Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 02:59 AM - 4 Likes   #1651
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For whatever reason, Pentax has decided that the 60-250 is an APS-C lens. I know that people have done their own modifications to the 60-250's baffle and that it is then full frame compatible, but my guess is that this is similar to the DA *55 full frame compatibility -- what's good enough for us is not good enough for Pentax and they want better border sharpness and less vignetting on full frame than the 60-250 offers. This is why Pentax designed full frame lenses are so large.

Just changing the baffle, putting a DC motor in it, and changing the hood might be enough to please some people, but Pentax sets themselves a high bar. Maybe it's a bit like when I look around and say "The house looks clean to me," while my wife says "It's absolutely filthy!" We are both right from our perspective, but she isn't satisfied with the level of cleanness that satisfies me.

Last edited by Rondec; 08-17-2018 at 03:39 AM.
08-17-2018, 05:05 AM   #1652
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
the ƒ2.8 is too expensive and a bit too heavy
I promise you, neither of those things seem important when you see the results
08-17-2018, 05:28 AM   #1653

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I promise you, neither of those things seem important when you see the results
Oh, I have seen the pictures. They are undeniably sweet. I'm just hoping for something slightly less sweet, yet more affordable
08-17-2018, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #1654
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For whatever reason, Pentax has decided that the 60-250 is an APS-C lens. I know that people have done their own modifications to the 60-250's baffle and that it is then full frame compatible, but my guess is that this is similar to the DA *55 full frame compatibility -- what's good enough for us is not good enough for Pentax and they want better border sharpness and less vignetting on full frame than the 60-250 offers. This is why Pentax designed full frame lenses are so large.

Just changing the baffle, putting a DC motor in it, and changing the hood might be enough to please some people, but Pentax sets themselves a high bar. Maybe it's a bit like when I look around and say "The house looks clean to me," while my wife says "It's absolutely filthy!" We are both right from our perspective, but she isn't satisfied with the level of cleanness that satisfies me.
The DA*60-260 is still in the catalogue. Many have modified their 60-250s, others are happy using it without modification. There is already a lens in the 70-200 slot that the new lens will be competing with. APSpc shooters would have to accept less range. Many FF shooters will continue to use their 60-250s. There is a really diminished market for this lens. Especially if it come in at higher cost than the 60-250. It's not clear if this lens is a 70-210 type lens, a 16-85 type lens, or a DA* type lens. MY guess is consumer glass, not as good optically as the 60-250, but more affordable and faster AF.

But I know absolutely nothing. And I wouldn't bet on anything at this point. I'll make up my mind what it is, the day they release the product info. Then we'll know something.

08-17-2018, 05:44 AM   #1655
Pentaxian

Many are happy with old 50mms based on the 1968 Super Takumar design. That doesn't mean there's no place for the D FA* 50mm f/1.4.

It's way to early to assume that the D FA will be "not as good optically as the 60-250". Especially on FF.
08-17-2018, 05:52 AM   #1656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm just hoping for something slightly less sweet, yet more affordable
To be fair, I was lucky to get mine on an amazing flash sale - the RRP at the time was £1,799 (now £1,999) and I got it for £1,299 - I could never have afforded the full price then, let alone now - but it's worth keeping an eye on prices - these things do happen - I'm pretty sure that srs microsystems in the UK export to the EU - might be worth checking generally - the UK is not cheap for camera stuff, but neither is most of the EU

https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/lenses/pentax-lenses/pentax-full-frame-lenses.html?p=1
08-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #1657

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
the RRP at the time was £1,799 (now £1,999) and I got it for £1,299
Damn, it's like winning a lottery or something. I'm speechless.

08-17-2018, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #1658
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Many are happy with old 50mms based on the 1968 Super Takumar design. That doesn't mean there's no place for the D FA* 50mm f/1.4.

It's way to early to assume that the D FA will be "not as good optically as the 60-250". Especially on FF.
Thats why I suggested it as possibility, if we are going to speculate , I don't see any reason to leave anything out. It's not listed on the road map as a DFA*. So we know it's not top shelf. Since the DA*60-250 is a star lens there may be a conclusion to be drawn there.

Or it could also be that the new mid to upper range consumer is better than the old DA*s. Anything's possible. The place of the new 50 has been discussed. Pros and people with money to spend. It's not a lens for everyone. It costs more than many APS-c shooters have paid for their whole multi-lens system. Looking at the 70-200 ƒ4s from other companies, they tend to be more "lenses for everyone."

I'm seeing this as more like the F 70-210 which existed side by side with the FA*80-200, only it will be the modern equivalent of that lens. People who want a DA* will be buying the 2.8.

Last edited by normhead; 08-17-2018 at 06:16 AM.
08-17-2018, 06:04 AM   #1659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn, it's like winning a lottery or something. I'm speechless.
keep your eyes open - it happens - and good luck
08-17-2018, 06:47 AM   #1660
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The DA*60-260 is still in the catalogue. Many have modified their 60-250s, others are happy using it without modification. There is already a lens in the 70-200 slot that the new lens will be competing with. APSpc shooters would have to accept less range. Many FF shooters will continue to use their 60-250s. There is a really diminished market for this lens. Especially if it come in at higher cost than the 60-250. It's not clear if this lens is a 70-210 type lens, a 16-85 type lens, or a DA* type lens. MY guess is consumer glass, not as good optically as the 60-250, but more affordable and faster AF.

But I know absolutely nothing. And I wouldn't bet on anything at this point. I'll make up my mind what it is, the day they release the product info. Then we'll know something.
Just to make it clear, I think Pentax will keep the DA *60-250 around. I just don't think Pentax will upgrade it to make it full frame compatible (in their eyes). This for a few reasons. For one thing, I think they believe they would sell more copies of a new 70-200 f4 than if they re-released the 60-250. It also would probably take a similar length of time to re-do the 60-250 as to come up with a new design for a 70-200 f4.

From the sound of things, Pentax is going to be going back and improving the 16-50 and 50-135. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same for the 60-250 when those projects are done in two to three years, I just doubt that even then they would state that it is a full frame lens.
08-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #1661
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And even today the F70-210 is a respectable lens.

.:
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thats why I suggested it as possibility, if we are going to speculate , I don't see any reason to leave anything out. It's not listed on the road map as a DFA*. So we know it's not top shelf. Since the DA*60-250 is a star lens there may be a conclusion to be drawn there.

Or it could also be that the new mid to upper range consumer is better than the old DA*s. Anything's possible. The place of the new 50 has been discussed. Pros and people with money to spend. It's not a lens for everyone. It costs more than many APS-c shooters have paid for their whole multi-lens system. Looking at the 70-200 ƒ4s from other companies, they tend to be more "lenses for everyone."

I'm seeing this as more like the F 70-210 which existed side by side with the FA*80-200, only it will be the modern equivalent of that lens. People who want a DA* will be buying the 2.8.
08-17-2018, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #1662
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And even today the F70-210 is a respectable lens.

.:
With a few aspherical elements for CA control it would still be relevant. They did the best they could with spherical glass. But, I'm not selling mine anytime soon. Part of that is because it's Tess's.

But part of the charm of the 70-210 is it's size. Screw drive is part of that. I doubt pentax will make another 70-200 type lens the size of the F 70-210. It would be awesome if they could pull it off though.

My images have been ruined by CA or purple fringing often enough with it, I hesitate to use it now. I'm sure used with ehflm camera it came on an SF1 it would still work great.
08-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #1663
Pentaxian

May I be allowed a few stupid questions? What is behind the delay in getting this magical 85mm f/1.4 on the shelves? It is not like Pentax haven't got any suitable designs in the archives.

To me, the FA* of yesteryear can just be revived with the latest HD coating. It was pretty good back then. Has the game really moved on so much that it is no longer up to the standards set by the competition?

Likewise, why not revive a real classic like the A* 85mm f/1.4? Judging by the crazy fleabay prices, there is a market for it. The same goes for the legendary K 85mm f/1.8. Just add a great big focus motor and call it good. Or is it not that simple?

It might even be a corporate rivalry thing. Decades ago, Kawasaki was just about ready to put a four cylinder 750 bike on the market. Honda pre-empted them with the classic CB750. Instead of releasing their product and cashing in on the 750 four hype, Kawasaki shelved their project and went back to the drawing board. The result was the fabulous 900, another two wheeled classic. It was years in the making and the delay must have cost Kawasaki a pile of money.

A non-technical explanation might be that the rights to these classic designs do not reside with the current owners of the Pentax trademark. Who knows? So many questions...
08-17-2018, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #1664
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
May I be allowed a few stupid questions? What is behind the delay in getting this magical 85mm f/1.4 on the shelves? It is not like Pentax haven't got any suitable designs in the archives.

To me, the FA* of yesteryear can just be revived with the latest HD coating. It was pretty good back then. Has the game really moved on so much that it is no longer up to the standards set by the competition?
Alas, yes. And one word explains the why: pixelpeeping.
08-17-2018, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #1665
Pentaxian

When you compare the DA*55 to the FDA 50, there is improvement even though both are DA*s. I can't imaging that wouldn't be true of the FAs. The good thing is, unlike some other companies with no legacy glass if the FA meets your needs you can buy one on eBay. You aren't locked into a company's current offerings.

Pentax is focussing on premium quality product that goes beyond the older FA* and DA* values. High margin, not volume. They were ready for this, this type of glass has been neglected. There are lots of older lenses out there for those of us who are adverse to such products. And when the new ones come out, people will upgrade and there will be more of them available at better prices.

Onward and upward I say.

Why do I like the DFA *50 1.4? Because it enabled me to get a DA*55 1.4 for 35% off. SO I'm a big fan. Maybe not of the lens itself, but because of it's effect on the market.

When the new DFA*85 1.4 comes out, I may look to see who is selling FA 85s for good prices. It's not less than it was optically because something better has been released.

Last edited by normhead; 08-17-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Closed Thread