Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #391
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
That is why I bought the Samyang 24mm as a stop gap lens. Although it does not autofocus my first impression is that it is a fine landscape lens which correspondes nicely with my main interests. (And yes I joined the ranks of the K-1 owners.) I am still interested in a wide Pentax lens with autofocus and hopefully some form of weather sealing. But only when I've recovered from my latest spending spree...
yeah, i've been eyeballing old fa* 24mm's on ebay... reviews seem to be mixed. i have a 28mm ricoh lens that resolves really well in the mean time.

06-08-2017, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #392
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
This thread is a bit more fun today.
No it isn't.
06-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #393
al260

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think that's a very old attitude, Al260.
I had a DFA 24-70 \ 2.8 and I sold it !!! I have to compare canon 24-70 \ 2.8 (1) so I think that Tamron is bad. There are 77 \ 1.8 this is a very good lens, I do not want Tamron under any sauce - it's a cheaper alternative but not as DFA quality.
06-08-2017, 03:53 PM - 2 Likes   #394
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tamron lenses as an option, great - but their lenses are soulless - Pentax would lose the one thing that keeps it alive

(imho)
If by 'soulless' you mean 'optically fantastic and a joy' I would agree. If you want, what I think you are referring to as 'soul' in your lenses, put it in your clothes dryer on a spin cycle and then rub the front element with sand paper. Instant 'soul' to your lens.

There are plenty of old lenses to use.. times change.. it doesn't mean you can't stick with your old lenses. But some of us are ready for the change (in increased IQ and less CA). Pentax wouldn't have chosen Tamron for their 24-70mm and 15-30mm (two of their primary launch lenses) if that wasn't the type of lens they were aiming for in their own designs.

06-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #395
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
yeah, i've been eyeballing old fa* 24mm's on ebay... reviews seem to be mixed. i have a 28mm ricoh lens that resolves really well in the mean time.
Yes, the FA*24 is one possibility ... I currently have the Sigma 24mm f1.8 (it's AF), the Samyang 24mm f1.4 and the Voigtlander Color Skopar 20mm f3.5 (a pancake wide angle), to give three more very different options to anyone out there.
06-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #396

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There are the Irix 15mm 2.4 and 11mm F4
Samyang 24 1.4 20mm 1.8 14mm 2.8 12mm 2.8 fish eye and 24mm 3.5 tilt/shift

Legacy Pentax K: 15mm 3.5, 18mm 3.5, 20mm F4 24mm 2.8 and 3.5 and a 17mm F4 Fish eye
Pentax-m 20mm F4 (I have that one, it's nice)
Pentax-A: 16mm F3.5 15mm f2.8 Fish Eye 20mm F2.8 24mm F2.8
And then there are the AF FA* 24mm F2 and FA 20mm F2.8.
You can also look for the Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm F2.8 There is an AF and MF version.
The Sigma 15mm X DG 2.8 fish eye is still for sale and too many legacy Sigma wide angles for k-mount to mention:

There must be something there for everybody until the 20 or 24mm F1.4 arrives (and there is a fish eye zoom coming too).
Unfortunately in terms of AF lenses these options are significantly behind the modern lenses in terms of their image quality, especially on a higher resolution sensor. Pentax really needs a new wide angle prime, but given the pace at which they are releasing lenses, I would not expect one for a long while. If the 85mm isn't even arriving until next year, then the wide angles, which are farther down the road, will probably need even longer. I wouldn't buy any of these legacy lenses, no matter how cheap they are.
06-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #397
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Capture Lights Quote
I want all new Tamron lens on Pentax LOl...

SP 150-600 SP 35 45 85 SP 70-300 SP WHATEVER

Only if Pentax and Tamron are under one roof... then they can be like Sigma, where they produces lens in multiple mount, including their own Sigma mount.

Sigma - SA native mount, but also nikon/canon/sony/m43/etc
Tamron - PK native mount, but also nikon/canon/sony/m43/etc
Well there are two roads towards that.

- Ricoh buy's Tamron. Not very likely for Ricoh to invest in the camera system in that way now.
- Tamron buy's Pentax. That is also a very hard nut to crack. Tamron isn't a real huge company, but much bigger then Ricoh-Imaging. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamron. So this would only mean K-mount and would be the end for all point&shoot camera and for 645 to make it even an option. Tamron has no relation in 645 at the moment, so investing in it would not make much sense.

Not impossible, but also not very likely.

06-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
I bought mine in spite of the reviews, and I haven't regretted it. It's commonly thought of as the least of the FA* lenses, and it does need stopping down a fair way if you want good sharpness across the frame, but that's not everything, at least not in all situations. Have a look on the photos taken with this lens here or on Flickr - that's what made up my mind, not some individual's written opinion.

If you buy one and find it isn't for you, you'll be able to sell it back into the marketplace at very little nett cost.
06-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #399

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Tamron buy's Pentax
Yeah, the company that has financial loses AND is partially own by Sony will buy RI....
06-09-2017, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twomonger Quote
Unfortunately in terms of AF lenses these options are significantly behind the modern lenses in terms of their image quality, especially on a higher resolution sensor. Pentax really needs a new wide angle prime, but given the pace at which they are releasing lenses, I would not expect one for a long while. If the 85mm isn't even arriving until next year, then the wide angles, which are farther down the road, will probably need even longer. I wouldn't buy any of these legacy lenses, no matter how cheap they are.
There is legacy No that's no good!
There is Irix and Samyang.No that's not AF!
There are a 24-70 and a 15-30 wides. No those are big crappy zooms!

So you won't buy relatively cheap (some are quite rare and so pretty pricey though) available lenses and won't wait for new ones. Maybe Pentax is not the right choice for you then. if you want to throw money into your hobby pit fast then go to one of the big brands. The have plenty of options for you that will solve any problem you have by throwing cash at it. No love lost.
06-09-2017, 01:35 AM - 2 Likes   #401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There are a 24-70 and a 15-30 wides. No those are big crappy zooms!.

They are VERY good and sharp for pro work..but maybe thats not good enough for you! Especially the 15-30!
06-09-2017, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote

They are VERY good and sharp for pro work..but maybe thats not good enough for you! Especially the 15-30!
You're arguing with Irony.
06-09-2017, 01:58 AM   #403
Pentaxian

By the way... I remember someone saying this D FA 85 f/1.4 would (likely?) beat the new Sigma. I was just reading some glowing reviews for the Sigma... now I want the Pentax as well!
Should I take a second job? Sell a kidney? Please advise!
06-09-2017, 02:53 AM   #404
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
By the way... I remember someone saying this D FA 85 f/1.4 would (likely?) beat the new Sigma. I was just reading some glowing reviews for the Sigma... now I want the Pentax as well! Should I take a second job? Sell a kidney? Please advise!
You are having unreasonable expectations about Pentax lens design. Pentax doesn't just want sharpness so I expect the lens to be a bit softer wide open than the Sigma.
06-09-2017, 03:12 AM   #405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If by 'soulless' you mean 'optically fantastic and a joy' I would agree. If you want, what I think you are referring to as 'soul' in your lenses, put it in your clothes dryer on a spin cycle and then rub the front element with sand paper. Instant 'soul' to your lens.
clearly not - but it surprises me how many people on this forum think that (cumulatively) everything Pentax do is done better by others

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
it doesn't mean you can't stick with your old lenses. But some of us are ready for the change
who said anything about that? - I just prefer the rendering of my DFA 70-200 to my DFA 24-70
Closed Thread