF and the HD Pentax-D FA★ 50 mm f/1,4 SDM AW look very similar, so do the available specifications:
Couldn't this equally well be explained by the fact that companies copy each other's good ideas and usually respond to the same market pressures? I don't know the truth, but I'm willing to accept that this is 100% Pentax if those who know more than I do say so.
02-22-2018, 03:39 AM - 2 Likes   #2853
Pentaxian

Or, that there aren't that many good ways of making lenses with similar specs?
Perhaps the only thing that would stop the "It's a Tamron! No, it's a Tokina! No, it's a Sigma!" is using triangular lens elements in a square barrel.
02-22-2018, 04:03 AM   #2854
Veteran Member

If that cut away has any basis in reality it is far more ambitious than any 50 being made.
Of course when you have aerobright coating with almost zero transmition losses then you can afford to use more elements.

02-22-2018, 04:26 AM   #2855
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

【噂】トキナーが「FíRIN 20mm F2 FE AF」と「opera 50mm F1.4 FF」を近日中に発表
  • AF lens for full-size digital single lens reflex cameras
  • Mounts: Canon and Nikon
  • Ring-type ultrasonic motor
  • Dust-proof and drip-proof
  • First Tokina lens to adopt an electromagnetic iris system (Nikon version)
  • The direction of rotation of the focus ring is the same as that of a OEM lens for both Canon and Nikon mounts
  • Scheduled release date: Summer 2018
  • Should be announced on February 28.

We'll have to wait for the detailed specifications to be sure but I'm pretty certain these two lenses have a lot in common. A shared development could explain the delay since it's always more complicated when two corporations are involved in the same project.
Sounds like a good explanation about the delay, but it might be a little bit cheaper than the expected 1400-1800$ price range (a pretty big range I admit ) due to the shared R&D and potentially more selling units.
I dream of a 1200$ price sometime.
02-22-2018, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #2856
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Or, that there aren't that many good ways of making lenses with similar specs?
Perhaps the only thing that would stop the "It's a Tamron! No, it's a Tokina! No, it's a Sigma!" is using triangular lens elements in a square barrel.
Of course this doesn't mean its Tokina design, I'm far from all "rebrand" hype- its nothing new(in terms that many brands join their forces to develop somthing, not only licence from one to another). I really don't care as long as the lens delivers. But I did a little just for fun compare in dimensions from that two pictures, its little lousy because pictures are taken form different angles, just straighten it's geometry up a bit to chassis pieces cut's lines and hood mount fit toghether, ofc the camera side mount is different.
Attached Images

Last edited by Reed; 02-22-2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: edition
02-22-2018, 04:44 AM   #2857
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Of course this doesn't mean its Tokina design, I'm far from all "rebrand" hype- its nothing new. I really don't care as long as the lens delivers. But I did a little just for fun compare in dimensions from that two pictures, its little lousy because pictures are taken form different angles, just straighten it's geometry up a bit to chassis pieces cut's lines and hood mount fit toghether, ofc the camera side mount is different.

02-22-2018, 04:51 AM   #2858
Pentaxian

Maybe - just maybe - Ricoh Imaging licensed their optical design to Tokina, again. So what?
02-22-2018, 05:02 AM   #2859
Pentaxian

Maybe - just maybe - Ricoh Imaging licensed their optical design to Tokina, again. So what?
I'm good with that, that is how Keiretsu idea works
02-22-2018, 05:58 AM   #2860
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm good with that, that is how Keiretsu idea works
It was closer once upon a time, right?

Weren't both Pentax and Tokina owned by Hoya?

It would have been a good way to shuffle money between companies, call it an expenditure, and get a tax break.
02-22-2018, 06:03 AM - 7 Likes   #2861
Pentaxian

Adam, could you please make a special section where people thinking the D FA* is a Tokina can argue with those thinking the D FA* is a Sigma?
Thank you.
02-22-2018, 06:12 AM   #2862
Pentaxian

Adam, could you please make a special section where people thinking the D FA* is a Tokina can argue with those thinking the D FA* is a Sigma?
Thank you.
That would be fun
02-22-2018, 06:13 AM   #2863
Pentaxian

That's of course what I meant in my previous post.
02-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #2864
Pentaxian

Ain't the new Tokina Opera 50/1.4 looking very similar to our upcoming D-FA* 50/1.4?
All of the modern 50/1.4s "look similar" because they are all based on the same optical design goals and the same basic optical physics involved in making a high-performance 50/1.4 fit on a DSLR flange.

But the Pentax and Tokina seem extremely unlikely to come from the same designer given that their focus rings move in opposite directions.
02-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #2865
Pentaxian

Acording to Nokishita info about this lens, the focus direction is chosen to be lens mount specific. フォーカスリングの回転方向はキヤノン用ニコン用ともに純正レンズと同じ translate to: "The direction of rotation of the focus ring is the same as that of a genuine lens for both Canon and Nikon"
Closed Thread