Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #91
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Nope,only on paper.
The 50 is currently in production for a little preseries and will go in full production next time.
You can make you a nice Christmas present.
Christmas ? It's February now... If they produce just one new lens for FF per year, I'm afraid we will see new wide-angle primes only in 2020.

FF wide-angle range of Pentax system is empty.
DFA15-30 and it's all. Not a lot of users want to buy such expensive and big lens, and not prime.
How do they think to attract new user to FF system?

Last edited by ogl; 02-24-2017 at 12:23 AM.
02-24-2017, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
More glass inside,more lens elements,much more quality than every 50 and 85 in Pentax history.
Sounds like every LBAer's wet dream.
02-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Christmas ? It's February now... If they produce just one new lens for FF per year, I'm afraid we will see new wide-angle primes only in 2020.

DFA15-30 and it's all. Not a lot of users want to buy such expensive and big lens, and not prime.
How do they think to attract new user to FF system?

If it's such an issue why don't you just get the Rokinon 20mm f1.8 to hold you off until Pentax releases their version?
02-24-2017, 12:28 AM   #94
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by IggzDaLoc Quote
If it's such an issue why don't you just get the Rokinon 20mm f1.8 to hold you off until Pentax releases their version?
It's not my problem. It's Ricoh's problem. If they build not marginal FF system,
they must understand that system should be in good progress.
Not very slow, but faster. For users with different income and different requirements.

If company can't offer lenses for users and offer to buy the lens from 3rd party maker, it's the sample of bad working company.

Ricoh is typical sample of no good Japanese way of thinking. Fuji thinks in different way.

Last edited by ogl; 02-24-2017 at 12:35 AM.
02-24-2017, 12:29 AM - 2 Likes   #95
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ogl - from your signature you have a lot of really nice Pentax glass, so I can assume you appreciate what is good with Pentax.

All day I have been reading posts from you that have a very negative tone, yet here we are discussing the release of 2 very high quality prime lenses by Pentax in the next period.

To me this is good news, and a good sign for Pentax - that they have the team to design and produce such lenses; that they are committing the capital to produce them; and that they are clearly still executing a business plan that is aiming at excellence and a long term place in the market.

Pentax is a relatively small producer of cameras in a rapidly changing and shrinking market. In such a market it is very easy to make expensive missteps. So I am pleased that Pentax are still producing a range of camera bodies, and they are progressing with lens design and production, even in such a tough market. I am also pleased that they are being cautious and prudent, taking one step at a time - so as best to manage market risks and avoid those brand damaging expensive missteps.

Every camera brand has its strengths and weaknesses, and every camera brand can be criticised by customers and fans for what they are and aren't doing.

If Pentax is no longer meeting your requirements, could I suggest that you look at switching to the brand that will meet them better - you will be happier then. Your Pentax lenses and camera bodies are still very sellable to people who appreciate what the Pentax brand is, and what it is achieving at the moment.

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 02-24-2017 at 12:35 AM.
02-24-2017, 12:35 AM   #96

Totally agree considering the K1 is one of the best cam for landscape out there. But I can understand 50mm and 85mm FL are more of a priority.
02-24-2017, 12:41 AM   #97
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Ogl - from your signature you have a lot of really nice Pentax glass, so I can assume you appreciate what is good with Pentax.
I reason not about me, but about the perspective and policy of Ricoh as camera and lens maker.

If you want to talk about my lenses. I have no very good glass for wide-angle and I don't see such lens in Pentax lens production line.
FA*24/2 is good for me only at my K200D at f8. It will be not as good as I want at FF camera.

02-24-2017, 12:41 AM - 2 Likes   #98
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwipixter Quote
Totally agree considering the K1 is one of the best cam for landscape out there. But I can understand 50mm and 85mm FL are more of a priority.
Yep.

And a fifty is the easiest of the three to design and get right, the wide angle the hardest.

With all due respect to the peanut galleries, shall we let Masakazu Saori (or whoever) get on with it?

02-24-2017, 12:42 AM   #99
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwipixter Quote
Totally agree considering the K1 is one of the best cam for landscape out there
It isn't if you are happy to manual focus WA and UWA lenses. There are plenty of good quality third party lenses and older Pentax manual focus lenses available.

One small example - the new Irix lenses are available in K mount and look pretty good.
02-24-2017, 12:44 AM   #100
ogl
Banned

To me this is good news, and a good sign for Pentax
It's no good sign that the company will produce 1 FF lens per year and there are no wide-angle WR primes for K-1.
02-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #101
ogl
Banned

It isn't if you are happy to manual focus WA and UWA lenses. There are plenty of good quality third party lenses and older Pentax manual focus lenses available.

One small example - the new Irix lenses are available in K mount and look pretty good.
If the user should find manual focus lenses of 3rd party lens maker, because the company can't offer native lens for his camera, it's the sample of bad working company.
Do you understand it?
02-24-2017, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #102
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It's no good sign that the company will produce 1 FF lens per year and there are no wide-angle WR primes for K-1.
It might be a sign that is all they have capacity to design, test, quality assure, set up production for and release each year, given the size of their team, and the availability of capital. If that assumption is true then we will have to get used to a release schedule of one high quality prime lens per year, maybe two if they are doing really well.

With regard to the lens production sequencing a 50 and 85 are always going to beat out the wide angle lenses. I would like to think Pentax would take a leaf out of the Zeiss Batis book and produce an 18mm and 24 or 25mm but that might be easier said than done.

I suspect that the third DA* lens on the roadmap will be a 35mm f1.4 or perhaps a 28mm, but 35/50/85 is a classic prime group.

Time will tell.

---------- Post added 24-02-17 at 08:55 PM ----------

If the user should find manual focus lenses of 3rd party lens maker, because the company can't offer native lens for his camera, it's the sample of bad working company.
Do you understand it?
I understand it is a sign of a constrained company, rather than a bad working one.
02-24-2017, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #103

I have considered the Rokinon/Samyang MF series, but I really need AF. The Irix is too wide. I do have the Sigma 10-20mm but it is too slow and IQ is not great. I would sell a kidney for a fast DFA*20mm.
02-24-2017, 01:08 AM   #104
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

If you need AF and you are looking around 20mm then your best bet right now would be to get a FA 20mm f2.8 second hand. It is not WR.

From what I have read the DFA 15-30 has very good image quality, but it is big, heavy and expensive.

A fast DFA*20mm would be very nice, I would be a starter for one too - but I don't think we will see one any time soon.
02-24-2017, 01:09 AM - 7 Likes   #105
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On topic: I'm freakin' STOKED about the prospect of a new 85/1.4
Can't. Wait. But remember this is just point on a roadmap, so don't hold your collective breaths

Off topic:
FA*24/2 is good for me only at my K200D at f8. It will be not as good as I want at FF camera.
Yeah. It's rubbish on the K-1.

It's a bit rich to judge a lens' performance on full frame when you only have old crop cameras.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-24-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Closed Thread