Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #1561
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Except that not putting in stabilization did not make the Tamron rebadged Pentas DFA 15-30 any cheaper. It costs more than the stabilized version.
Yeah because they had to take it out for the Pentax, which is extra work . I would just keep it and let the user decide which stabilisation they use.

06-28-2018, 08:08 AM - 2 Likes   #1562
Pentaxian

Low volume is costly. Even if it's for a version of an already existing product.
06-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #1563
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yeah because they had to take it out for the Pentax, which is extra work . I would just keep it and let the user decide which stabilisation they use.
Maybe the coatings had something to do with it?
06-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #1564
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Maybe the coatings had something to do with it?
I do not know if we have a way to test this but several people have claimed that the lenses have the same coatings. Other have claimed the Pentax lens has Pentax coatings. Since Tamron seems to assemble (MADE IN JAPAN) the lens it would seem probable that it is the same coating.

06-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #1565
Veteran Member

Same blanks for certain but I thought coatings were the province of the final assembler?
06-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #1566
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The lens says Made In Japan. Pentax no longer has a lens plant there. So the assumption has been complete assembly by Tamron with Pentax trim.
07-09-2018, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #1567
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I have come close to pulling the trigger on an FA*85 several times but my LBA ran into my bank balances and lost. (Thank goodness!) I need to build up my reserves again before spending on a lens and the next purchase is probably going to be the DA* 11-18.
too late for me, my friend is bringing mine from France soon, regards Ian

---------- Post added 07-09-18 at 04:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Buy a larger bag.
hahaha that just makes things worse,

---------- Post added 07-09-18 at 04:40 PM ----------

Of course. Not having the funds is the best excuse for not buying a piece of equipment. I am assuming the people interested in the new lens must have funds or they would not be so intent on it. Once that new lens is here I hope it will deserve to find plenty of buyers including me but for now that beautiful FA*85 just sits there.
bought one very expensive though, 975euros + 293 euros tax, if the new 85 is really good when it comes out in a year or two i might go for that as well, regards

07-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #1568
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The lens says Made In Japan. Pentax no longer has a lens plant there. So the assumption has been complete assembly by Tamron with Pentax trim.
That doesn’t preclude the possibility that Pentax grinds, polishes and coats the blanks and forwards them to Tamron for final assembly. The lens says HD - Pentax built custom evaporators to apply HD coatings. A short Tamron production run using the HD coated Pentax blanks, no stabilization, and the cost of the premier coating just might raise the Pentax version cost.
07-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #1569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That doesn’t preclude the possibility that Pentax grinds, polishes and coats the blanks and forwards them to Tamron for final assembly. The lens says HD - Pentax built custom evaporators to apply HD coatings. A short Tamron production run using the HD coated Pentax blanks, no stabilization, and the cost of the premier coating just might raise the Pentax version cost.
Sure, that is a possibility.
07-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #1570
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Agreed - for hiking landscape photographers the weight and size advantage is definitely not something to be brushed off - I love my 70-200 f/2.8, but I love it less when climbing steep hills - and I've not got a w/a zoom yet, useful as it would be, because the 15-30 is just too big (as well as the problems with filters)
Hi Graham, yes it is a monster I rarley use it and am now looking at a Fa*24mm f2 for more practical walk around use, regards Ian
07-09-2018, 04:48 PM - 4 Likes   #1571
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, that is a possibility.
Given the HD label I’d say its more than a possibility.

I don’t understand why, on the D FA 50 thread, the 11-18 thread and this thread, regular Forum posters doubt Pentax actually designed or built or even can build these * lenses.

Geez - really - Pentax is trying to build a reputation as a premier optics company. What’s up with you guys?
07-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #1572
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Given the HD label I’d say its more than a possibility.

I don’t understand why, on the D FA 50 thread, the 11-18 thread and this thread, regular Forum posters doubt Pentax actually designed or built or even can build these * lenses.

Geez - really - Pentax is trying to build a reputation as a premier optics company. What’s up with you guys?
I don't have a dog in the fight. I own, use and like both Tamron sourced lenses. i really do not care who made the parts or assembled the lens. But it does say made in Japan, not Assembled in Japan. In the end it does not matter but we really do not need to be defensive about this. We have a great ff system now. That is all I care about.
07-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #1573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a dog in the fight. I own, use and like both Tamron sourced lenses. i really do not care who made the parts or assembled the lens. But it does say made in Japan, not Assembled in Japan. In the end it does not matter but we really do not need to be defensive about this. We have a great ff system now. That is all I care about.
I understand, but it does matter. Pentax is trying to establish its chops as a premier optics company. Do we know what percentage of the content must be actually made in Japan to earn the MIJ label?
07-09-2018, 05:53 PM - 5 Likes   #1574
Pentaxian

Today's supply chains are much more complex than the old "everything made in one place" model. There's a recent story about the crankshaft of the BMW Mini. It is first cast in France, then machined in the UK, then put in the engine in Germany, and then assembled in the car back in different place in the UK.

For Pentax lenses, production of glass blanks might be done by multiple suppliers (specialized by material). Grinding and polishing the lenses might be some place else. Coatings might be applied at a third factory. Subassembly of some element groups might be done in fourth place (if it requires special cements). And final mechanical assembly could be in fifth place. Manufacturing has become so specialized that few facilities can do it all. High-value products like lenses justify a lot of shipping to do each step where it can be most effectively done.
07-09-2018, 08:03 PM - 2 Likes   #1575
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Today's supply chains are much more complex than the old "everything made in one place" model. There's a recent story about the crankshaft of the BMW Mini. It is first cast in France, then machined in the UK, then put in the engine in Germany, and then assembled in the car back in different place in the UK.

For Pentax lenses, production of glass blanks might be done by multiple suppliers (specialized by material). Grinding and polishing the lenses might be some place else. Coatings might be applied at a third factory. Subassembly of some element groups might be done in fourth place (if it requires special cements). And final mechanical assembly could be in fifth place. Manufacturing has become so specialized that few facilities can do it all. High-value products like lenses justify a lot of shipping to do each step where it can be most effectively done.
Which is why I am not so much concerned about who made the product as I am that it functions properly. It is silly to get prideful about who made a product to me. It is a product -- you use it, it gets a job done, the end.
Closed Thread