Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2017, 03:15 AM   #751
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Here a more detailed list for you to double check the numbers:
After removing the not yet released products, products released before 2017, the junk, the overpriced "German" stuff and the dedicated CINE lenses, I'm getting:
- four five by Sony
1. 12-24mm f/4G
2. 16-35mm f/2.8 GM
3. 100mm f/2.8 STF GM OSS
4. 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS
5. Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - you forgot this one

- one by Zeiss
1. Batis Apo Sonnar T* 135mm f/2.8

- two one by Voigtländer
1. Macro Apo-Lanthar 65mm f/2

- four one by Samyang
1. AF 35mm f/2.8 FE

- one by Kenko Tokina
1. 400mm f/8 N II

- five by Schneider Kreuznach
1. Xenon FF Prime Tilt-Shift 25mm T/2.1
2. Xenon FF Prime Tilt-Shift 35mm T/2.1
3. Xenon FF Prime Tilt-Shift 50mm T/2.1
4. Xenon FF Prime Tilt-Shift 75mm T/2.1
5. Xenon FF Prime Tilt-Shift 100mm T/2.1
(CINE lenses but at least they cover FF)

From 34 down to 14.

---------- Post added 17-09-17 at 01:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I don't possess any E-mount camera.
Then, why promoting the E-mount at the expense of Pentax?

09-17-2017, 03:37 AM   #752
Pentaxian

The Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/2 FE Zero-D is definitely no junk nor a cine lens, nor are some other lenses you removed from the list.

The Samyang VDSLR 16mm T/2.6 is indeed a cine lens but a 24x36 one with no 'photo' equivalent, as are the Schneiders.

However I respect your choices as I am sure you respect mine.

And 14 new lenses or 16 or whatever is still much more than the two K-mount lenses released this year (not counting "the junk" and "the overpriced "German" stuff)", of which none from Ricoh Imaging; namely, the Irix 11mm f/4 and 15mm f/2.4.

Last but not least, I wasn't "promoting the E-mount at the expense of Pentax", I was just answering a question asked by normhead. Furthermore, if I were inclined to promote the E-mount, why would I need to own E-mount equipment to do so? My car is a Jaguar, it doesn't prevent me to promote other brands when I am discussing with friends...
09-17-2017, 03:53 AM   #753
Pentaxian

The Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/2 FE Zero-D was announced last year.
All right, the XEEN goes back. 15? Still, I reduced the list by more than half

The IRIX 15mm was announced last year.
The Kenko 400mm N II is also for K-mount.

And what exactly are you doing, when your point is that E-mount is much better supported than K-mount?
09-17-2017, 04:09 AM   #754
Pentaxian

normhead's question was about the lenses released this year, not announced.

09-17-2017, 04:15 AM   #755
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And what exactly are you doing, when your point is that E-mount is much better supported than K-mount?
just answering question of NormHead.

im i the only one who read all, and whole posts ?
09-17-2017, 05:19 AM   #756
Pentaxian

I've read the entire exchange, and before that.
Normhead's himself was responding to another poster's "There is a lot missing. Other companies are innovating.". The thing is, in a display of numbers Pentax cannot "win" against Sony, especially when you'll be counting every junk out there. But that is irrelevant; what matters is if Pentax is a good choice for us.
I'm tired of the "Pentax is losing" attitude. I'm tired of irrelevant comparisons, including stuff I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole but it's a "win" because Pentax doesn't have it.
This thread's subject is about an upcoming Pentax product which will close yet another important gap. It should be slightly on the positive side, I'd say.
09-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #757
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, they're right over their opinion about Pentax and the other brand. As far as I'm concerned when this lens is out and when I have the cash, I'm getting this lens. It doesn't matter if other brands are ahead of Pentax.

09-17-2017, 05:56 AM   #758
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've read the entire exchange, and before that.
Normhead's himself was responding to another poster's "There is a lot missing. Other companies are innovating.". The thing is, in a display of numbers Pentax cannot "win" against Sony, especially when you'll be counting every junk out there. But that is irrelevant; what matters is if Pentax is a good choice for us.
I'm tired of the "Pentax is losing" attitude. I'm tired of irrelevant comparisons, including stuff I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole but it's a "win" because Pentax doesn't have it.
This thread's subject is about an upcoming Pentax product which will close yet another important gap. It should be slightly on the positive side, I'd say.
It's amazing how many people complain about Pentax's lack of innovation etc. I simply don't own all the Pentax gear I would like. I don't see how the availability differences from other brands is a point when I can't fill up my Pentax line-up. Maybe it suck for rich people but I already can't afford every Pentax lens I'd like.

. Interesting, Sony releasing 5 lenses for the year. Recently from Pentax, 70-200, 15-30, 24-70, 28-105, 150-450. I own exactly one of those lenses. If Rondec, who owns a lot of these lenses wants to complain he can't buy anything else that's one thing, but some guy complaining Pentax doesn't have enough selection when I go to Henry's and I can find 70 items listed for Pentax K mount, that stuff I can buy today, no searching the second hand markets, no taking chance on used lens.

So basically where I'm going with this, is unless Pentax doesn't have something you want to buy right now, you have no need to complain. Instead of pointing at the grass on the other side of the fence... look in the mirror and say "there are more than 50 lenses available in K-mount in the stores right now, at least 40 of them that I don't own, but that's not good enough for me" and laugh at yourself.

Reminds me of a great line from the Eagles , Desperado. "Now it seems to me some fine things have been laid upon your table, but you only want the ones that you can't get." We got a bunch of desperadoes here.

Last edited by normhead; 09-17-2017 at 06:13 AM.
09-17-2017, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #759
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's amazing how many people complain about Pentax's lack of innovation etc. I simply don't own all the Pentax gear I would like. I don't see how the availability differences from other brands is a point when I can't fill up my Pentax line-up. Maybe it suck for rich people but I already can't afford every Pentax lens I'd like.

. Interesting, Sony releasing 5 lenses for the year. Recently from Pentax, 70-200, 15-30, 24-70, 28-105, 150-450. I own exactly one of those lenses. If Rondec, who owns a lot of these lenses wants to complain he can't buy anything else that's one thing, but some guy complaining Pentax doesn't have enough selection when I go to Henry's and I can find 70 items listed for Pentax K mount, that stuff I can buy today, no searching the second hand markets, no taking chance on used lens.

So basically where I'm going with this, is unless Pentax doesn't have something you want to buy right now, you have no need to complain. Instead of pointing at the grass on the other side of the fence... look in the mirror and say "there are more than 50 lenses available in K-mount in the stores right now, at least 40 of them that I don't own, but that's not good enough for me" and laugh at yourself.

Reminds me of a great line from the Eagles , Desperado. "Now it seems to me some fine things have been laid upon your table, but you only want the ones that you can't get." We got a bunch of desperadoes here.
Yes, the grass is forever greener, but I think the point being made is also that if one outfit falls too far behind the curve, it is more likely to peg out and cease trading because not enough customers buy its products anymore. So some folks anyway are naturally worried that lack of activity from their favourite brand presages worse to come. In addition, playing the numbers game with Pentax lenses doesn't work. Many folks don't want film-era or screwdrive lenses, they want good modern versions of those classic focal lengths - but few of those are out in K-mount. Not one is yet out for the K1 FF portfolio. And why should they not want them. It's quite normal to want a good modern lens for a good modern camera and many other brands already have them. There's no need for fuss but there clearly is a need for Pentax to get their skates on with good modern primes for modern FF.
09-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #760
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Yes, the grass is forever greener, but I think the point being made is also that if one outfit falls too far behind the curve, it is more likely to peg out and cease trading because not enough customers buy its products anymore. So some folks anyway are naturally worried that lack of activity from their favourite brand presages worse to come. In addition, playing the numbers game with Pentax lenses doesn't work. Many folks don't want film-era or screwdrive lenses, they want good modern versions of those classic focal lengths - but few of those are out in K-mount. Not one is yet out for the K1 FF portfolio. And why should they not want them. It's quite normal to want a good modern lens for a good modern camera and many other brands already have them. There's no need for fuss but there clearly is a need for Pentax to get their skates on with good modern primes for modern FF.
Those seeking good modern primes as opposed to lenses that actually do what they want them to do at a size they can handle are no doubt a part of the market. That Pentax needs to accelerate their lens releases to cater to the "I have to replace my lenses every five years so I have something modern" crowd is really just speculation. Sure that may be part of the market. It's actually really small part of the market. My guess would be that the vast najoiryt of the forum hasn't graduated beyond the 18-50 and the 55-300 PLM for modern glass. And that the majority of 18-55 user didn't upgrade to the 18-50, or that most 55-300 users upgraded to the PLM.

It's always interesting people speculate on what others want.

SO tell me mecrox, if Pentax miraculously pulled all the lenses you desire out of hat and you could buy them all, and they are expensive, how much money would you drop tomorrow on them? I, and most people haven't bought a 55 1.4. have you? You know, modern, silent focus, 1.4.

My point being, just because folks come on the forum and whine and cry about wanting this or that, doesn't mean they'd actually buy it. To the contrary, i's much easier to whine about lenses that aren't there than it is to actually buy them when they come out. I suspect you are just inventing all these people who have to have modern, built in electrical motor glass. Sure some of them exist, but they are probably insignificant in the over all scheme of things. Most people are a lot more practical, and see thing that go beyond basic image taking to be un-necessary frills.

I had to go put my new DFA 100 macro on the camera to check and see if it was screw drive in response to a thread. I don't care and I didn't notice. Who are these "modern DC lenses only" snobs you talk about? Are you one of them?

The forum would be a much more "real" place if people stopped posting the opinions of people who exist only in their imaginations.

Last edited by normhead; 09-17-2017 at 09:22 AM.
09-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #761
Veteran Member

Those seeking good modern primes as opposed to lenses that actually do what they want them to do at a size they can handle are no doubt a part of the market. That Pentax needs to accelerate their lens releases to cater to the "I have to replace my lenses every five years so I have something modern" crowd is really just speculation. Sure that may be part of the market. It's actually really small part of the market. My guess would be that the vast najoiryt of the forum hasn't graduated beyond the 18-50 and the 55-300 PLM for modern glass. And that the majority of 18-55 user didn't upgrade to the 18-50, or that most 55-300 users upgraded to the PLM.

It's always interesting people speculate on what others want.

SO tell me mecrox, if Pentax miraculously pulled all the lenses you desire out of hat and you could buy them all, and they are expensive, how much money would you drop tomorrow on them? I, and most people haven't bought a 55 1.4. have you? You know, modern, silent focus, 1.4.

My point being, just because folks come on the forum and whine and cry about wanting this or that, doesn't mean they'd actually buy it. To the contrary, i's much easier to whine about lenses that aren't there than it is to actually buy them when they come out. I suspect you are just inventing all these people who have to have modern, built in electrical motor glass. Sure some of them exist, but they are probably insignificant in the over all scheme of things. Most people are a lot more practical, and see thing that go beyond basic image taking to be un-necessary frills.

I had to go put my new DFA 100 macro on the camera to check and see if it was screw drive in response to a thread. I don't care and I didn't notice. Who are these "modern DC lenses only" snobs you talk about? Are you one of them?

The forum would be a much more "real" place if people stopped posting the opinions of people who exist only in their imaginations.
The forum might also be a much more "pleasant" place if those with loud mouths and small ideas stopped behaving like cheap bullies. Sigh.
09-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #762
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The forum might also be a much more "pleasant" place if those with loud mouths and small ideas stopped behaving like cheap bullies. Sigh.
I guess it's easier to just call people bullies than to deal with the actual content of a post.

What did you want me to say.

"Dude, that is so intelligent, you are such a genius."

Is that your idea of pleasantness? I guess trying to inject a bit of reality into a thread is "unpleasant" to some. I agree, reality is often unpleasant. But, sooner or later it will burst your dream bubble, one way or the other.

Last edited by normhead; 09-17-2017 at 10:28 AM.
09-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #763
Veteran Member

I guess it's easier to just call people bullies than to deal with the actual content of a post.

What did you want me to say.

"Dude, that is so intelligent, you are such a genius."

Is that your idea of pleasantness? I guess trying to inject a bit of reality into a thread is "unpleasant" to some. I agree, reality is often unpleasant. But, sooner or later it will burst your dream bubble.
The answer is simple. Accept disagreement and show some respect instead of becoming aggressive and throwing insults around because someone comes at a subject from a different point of view. If that's too much for you to understand, put me on your block list and report me to the mods. I will not put up with bullying here or anywhere else.
09-17-2017, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #764
Pentaxian

I'm sorry, mecrox, but what is the point in an Olympus user explaining to us how we lack lenses and our brand might die because of that?

@normhead:
I wouldn't say I'm a snob but since getting the K-1 I decided to buy "modern" lenses, avoiding film-era designs. The best lenses for the best camera, or something like that.
Which means I'm directly impacted by the seemingly slow roadmap execution. I have to wait for the new primes, yet I'm not the loudest complainer Neither is Rondec, despite his impressive kit of D FAs (and the high likelihood of buying new primes).
Isn't this a bit weird?

Perhaps we should make a poll: who is going to buy the D FA* 85mm f/1.4, assuming it would be "up there" in everything, including price? (the Canon is $1600)
And every complaint would include a signed firm commitment of buying the product that's "lacking".

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-17-2017 at 10:46 AM.
09-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #765
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, mecrox, but what is the point in an Olympus user explaining to us how we lack lenses and our brand might die because of that?

@normhead:
I wouldn't say I'm a snob but since getting the K-1 I decided to buy "modern" lenses, avoiding film-era designs. The best lenses for the best camera, or something like that.
Which means I'm directly impacted by the seemingly slow roadmap execution. I have to wait for the new primes, yet I'm not the loudest complainer Neither is Rondec, despite his impressive kit of D FAs (and the high likelihood of buying new primes).
Isn't this a bit weird?

Perhaps we should make a poll: who is going to buy the D FA* 85mm f/1.4, assuming it would be "up there" in everything, including price? (the Canon is $1600)
Stick to the point, please. I am calling out another user for aggressive ad hominem behaviour. That is all, as you know perfectly well of course. This has absolutely nothing to do with deeply tiresome brand and fandom stuff.

Last edited by mecrox; 09-17-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Closed Thread