Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #841
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,258
I'd love to have a use for either of them, I live in a town of 400. Having someone ask for portrait is like a dream.

My Sigma 70 macro ƒ2.8 remains my favourite portrait lens, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

09-21-2017, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #842
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 447
Kunzite-Just think a second, do you really need both of your kidneys
09-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #843
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 495
I wonder: how much sense do expensive, professional grade lenses like a FF 50mm f1.4, make? Before the K1, at least Pentax/Ricoh did not have to care much about the professional market, they could simply make very good, high value products for the serious amateur market. If you go after the "pro" market, than Ricoh's current efforts cannot really be taken serious next to the status of Canon and Nikon, and the dazzling pace at which Sony is getting their pro mirrorless act together.
I kind of would like to see Ricoh/Pentax return to the serious amateur market, or otherwise, go all out to conquer the pro market with Sony-like pace and investment.
The way it is now, nothing much at all is happening anymore. For instance: where the h**l is my K3 successor!!

Chris
09-21-2017, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #844
Pentaxian
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,249
Both in a short time-frame means at worst 2-3 month btw the 2 releases.
I'd think it is 80% reliable.
Definitely not auto-suggested.

09-21-2017, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #845
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,940
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I wonder: how much sense do expensive, professional grade lenses like a FF 50mm f1.4, make? Before the K1, at least Pentax/Ricoh did not have to care much about the professional market, they could simply make very good, high value products for the serious amateur market. If you go after the "pro" market, than Ricoh's current efforts cannot really be taken serious next to the status of Canon and Nikon, and the dazzling pace at which Sony is getting their pro mirrorless act together.
I kind of would like to see Ricoh/Pentax return to the serious amateur market, or otherwise, go all out to conquer the pro market with Sony-like pace and investment.
The way it is now, nothing much at all is happening anymore. For instance: where the h**l is my K3 successor!!

Chris
Chris, I believe you are quite mistaken about the role of the D FA* primes.
Having the D FA* lens line doesn't mean Pentax/Ricoh is going after the professional market, nor that they should go "all out". Whatever Sony is doing is not feasible for Ricoh anyway, and we don't know if it will work out for Sony.
Those lenses, IMO, are precisely aimed at both the serious amateur market and the "pro" one.

The serious amateur market, now, why would you trace imaginary and unnecessary limits on how high should they aim? It's the same as with the FF itself, there were people who said "no, Pentax should stay APS-C". Yet the K-1 worked, people bought it - not only Pentaxians. People bought the D FA* 70-200 and the D FA 150-450, too.
IMO if there are serious amateurs willing to buy the D FA* lenses, then Pentax/Ricoh should make a reasonable attempt at getting and keeping those customers. Because they're the best spenders.

Then, there's the "pro" market, and here there are more than one way - Sony way - of approaching things.
You could go "all out" and hope that in the end you'd somehow recover the huge expenses. If not... things could go bad, very bad. Or, you could set more down to Earth targets, see what kind of pros you can serve, and gradually expand your limits.
Just because Pentax cannot stand at Olympics next to Canon, does it mean they shouldn't even dream about "pro" landscape photography, or weddings, or events for example? Perhaps they should drop the relations with the existing pros, Kenspo included, as they're "too much" for Pentax?
Of course that's not what you're suggesting. But, there's no such thing as stagnation - you either move forward, or you'll be moving backwards. The D FA* primes means moving forward. They're a necessity.
09-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lawrence, KS
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,956
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd love to have a use for either of them, I live in a town of 400. Having someone ask for portrait is like a dream.

My Sigma 70 macro ƒ2.8 remains my favourite portrait lens, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Norm, is the 70 your favorite portrait on full frame or crop or does it matter to you?

Senior pictures maybe? I know what you mean about enjoying the random portrait work.
09-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #847
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,763
2018 calender Year of the Primes!
09-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #848
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,668
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
When Canon and Nikon openly talk about how to enter the "serious" mirrorless market, how can we imagine Ricoh investing in lenses that could be obsolete in just a few years? For me, we are in the same limbo Sony was between the failure of the Alpha 900 and the success of their mirrorless line.
Of all the manufacturers, Pentax seems to depend more on current users devoted to old lenses, so I expect them to internally resolve the legacy lens issue before Ricoh would sign off on entering the MILC market.

09-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #849
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,127
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Of all the manufacturers, Pentax seems to depend more on current users devoted to old lenses, so I expect them to internally resolve the legacy lens issue before Ricoh would sign off on entering the MILC market.
I don't think Ricoh has the resources to adequately support the K-mount and the 645 platform, so I don't see a 3rd MILC mount coming anytime in the foreseeable future. I hope I'm wrong.
09-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #850
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,889
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't think Ricoh has the resources to adequately support the K-mount and the 645 platform, so I don't see a 3rd MILC mount coming anytime in the foreseeable future. I hope I'm wrong.
What could possibly be the unique value proposition of a Pentax MILC?
09-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #851
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,512
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What could possibly be the unique value proposition of a Pentax MILC?
Getting a wide array of lenses courtesy of adaptable Canon EF mount ones haha



Really absolutely nothing. It would essentially be a Sony... but Sony already does Sony well.
09-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #852
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,127
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Really absolutely nothing. It would essentially be a Sony... but Sony already does Sony well.
But Sony makes bodies with sub-par build quality, terrible menus, and bad ergonomics. The E-mount was not designed for FF from the ground up. Sony makes great sensors and has some awesome technology, but they make pretty average cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What could possibly be the unique value proposition of a Pentax MILC?
They make great cameras. Better than Sony is many ways. They just don't have the technology or the resources. They need to partner with Samsung (again) for sensor and AF technology. Without the R&D and production resources it will never happen. I think Ricoh can make a better camera than Sony if they had the sensor and AF technology. The K-1 is a perfect example of an excellent camera that just needs a little speed (AF and imaging pipeline).
09-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #853
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,451
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What could possibly be the unique value proposition of a Pentax MILC?
Couldn't you ask exactly the same question about the K-1?
09-21-2017, 09:41 PM   #854
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,512
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
But Sony makes bodies with sub-par build quality, terrible menus, and bad ergonomics. The E-mount was not designed for FF from the ground up. Sony makes great sensors and has some awesome technology, but they make pretty average cameras.
Not sure that's hurting sales.. it seems more people are satisfied with average than not. Plus they offer pricey G Master lenses.. and those seem to sell.. so they must be doing something properly.


(Even though I share the same opinion with respect to Sony MILC build quality and ergonomics)
09-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #855
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,512
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Couldn't you ask exactly the same question about the K-1?
Well considering it is the only Full Frame DSLR with native K mount I'd say it is rather unique.

One can adapt lenses easily for any mirrorless body compared to for a DSLR.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, choice, company, d-fa* 85mm f1.4, day, designers, f1.4, f2.8, ff lens, filters, future, google, lens, lenses, light, macro, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, production, quality, release, roadmap, schedule, sign, thursday, wa
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: FA* 85mm F1.4 SOLD!!! Cambo Sold Items 2 04-29-2016 01:11 PM
FA*85mm f1.4 and FA*28-70mm f2.8 on Gumtree Australia Des Pentax Price Watch 7 01-25-2016 04:27 PM
Lens Tournament: FA* 85mm F1.4 vs A* 85mm F1.4 Adam Pentax Forums Giveaways 5 10-23-2014 10:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top