Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 07:46 AM   #2911
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I see no issues with Pentax again licensing a lens to Tokina. Nothing to loose here. On the other side it generates income for Pentax for which they can do other things. Or maybe they can even share their limited production capacities, which would be even better.
Well nothing new in that respect if it turns out to be the case. Pentax needs to generate revenue and save costs where they can. I'm not sure why people on this forum are so offended by the idea that Pentax would collaborate with Tokina. I guess we will find out soon enough.

02-24-2018, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #2912
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I'm not sure why people on this forum are so offended by the idea that Pentax would collaborate with Tokina. I guess we will find out soon enough.
I think it all feeds into a 'Pentax can't do (...)' agenda which people feel belittles a brand that needs to be built up. Probably most people would be happy if Tokina used a Pentax design and farmed out manufacturing capacity to Pentax, but not if a * lens was effectively a rebadge. Pentax started as an optical company, and there's some pride in being able to design their own lenses, not to mention that people tend to prefer the look of 100% Pentax lens images.
02-24-2018, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #2913
Veteran Member

At the bottom of the sample image page for the K-1 MarkII there are two landscape images from the D-FA* 50mm ƒ1.4. Both using pixel shift.
02-24-2018, 08:31 AM - 3 Likes   #2914
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
but not if a * lens was effectively a rebadge.
What psychological issues would one have to worry about Tokina rebadging an (assumed) very good Pentax * lens?

Not to even mention that the very same happened before with the DA* 50-135mm which was rebadged by Tokina as Tokina 50 - 135 / 2,8 AT-X 535 PRO DX.

And should I dare to mention that the lead optical designer of just that DA*50-135 and the DFA*70-200 and the DFA*50 is the exact same Pentax employee (Masakazu Saori, see http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/pentax-story/70-200/interview/

Let Tokina "rebadge" what they want. I want results, not crutches for my ego.

Last edited by beholder3; 02-24-2018 at 09:14 AM.
02-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #2915
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Every * lens has been a Pentax design. No reason to doubt that has changed. It was kind of annoying in the past that Nikon and canon users could get the excellent 50-135 Tokina lens at a fraction of cost of the da* 50-135 albeit without some of the features. Looking at the specs of the Tokina 50mm I suspect it will cost nearly as much as the Pentax, whether it is the same design or not.
02-24-2018, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #2916
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want results, not crutches for my ego.
You make it sound like there's something wrong with wanting crutches for your ego. 3 out of 5 psychiatrists disagree.
02-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #2917
Pentaxian

Excuse me.

02-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #2918
Pentaxian

Excuse me.
Come on, I took the time to make up a "fact", that means you should believe me.
02-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #2919
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Ain't the new Tokina Opera 50/1.4 looking very similar to our upcoming D-FA* 50/1.4?
The Pentax doesn't have aliasing on the focus ring. Who the heck thinks this sort of thing is acceptable to publish?

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It was closer once upon a time, right?

Weren't both Pentax and Tokina owned by Hoya?

It would have been a good way to shuffle money between companies, call it an expenditure, and get a tax break.
I believe Tokina has always been a standalone company.

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 10:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
This is a ring ultrasonic motor and a 'focus by wire' command. It's pretty easy to program the effect of the sense of rotation, as demonstrated by the Tokina opera lens which uses one direction for the Canon mount and the opposite one for the Nikon mount to conform itself to the 'rule' followed by the respective OEM lenses.
I recall that on my Fuji I can program in the direction of rotation.
02-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #2920
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The Pentax doesn't have aliasing on the focus ring. Who the heck thinks this sort of thing is acceptable to publish?

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 10:00 AM ----------

The only possible lens of importance would be the Tokina 20-35. Is it the same as the Pentax 20-35, and that's only important at all, because they are both available in K-mount. After that type of situation, why does it matter?

If every DA* was licensed by Tokoina so Canon and Nikon users had access to them, that wouldn't affect me.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-24-2018 at 09:27 AM.
02-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #2921
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
(...)

(...)
Tokina was originally set up by a group of Nikon optical engineers who weren't happy with their job. Quite a bold move for Japanese employees of a prestigious corporation in 1950!

Tokina merged with Kenko in 2011.
02-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #2922
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What psychological issues would one have to worry about Tokina rebadging an (assumed) very good Pentax * lens?
But what I said was if the Pentax * lens were a rebadge of somebody else's design - do that too often and you are just a trading company, not an innovator - but I have no problem with Pentax licencing designs to others, if it brings in a bit of extra cash for them -mas I said. I know I used the word pride, but I'm actually talking about pragmatism not psychology or ego.
02-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #2923
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The only possible lens of importance would be the Tokina 20-35. Is it the same as the Pentax 20-35, and that's only important at all, because they are both available in K-mount. After that type of situation, why does it matter?

If every DA* was licensed by Tokoina so Canon and Nikon users had access to them, that wouldn't affect me.
I like to think that in an optical company there would be some sort of pride in how the product is presented. I find it ironic that an optical company is presenting a product with an image that has a glaring optical defect, but that's just me.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-24-2018 at 09:29 AM.
02-24-2018, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #2924
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, I've edited a couple of posts, and those members will know why. Let's not let this descend into an argument please. Thank you
02-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #2925
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It was closer once upon a time, right?

Weren't both Pentax and Tokina owned by Hoya?

It would have been a good way to shuffle money between companies, call it an expenditure, and get a tax break.
The company was founded by former Nikon engineers as an OEM manufacturer and originally made lenses for other companies

The US branches of the companies, Tokina Optical Corporation USA and Kenko Company USA had previously merged in 1993 to form THK Photo Products, Inc. The letters THK comes from Tokina, Hoya, Kenko.

They worked as trading company. THK Photo Products, Inc.

Kenko Tokina USA – Distributor of Slik, Tokina, Hoya and Kenko Camera products
Closed Thread