Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

(Sips out of my Canon 24-105 f4 coffee mug)
I think I prefer f2.8 zoom mugs, I get thirsty.

02-28-2017, 06:29 PM - 3 Likes   #212
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
But the f/4 L mug keeps a nice, sharp flavor from first sip through to the bottom of the cup.
02-28-2017, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's a full-size Canon 70-200 f/2.8 white L-lens mug that you'd love. Even the stabilizer, AF, and focus limiter switches "work."
02-28-2017, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
There's a full-size Canon 70-200 f/2.8 white L-lens mug that you'd love. Even the stabilizer, AF, and focus limiter switches "work."
I'd totally buy a Pentax version. Working focus limiter and AF switches are a must.

02-28-2017, 06:58 PM - 2 Likes   #215
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
'Modern' means Pentax is going from Limited shot glasses to kegs you could keep a family of koi in.

03-01-2017, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #216
Pentaxian

I'd like a DA70 coffee cup, please, I usually drink espresso at work
03-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #217
Veteran Member

I just ordered an FA* 85 1.4 to hold me over til the next one sees the light of day.

03-06-2017, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #218
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I just ordered an FA* 85 1.4 to hold me over til the next one sees the light of day.
Mine just arrived! Happy days.
03-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Awesome!!
03-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Bargain if it is going toe to toe with the Zeiss OTUS 1.4/85 , You must remember that Pentax have and should do now, regard themselves as being a premium optic manufacturer and have gone after and bettered Zeiss in the past. It is just that until recently their design philosophy has been to make smaller more discrete designs which bring a different set of compromises. It looks that under Ricoh, that the designers have been told to go for all out optical brilliance and not be constrained by size restrictions in the D FA* line which follows the previous FA* and A* series. So high resolution, high contrast (something I believe that some of the Sigma designs are weaker with) and smooth OOF rendering are the name of the game now. With these new design goals, size will increase and probably price. €2,499 might be a bit high but the OTUS 1.4/85 is in the region of €4,000 so perhaps...
Well said! Pentax certainly does have the ability to better the best of the Zeiss super premium prime lenses.

I would not be surprised if the future Pentax full-frame primes rival the Zeiss OTUS lenses in IQ, at a cheaper than OTUS price (probably comparable to the Zeiss Milvus line of primes).

I was fortunate enough to purchase a nice Pentax A 85mm f/1.4 lens a few months ago for about $800 USD! It's a wonderful lens. How do I think the new Pentax 85mm full frame prime will compare to my my wonderful A 85/1.4? Well, of course it will have auto-focus (I prefer manual lenses that are made like a tank to less rugged AF lenses). From an IQ standpoint it will likely be a little bit better on most lens characteristics (e.g. aberations, color, contrast, vignetting, bokeh, curvature, etc.). But as with most world-class, super-premium lenses, one really has to pay a lot for their incremental increases in IQ. I won't be replacing my A 85/1.4 lens with a new D-FA* 85mm f1.4 that's 2 times the cost if the I.Q. improvement is only incremental.

But I do hope that all of the new Pentax full frame primes are wildly successful! Having a broader range of high quality, full frame lenses will prompt more to purchase Pentax full frame digital camera systems. That will serve to fund future new products across all models for us Pentaxians.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-07-2017 at 03:59 PM.
03-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #221
Veteran Member

So maybe a fast 35 as well.

a new "holy trinity" (35,50,85) of professional level primes.
I wonder if we will see a revamped version of the FA limited primes as well.
03-08-2017, 03:32 AM   #222

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
I wonder if we will see a revamped version of the FA limited primes as well.

No we don't. It had been said here numerous times, that revamping anything from Limited line and adjusting it to the needs of modern matrixes, AF sensor would create a need to completely redesign the formulas.
03-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #223
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
No we don't. It had been said here numerous times, that revamping anything from Limited line and adjusting it to the needs of modern matrixes, AF sensor would create a need to completely redesign the formulas.
If would be ways cheaper for Pentax team to come with a new camera totally suited for older lenses (that is, one point AF; manual focus with split prism, 100% OVF, knobs ala KP, etc), than to redesign old lenses to suit today's cameras.
03-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #224
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With all these lenses coming out implies only one thing, Pentax is serious in developing its full frame technology. I just wish I have the money to buy these lenses and use use them on my APSC cameras. Sorry about the last statement. I'm not in for the FF though im happy since it makes alot of us here happy.
03-13-2017, 02:03 AM   #225

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
If would be ways cheaper for Pentax team to come with a new camera totally suited for older lenses (that is, one point AF; manual focus with split prism, 100% OVF, knobs ala KP, etc), than to redesign old lenses to suit today's cameras.
It would. But you simply cannot make a sensor that behaves like film from an optical point of view and with existing CCD/CMOS/BSI CMOS technology.
Just to name them, the maximum chief ray angle and the thickness of the absorbing layer are simply not the same... This can be seen in wide angle lenses mainly and usually brings 'more vignetting than on film' and 'worse corner resolution than on film'...
Closed Thread