Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2017, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #76
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can someone ask them when they wish to release 50 and 85, and .. why not together with 35? Why wait?
Act! So all tree to choose from and ready to buy before long.

Someone noted that planned / probable issue date of the 85 is end of 2017 .. and no mention of release date of 50 ... which I find all too bewildering.
Three crucial primes must be released at the same time.
They should treat three DFA primes as a 35-85 /1.4 zoom lens, and simply do it.
C'mon, drop a bomb Ricoh.

02-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Can someone ask them when they wish to release 50 and 85, and .. why not together with 35? Why wait?
Act! So all tree to choose from and ready to buy before long.

Someone noted that planned / probable issue date of the 85 is end of 2017 .. and no mention of release date of 50 ... which I find all too bewildering.
They should treat three DFA primes as a 35-85 /1.4 zoom lens, and simply do it.
C'mon, drop a bomb Ricoh.
I agree. Pentax would be the talk of the camera world - if only for a little while - if they released three world-class primes simultaneously.
02-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #78
mee
Veteran Member

I don't think they want talk... they want sales. So they'll release when ready. Even if it is incredibly painful for us..
02-23-2017, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #79
Pentaxian

It may be painful, but not as bad as the pain my wallet will feel if I do end up buying one. When the new DFA 85 1.4 comes out, maybe someone will sell me their old FA 85 1.4 for cheap.

After all, it will be old, and noisy and slow focussing, hardly worth me paying for shipping.

Last edited by normhead; 02-23-2017 at 06:39 PM.
02-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #80
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After all, it will be old, and noisy and slow focussing, hardly worth me paying for shipping.
Chance would be a fine thing....
02-23-2017, 04:43 PM - 4 Likes   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
As i said earlier, 2017 is the year of the primes..and the future is bright (F-stop bright)

And to add to the never-ending discussion about size..I have never said its wrong if you like the small and compact stuff..Good for you..But these new badboys are needed in so many ways..Not only to meet the marked, but more important, they are made to get the best out of the amazing sensor in K-1 and future cameras So dont waste anymore energy arguing why this isnt needed because we have the good old ones...

Though I prefer small lenses, I agree very much to this.

Pentax went the way of the small lenses during the APSC years and got hammered again and again on lens reviews which are only catered for test chart sharpness.
Chart sharpness values have become an obsession, like children comparing stats on football cards
The result is that Pentax was always seen as inferior due to this.

So these lenses address the need to show that Pentax lenses are up to the mark for the high resolution sensors in the K1 and cameras in the future.
I do think they mentioned the need for high resolution lenses in the interview last year too.

Of course hopefully, after that (perhaps in 3-5yrs), they will do some smaller lenses too.
02-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Will people buying the D-FA* 85/1.4 be the same as those who are using "any" 85/1.4 on APS-C ?
Or will it be "just" for those using a K-1 (FF) for instance?
I mean, many here are using an 85/1.4 on APS-C, so will this lens likely to be used by both APS-C and FF users?
I plan to buy this and use exclusively on APS-C nice classic 135mm telephoto focal length. Unless it swells way over 1K, then I am out... Like 1,500 is my absolute highest.

02-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I tend to agree with you. To me it's looking as if they're planning to launch another holy trinity: the D-FA* 85mm/50mm/35mm F1.4 series. Highly durable and optically in the same region as Zeiss and Leica. Why not?
Exactly! And with pixel-shift, Pentax is actually better positioned to offer better final image resolution than anything else in the FF world and even beat most MF systems.

Last edited by photoptimist; 02-23-2017 at 04:54 PM.
02-23-2017, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I don't think they want talk... they want sales. So they'll release when ready. Even if it is incredibly painful for us..
Every company wants (positive) talk, how could you possibly not understand that? Talk leads to sales.

The concern is Ricoh will not prioritize the release of lenses subsequent to the 50/1.4. Depending on how advanced in development the 85/1.4 and (presumed) 35/1.4 are, Ricoh shouldn't have the strategy of, "oh, we'll release the 50 in April, and the 85 in August, and the 35 in November". Release them ASAP. Makes folks considering other brands take notice. Fuji is often cited as a company that went from nothing in the ILC world to a nearly full-featured system in just a few years. It's time for Ricoh to do that with FF as they lead up to the K-1 successor.
02-23-2017, 05:17 PM - 4 Likes   #85
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Every company wants (positive) talk, how could you possibly not understand that? Talk leads to sales.
Oh yes because I'm an ignorant fool for not seeing it. Thank you Master luftluss for showing me how dumb I am.

Back in friendlyville, I'd say we talk a lot about Pentax products. Yet I'm not so sure that has really lead to increased sales?

How many yelled for KAF4 backported to K-50 and K-3 and then didn't buy the 55-300 PLM? I think, if anything, our problem is we talk too much and buy too little.
02-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #86
Veteran Member

That's great and all.. except for storage. I'm not so sure I want 100MP or even 77MP files. More processing overhead and a ton more storage overhead. We all need to buy stock in storage drive manufacturers.
100MP with 4 pixel binning would only produce 25MP sized files, but with the benefits of pixel shift in a single exposure. It would take a whole lot of processing power by the camera and that is probably a bigger technical challenge than the sensor.
02-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #87
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
If I was someone keen to get the new wide angle, why would I wait until the other two were finished?

One of our forum members, Mattox, says he is 'gutted' that the lens he wants wasn't released first.
02-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Oh yes because I'm an ignorant fool for not seeing it. Thank you Master luftluss for showing me how dumb I am.

Back in friendlyville, I'd say we talk a lot about Pentax products. Yet I'm not so sure that has really lead to increased sales?

How many yelled for KAF4 backported to K-50 and K-3 and then didn't buy the 55-300 PLM? I think, if anything, our problem is we talk too much and buy too little.
Putting your money where your mouth is always a hard thing to do. I mean look I ponyed up big time for all the stuff in my sig and will for 85 DFA * 1.4 too provided they keep it under 1,500.

I do think the key words you have right is... "I think, if anything, our problem is we talk too much and buy too little..."

Couldn't have said it better myself. I am huge car fan and people on the GM forums always say if General Motors would just build or sell X or Y, I will buy it. Hell they don't even buy X or Y if made and they totally ignore Z too. As a GM fan I get it, but it is pretty easy to be an arm chair exec and Monday morning quarter back. Thanks for introducing common sense back to this discussion.

We should celebrate Pentax is building sweet new DFA primes at all, cameras like the K1 and KP and have true bargains in the marketplace like the K70 and K3II! Let's celebrate they are a brand alive with a strong parent company and have survived in this difficult smart phone era world!

Last edited by gm4life; 02-23-2017 at 09:37 PM.
02-23-2017, 11:19 PM - 4 Likes   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
Anybody know if the 85mm is also on display in prototype form at the show or can we expect to see/handle these at the end of March at the UK Photography Show in Bimringham?

Jonlg
Nope,only on paper.
The 50 is currently in production for a little preseries and will go in full production next time.
You can make you a nice Christmas present.
The 85 is still in prototype condition.
With very much luck we will see it as preseries end of this year.
Maybe faster,but no more real information this time.
But it's a complete new optical construction,like the new 50.
More glass inside,more lens elements,much more quality than every 50 and 85 in Pentax history.
Same optical grade like the *2.8 70-200.
Newest glass types and coatings.
The bigger sizes are the results of the higher quality to be in the line with the current sensors and with the future.
Best regards
02-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Nope,only on paper.
The 50 is currently in production for a little preseries and will go in full production next time.
You can make you a nice Christmas present.
The 85 is still in prototype condition.
With very much luck we will see it as preseries end of this year.
Maybe faster,but no more real information this time.
But it's a complete new optical construction,like the new 50.
More glass inside,more lens elements,much more quality than every 50 and 85 in Pentax history.
Same optical grade like the *2.8 70-200.
Newest glass types and coatings.
The bigger sizes are the results of the higher quality to be in the line with the current sensors and with the future.
Best regards
That sounds really good... .. I wish they can also add a 35 f1.4 to that lineup
Closed Thread