Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #301
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes thanks for the reply, I will tell the forum how it goes and you of course. Thanks again Ian

03-22-2017, 03:27 AM - 3 Likes   #302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
Hmm, I'm a bit concerned.
When buying the K-1, I also decided to not buy more second hand lenses. I have the A* 85mm, and had been thinking of getting the FA* 85. And so I changed my mind and will only buy another lens if it's weather sealed and optimized for the digital sensor.
Handling the 150–450 mm, and seeing the new D-FA* 50mm I'm a bit concerned. Small and light have always been the Pentax speciality. That's why I chose the brand in the eighties, and that has been a reason to stay.
I'm not going to jump, but maybe I'll settle with what I've got or maybe look for the FA Limited trio if the new 50mm and 85mm points in a new design philosophy at Pentax' laboratory.
Small and light is still available in APS land. I can't see why people obsessed with portability and small size is concerned with FF. With the quality possible from APS nowadays, not to mention in the future, the trade off isn't that large.
If you want fast lenses that cover FF theres no way around large lenses if you want image quality that do current and future FF sensors full justice...
03-22-2017, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Small and light is still available in APS land. I can't see why people obsessed with portability and small size is concerned with FF. With the quality possible from APS nowadays, not to mention in the future, the trade off isn't that large.
If you want fast lenses that cover FF theres no way around large lenses if you want image quality that do current and future FF sensors full justice...
Tamron has a nice f/1.8 line of primes that can be considered small and Canon has been introducing a couple new f/2 primes recently. Pentax made the decision for a f/1.4 - a strong statement in my opinion. So we know where the company s going in the enxt couple years. The road is paved, no more whishful thinking.

Comparing the size of the DFA 70-200 to the direct competition, one should note that Pentax lenses are getting bigger than the rest. DFA 150-450 is massive in size, but also in features with no 1:1 competitor. The tammy based 24-70 appears light and the 15-30 is on the heavy side. And Pentax needs no in lens stabilization unit.
03-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #304
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You make pretty strong interpretations of my post, Pål. My "I'm a bit concerned" travels all the way to "obsessed" in your comment.
When light and portable is the top priority for me, I use my Samsung Galaxy J5. It does well for showing my son who lives in Finland what we had for dinner or how home improvements advance.
For "serious photography" (goddamn, it's a hobby!) I enjoy my K-1 very much. There are larger FF cameras out there. In previous eras Pentax successfully made full frame lenses that were much smaller than the competition. Just compare a 50mm f1.4 lens, A, F or FA, with what other makers had for their users. I'm just a bit sad that that doesn't appear to be a priority any longer. It's not an obsession, just a remark.

Kjell

03-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Maybe on discount in some shops. In my part of the world the 24-70 is €350 more than the tamron and the 15-30 is €500 more.
No not in EU, I've seen normal prices of the Tam. 24-70 and 15-30, set a about the same price as the Pentax branded ones... Tmaron have increased their prices, but Ricoh didn't on those lenses.
03-22-2017, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
In previous eras Pentax successfully made full frame lenses that were much smaller than the competition. Just compare a 50mm f1.4 lens, A, F or FA, with what other makers had for their users. I'm just a bit sad that that doesn't appear to be a priority any longer. It's not an obsession, just a remark.
In the old days Pentax only had FF in K-mount. Now they are making two formats sharing mount. To make those coexist harmonically APS will probably be tuned towards smaller size. I believe Pentax is tuning the systems to where they have their respective strengths.
03-22-2017, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #307
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Tamron has a nice f/1.8 line of primes that can be considered small.
Smallish ... 67mm filter sizes, I think. Good basic lineup - 35mm, 45mm and 85mm, and I think Winder believes the Sony FE 55mm f1.8 is actually another Tamron SP.

If Ricoh's instructions to Pentax are, weather this global camera market decline by operating on a tiny budget, work on only a couple of lens releases a year until things get better, I would have thought they could do worse than rebrand all of them from Tamron and say, do their own 24mm. You could get a modern four prime lineup out at the same time, similar to what was done with the D FA zooms.

But it looks like they've gone for big, corrected and f1.4, along with the necessary development time (Sigma have said it takes about three years to design then release a product), and if you want smaller, that's what the older Limiteds are for.

04-29-2017, 12:00 AM   #308

Haven't really touched my Pentax gear since buying into micro 4/3 but good to see them refreshing the old classic focal lengths. I already have the FA 77mm so it would be hard to justify this even if it were a clone of the A or FA versions of the 85... I'm hoping Ricoh at the very least refreshes the 200mm f/4.0 macro before they withdraw from the camera business. It would be the most expensive lens I'd own but I'd get one if it is as good as the FA.
04-29-2017, 01:53 AM   #309
Pentaxian

Withdraw from what?
What are you talking about?
04-29-2017, 02:38 AM - 2 Likes   #310
Pentaxian

It's the gossip that is wished true by some people so they keep repeating it so that more and more people believe it and nobody buys Pentax any more despite that they are bringing out new products regularly. Because that is just not happening or it doesn't count because it is contrary to popular belief.
04-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #311
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Nope,only on paper.
The 50 is currently in production for a little preseries and will go in full production next time.
You can make you a nice Christmas present.
The 85 is still in prototype condition.
With very much luck we will see it as preseries end of this year.
Maybe faster,but no more real information this time.
But it's a complete new optical construction,like the new 50.
More glass inside,more lens elements,much more quality than every 50 and 85 in Pentax history.
Same optical grade like the *2.8 70-200.
Newest glass types and coatings.
The bigger sizes are the results of the higher quality to be in the line with the current sensors and with the future.
Best regards
Any news on K-3 successor sensor size?
04-30-2017, 04:39 PM - 5 Likes   #312
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Any news on K-3 successor sensor size?
APS-H .. to make Ron happy.
05-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #313
Pentaxian

page 21, let's keep it simple, where is the 1.4/85?
05-01-2017, 12:59 AM   #314
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
page 21, let's keep it simple, where is the 1.4/85?
on the road map ?
05-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
APS-H .. to make Ron happy.
Rotfl
Closed Thread