Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2018, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #1546
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have come close to pulling the trigger on an FA*85 several times but my LBA ran into my bank balances and lost. (Thank goodness!) I need to build up my reserves again before spending on a lens and the next purchase is probably going to be the DA* 11-18.

06-27-2018, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #1547
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
My assumption, probably wrong, is that part of the fun is using Pentax equipment and the best we can afford.
No matter how much money I have, I won't purchase a lens I wouldn't use.
06-27-2018, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #1548
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No matter how much money I have, I won't purchase a lens I wouldn't use.
Of course not!
06-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #1549
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm glad to see Pentax filling the need for pro photographers with an 85mm - it's pretty far off from what I need to shoot with, I have the 100 f/2.8 that would be 'close enough'. Still though, really glad to see Pentax coming out with more.. will be interesting to see what's next!

06-28-2018, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #1550
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'm glad to see Pentax filling the need for pro photographers with an 85mm - it's pretty far off from what I need to shoot with, I have the 100 f/2.8 that would be 'close enough'. Still though, really glad to see Pentax coming out with more.. will be interesting to see what's next!
...it's strange to see people saying they are glad Pentax released a lens they don't need...
It's like... are you buying it? nope, don't need it. you? neither! and you? nah that's for pros... and you? no. glad it's out though.
Hope they manage to sell a couple at least!
06-28-2018, 01:43 AM   #1551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...it's strange to see people saying they are glad Pentax released a lens they don't need...
It's like... are you buying it? nope, don't need it. you? neither! and you? nah that's for pros... and you? no. glad it's out though.
I think that's where the Tokina link-up is vital - other folks with other systems will get the chance to use it and provide sme revenue for RI, and it will be a great repuation enhancer, hopefully. I probably won't buy this lens as I can't justify the cost, but I'd love to have it because it will give a look that I can't currently achieve, and that's always exciting.
06-28-2018, 05:32 AM - 2 Likes   #1552
Pentaxian

A few years ago at the local camera store i asked to see a D810 they had on the shelves. She put an 85 1.4 on it. Of course, that was pretty impressive. SO, my guess is, its for store salesmen to help sell the camera. A sort of promotional gimmick. If a few of you buy it, then that's bonus.

I have my Sigma 70 and my Tamron 90 and DFA 100 macro. I think I have that focal length pretty much covered.

Last edited by normhead; 06-28-2018 at 06:13 AM.
06-28-2018, 06:10 AM   #1553
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A few years ago at the local camera store i asked to see a D810 they had on the shelves. She put an 85 1.4 on it. Of course, the was pretty impressive. SO, my guess is, its for store salesmen to help sell the camera. A sort of promotional gimmick. If a few of you buy it, then that's bonus.

I have my Sigma 70 and my Tamron 90 and DFA 100 macro. I think I have that focal length pretty much covered.
Yeah... I see how that could work but... that's cheating!
It's also probably be a pity, since someone who is swind... hem... convinced that easily by a seller is probably not serious enough about photography.
Some deep-pocketed man that will probably let that wonderful lens rot
06-28-2018, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #1554
Pentaxian

Yeah... I see how that could work but... that's cheating!
It's also probably be a pity, since someone who is swind... hem... convinced that easily by a seller is probably not serious enough about photography.
Some deep-pocketed man that will probably let that wonderful lens rot
Ya those deep pocketed persons should buy a point and shoot and give that gear to those of us who would truly appreciate it.
06-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #1555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It'll be interesting to see how big this lens is. I have the rokinon manual focus "equivalent" and it's beefy, but actually not that big all things considered. Hopefully this is a similar size, I've found the rokinon to be a really nice size to handle.
06-28-2018, 06:33 AM   #1556
Pentaxian

There are many reasons for people to be glad that Pentax is making this lens they don't need or can't afford.
First, it's not a given that they won't ever get the lens, maybe second hand, years from now. And it would strengthen Pentax. And its technology might trickle down in other products (e.g. affordable ring-type SDM lenses). And it might slow down the never-ending PentaxIsDoomed.
06-28-2018, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #1557
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There are many reasons for people to be glad that Pentax is making this lens they don't need or can't afford.
First, it's not a given that they won't ever get the lens, maybe second hand, years from now. And it would strengthen Pentax. And its technology might trickle down in other products (e.g. affordable ring-type SDM lenses). And it might slow down the never-ending PentaxIsDoomed.
This whole series is about changing Pentax production to meet higher standards. Eventually it will be affecting even kit lenses.

What people may not like will be the price. The DFA 28-105 is in every sense a kit lens, but it isn't being sold at a kit lens price. It's possible the days of the low cost consumer alternative are over, at least for Pentax.

Given the CEO's directive to pursue high value, high margin markets instead of market share, that would make sense.

I love my old FA 35-80 kit lens, in a retro-charm kind of way. It's nothing like my DFA 28-105.

Last edited by normhead; 06-28-2018 at 07:00 AM.
06-28-2018, 06:57 AM   #1558
Pentaxian

When the other brands have the second hand market flooded with ring-type USM lenses and other such stuff, can Pentax afford to play the "low cost consumer alternative" game?
06-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #1559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
When the other brands have the second hand market flooded with ring-type USM lenses and other such stuff, can Pentax afford to play the "low cost consumer alternative" game?
Since they don't need to put complex, heavy, and expensive optical stabilization in their new lenses, they may fall into that niche no matter what the price point of the Pentax lens ends up being.
06-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #1560
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Except that not putting in stabilization did not make the Tamron rebadged Pentas DFA 15-30 any cheaper. It costs more than the stabilized version.
Closed Thread