Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #1591
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 127
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The new fifty will be the foundation of future Star primes like the 85mm - the reference design.
Hopefully that means they come out faster. All things told, 1 year R&D to retail is pretty good. I'll keep an eye out for the wide angle prime. Looking for that 35



08-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #1592
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,152
QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
Hopefully that means they come out faster. All things told, 1 year R&D to retail is pretty good. I'll keep an eye out for the wide angle prime. Looking for that 35

I think products - whether lenses or cameras - will come out on a drip feed.

The entire market dived after Ricoh bought Pentax in 2011, and very, very limited financial resources will be released to them by the bosses.

Their accountants will be a bit more tolerant of the low volume, high margin niche and this 50mm seems to have sold out its production run, so that's good news.
08-05-2018, 05:55 PM - 2 Likes   #1593
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 90
And while the DFA*50mm has outstanding bokeh on the pictures we've seen so far; then regarding the 85mm, I vaticinate the end of the world.
08-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #1594
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,180
QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
And while the DFA*50mm has outstanding bokeh on the pictures we've seen so far; then regarding the 85mm, I vaticinate the end of the world.
Can you explain this? Looks like maybe a typo of some kind.

08-05-2018, 07:26 PM - 2 Likes   #1595
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,410
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Based on the what we have seen from the 50mm 1.4 just released, does anyone have any comment on how that lens affects their opinion of the upcoming 85 1.4? I have not read much on the 50mm 1.4 yet, but some photos that I have seen have been very impressive!
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The new fifty will be the foundation of future Star primes like the 85mm - the reference design.
And consider the A*85/1.4 is the legacy the D FA*85/1.4 will reference.

.:
08-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #1596
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,152
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And consider the A*85/1.4 is the legacy the D FA*85/1.4 will reference.

.:
Yeah, that legendary lens would have had a big impact on Hirakawa when he designed the FA*85, then later the cut down FA77.

I think it will have little to do with this new lens, that will kill it in performance, most likely.

I think the A*85 can be thought of as a grandmother, and the DFA*50 as a sister, or some such.
08-05-2018, 11:43 PM   #1597
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 3,897
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Their accountants will be a bit more tolerant of the low volume, high margin niche … and this 50mm seems to have sold out its production run, so that's good news.
I think also that you can't overestimate the value of prestige - a prestige line only has to break even or not lose too much to be worth it for a company - customers are more likely to trust the more run of the mill products if they know that the company can produce market-leading excellence - investment in the high end is what made Nikon a successful brand for that reason

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Originally posted by Gianclaudio
And while the DFA*50mm has outstanding bokeh on the pictures we've seen so far; then regarding the 85mm, I vaticinate the end of the world.
Can you explain this? Looks like maybe a typo of some kind.
Google translate?
08-06-2018, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #1598
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,066
I think it is important to understand how long s lens can stay in the portfolio.
The DFA* 50 has top line coatings, newest AF drive, resolved corner to corner top notch wide open and has the new KAF4 mount.
That lens will sell well for 10+ years.

08-06-2018, 02:39 AM - 2 Likes   #1599
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 19,125
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Can you explain this? Looks like maybe a typo of some kind.
I think he's saying he is going to go eat a meal at the Vatican instead of buying this lens.
08-06-2018, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #1600
bxf
Pentaxian
bxf's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lisbon area
Posts: 1,279
QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
...I vaticinate the end of the world.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Can you explain this? Looks like maybe a typo of some kind.
I suspect this is Latin for "Pentax (along with the rest of the world) is doomed"
08-06-2018, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #1601
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,410
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, that legendary lens would have had a big impact on Hirakawa when he designed the FA*85, then later the cut down FA77.

I think it will have little to do with this new lens, that will kill it in performance, most likely.

I think the A*85 can be thought of as a grandmother, and the DFA*50 as a sister, or some such.
If the FA Limiteds are the Three Princesses and the three DA Limiteds are the Three Princes, then the 8-element Takumar 50/1.4 is Emperor and the A*85/1.4 is Honored Grandfather.

.:
08-06-2018, 05:10 AM   #1602
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,152
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If the FA Limiteds are the Three Princesses and the three DA Limiteds are the Three Princes, then the 8-element Takumar 50/1.4 is Emperor and the A*85/1.4 is Honored Grandfather.

.:
Ooh, you brought the culture into the metaphor, very stylish!

08-06-2018, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #1603
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 90
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Can you explain this? Looks like maybe a typo of some kind.
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Google translate?
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think he's saying he is going to go eat a meal at the Vatican instead of buying this lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I suspect this is Latin for "Pentax (along with the rest of the world) is doomed"
Haha, very funny.

I was exaggerating and making a joke, as the 50mm has already a great bokeh, I expect the 85 to be the ultimate one, and the end of everything we've seen.
08-06-2018, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #1604
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,180
QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
Haha, very funny.

I was exaggerating and making a joke, as the 50mm has already a great bokeh, I expect the 85 to be the ultimate one, and the end of everything we've seen.
Ah, as in vatis = propeht/poet rendered as a verb. Very learned and clever. Thanks for explaining.
08-08-2018, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #1605
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 113
with the latest excellent releases of the star series has increased the desire for this lens, will honor the legacy of a * and fa *.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, choice, company, d-fa* 85mm f1.4, day, designers, f1.4, f2.8, ff lens, filters, future, google, lens, lenses, light, macro, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, production, quality, release, roadmap, schedule, sign, thursday, wa
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: FA* 85mm F1.4 SOLD!!! Cambo Sold Items 2 04-29-2016 01:11 PM
FA*85mm f1.4 and FA*28-70mm f2.8 on Gumtree Australia Des Pentax Price Watch 7 01-25-2016 04:27 PM
Lens Tournament: FA* 85mm F1.4 vs A* 85mm F1.4 Adam Pentax Forums Giveaways 5 10-23-2014 10:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top