Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #1816
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
BTW, I will end my commitment to the VIDEO issue on pentaxforums here now for a while and would be happy if more people would dare to raise there voices for progress and come with arguments and not only statements.

because now.... i am gonna take my cams and ride...
The Commitments - Mustang Sally - YouTube

OK.

Pentax progress without video is fine by me.

10-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #1817
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm just hoping the rumors about Samsung wanting to supply sensors to camera manufacturers and some kind of deal with Pentax that includes a Samsung processor prove to be correct. I think Pentax may be positioning themselves to make a massive step change in their Tech. They just need the faster AF lenses to match.
10-20-2018, 03:44 AM   #1818
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
I really dont feel like I want to repeat, what i wrote before and many others already mentioned before on the forums.
even though clackers may not agree....
One can read very often, that people are demanding video... even if short afterwards they get "stomped" on for it, with a few "2 sentences"-posts form hardcore-forum members...
But i really have a feeling that "the loudest" ... with the shortest and sharpest sentences, dont always represent "the most".
- And those surveys.... yes if those surveys should be meaningful...
(despite that i dont know, how much of the members took part)All pentax users (and I really mean all pentax users) would have to be memembers on pentaxforums... And then all of those pentaxians would have had to take part on such a survey. which for sure is not the case... there is a reason, why I did not join in for a long time.... and that is exactyl that.

So please consider:
Doing R&D for VIDEO purposes, would do so many good things for still photography...

Despite that its obvious that a much stronger 4k capable CPU(/board) would bring many things that also stills photographers would profit from, just:
Take a closer look how much cool technological inventions come from "video R&D" so you can understand what i mean.

I dont remember when, but not sooo long ago, there was a discussion about IF or NOT there would be a way to keep:
high dynamic range
good high ISO performance
but at the same time noticeably LOWER the BASE ISO.

When i think about a feature(or better: a technological advantage) of the "Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and that one will also find in "pro-grade" panasonic video-gear.
(and i guess, they will utilize this technology for sure in their S1R body also since they want to kill off Sony A7/9 series as the jack of all trades")
I really feel this could be the solution....

DUAL NATIVE ISO

If you think about it, such a technology could eventually spare us any co-processor and free up ALL of the processing power of a new Prime on a faster board, to do other things much faster...
(AF.C)

But if Ricoh-Imaging keeps their head out of Video R&D... and thinks they know best without reaching out to others...
we will always be a step behind also in stills photography, because they just wont know, that there could be other ways then lousy co-processors that do classical software noise reduction thats hardware baked in, when they keep their heads in the stills-sands...

If you want to know, what DUAL NATIVE ISO means. you should take a close look... and CAREFULLY read the following:
Why Dual Native ISO Should Be the New Industry Standard
or watch:
High ISO, Sharpness & Autofocus - Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K - Q&A Part 1 - YouTube

keep in mind that for "DUAL NATIVE ISO"-systems it is not "cast in stone" that,

they have to have their first circuit’s native capacitor set at ISO 400 and their second at ISO 3200...
It could also just be like the first kickin in at 80 and the second kickin in as late as ISO 800 or 1600...

Just read about dual-native-iso and/or watch the vid, so you can imagine by yourself what that could mean for stills ISO range(or better said for a camera thats dedicated to stills like the K-1) if we keep base ISO 100 and kick in the second circuits native capacitor as late as ISO 6400...

I know, ...now many forum members will come up with the usual "What will it cost?"-angst... but I really do not care, since it seem to be no problem to set up a circuit board replacement service for MarkII upgraders,
add coprocessors to a PRIME engine which also needed a lot of re-engineering, adding touchscreens (to the GRIII for whatsoever reason). honestly people:
Do yourself a favor and stop worrying about R&D costs... you will under or over-estimate them anyway.
Just go straight and tell in here what you like to have for your cameras without caring about the loudest voice.
I think it is likely that Pentax will add 4K video down the road, but lets not pretend that that will change still image quality. The only benefit you get when you go to sensors that do better video is faster read out speeds. So you can suddenly take 12 fps instead 4.5. That's nice if your auto focus system can keep up with it. If not, you just end up with a lot of blurry image. But if you compare DXO Mark sensor scores, they are actually pretty similar between the K-1 and the A9. In fact, the K-1 has a score of 96 and the A9 one of 92. The K-1 has way better image quality at low iso, while the A9 will do better over iso 1600. Makes sense for a sports camera, but not really what I am looking for in a landscape/portrait camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
It doesn't really matter what sensor is used if the other systems can not keep up is an obstacle. That is the problem with the K-1 and K-1II. The UHS-I storage bus can not handle the 36mp sensor. It is the reason there is no 4k video. It is the reason they are not very responsive cameras.

I am not asking Ricoh/Pentax to put everything into video but at least make it simpler to switch between stills and video. As it is now it doesn't work just going from one to the other. Simplify it by setting the Frame rate you want to use with the corresponding shutter speed needed. If you are using 24fps then the shutter will automatically be 1/48s. 25fps will automatically have 1/50s, 60fps 1/120s etc. Instead we have a complete disconnect that forces the user to have to reset shutter speed switching from video to stills. This alone will elevate the video features. We are not getting 4k without UHS-II.
I really think that Photoptimist is right. The most recent sensors have read out speeds capable of 4K video. Older sensors didn't, regardless of the storage bus used. The first Sony full frame sensors that allowed for 4K video were the ones in the A7r II and A7s -- a generation or two after the one in the D800 and K-1 was released. Pentax went with an older sensor for cost reasons and also because they weren't particularly interested in doing high end video. That may change, but reading the tea leaves, I don't really think so.
10-20-2018, 04:03 AM - 2 Likes   #1819
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is likely that Pentax will add 4K video down the road, but lets not pretend that that will change still image quality.
I hope it won't change still image quality, because such a change would be for the worse.

10-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #1820
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really think that Photoptimist is right. The most recent sensors have read out speeds capable of 4K video. Older sensors didn't, regardless of the storage bus used. The first Sony full frame sensors that allowed for 4K video were the ones in the A7r II and A7s -- a generation or two after the one in the D800 and K-1 was released. Pentax went with an older sensor for cost reasons and also because they weren't particularly interested in doing high end video. That may change, but reading the tea leaves, I don't really think so.
Rondec I am not saying Photoptimist is wrong in any way. If Ricoh/Pentax wants to stay competitive they need to move to UHS-II sooner rather than later.
10-20-2018, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #1821
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread is now completely off topic.
threadclosed
Closed Thread