Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #1141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,875
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I am so different from you guys.
Many long time users are also totally thrilled with the direction of the company. I don't need faster product releases, I can't afford what I'd like to own of what they already have out. New releases are just more stuff I can't afford.

There's the triumverate of new FF zooms, and all that excellent legacy glass.

I get really tired of all the folks who want to buy something new, just for the sake of buying something new.

One question, do all the naysayers demanding new releases own the DFA 28-105, the DFA 15-30, the DFA 24-70, the DFA + 70-200, and the DFA 150-450, the 77 ltd. the 31 ltd. the FA* 85 1.4, the DFA 100 macro?

What we have here is a bunch of hypocrites who haven't bought the best of what Pentax has to offer, complaining about them not releasing new stuff. Well folks, the money for them to produce what you want will come from you buying what they currently produce. If you aren't buying what they currently produce , you're part of the problem. You encourage them to produce more lenses by reducing their inventory of what they have. Whining on Pentax forum doesn't help even one little bit.

They haven't produced exactly what i want yet, but they've done what they had to do to compete with the big boys by releasing a full 2.8 "got everything covered" lens set.
Pentax's biggest problem with new lenses is the availability of legacy glass and many of us having a preference for it. As long as that's true, new releases are counter productive.

The people who's main thrust seems it "I want Ricoh to invest their money in producing a specific piece of glass so I can buy one can only be answered, by, "what gives you the right to decide where Ricoh should invest their money?" And followed by "how much modern Pentax glass do you own?" Have you actually made the purchases to suggest Ricoh should invest even 5 cents in what you want? Most people are asking for their to be gabs that are repeats of legacy glass that they never purchased and many of them won't purchase the new glass either. They just for some odd reason would feel better if it was there.

People seem to think their requests for new product are like money in the bank for pentad. Pentax doesn't think so. The only things that are going to impress Pentax are sales and profit. You're in or your out. You don't get to snipe from the side lines.
Well, I own the DFA 15-30, 24-70, DFA *70-200, FA 31, DA *55, FA 77, and DFA 100 macro WR. I'm not interested in telephoto lenses. Maybe a consumer 70-300 that covers full frame someday, but that's about it. I just don't shoot long lenses much at all.

I think we can be honest though and say that if you are interested in the DFA *50 or DFA *85 then suggesting that you buy the DFA 100 macro or DFA 28-105 probably isn't a real answer, even if you don't own those lenses. If you already own the FA 77 and you are wishing for better, it is a tough call to say that you have to find a copy of the FA *85 from somewhere for a pretty expensive price and no warranty. Some people (not everyone) are looking for top end primes with silent (and quick) auto focus.

I still am convinced that Pentax is going to release the new lenses soon, but it has been awhile.

10-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #1142
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28,949
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I own the DFA 15-30, 24-70, DFA *70-200, FA 31, DA *55, FA 77, and DFA 100 macro WR. I'm not interested in telephoto lenses. Maybe a consumer 70-300 that covers full frame someday, but that's about it. I just don't shoot long lenses much at all.

I think we can be honest though and say that if you are interested in the DFA *50 or DFA *85 then suggesting that you buy the DFA 100 macro or DFA 28-105 probably isn't a real answer, even if you don't own those lenses. If you already own the FA 77 and you are wishing for better, it is a tough call to say that you have to find a copy of the FA *85 from somewhere for a pretty expensive price and no warranty. Some people (not everyone) are looking for top end primes with silent (and quick) auto focus.

I still am convinced that Pentax is going to release the new lenses soon, but it has been awhile.
If only because many of us are getting tired of people whining about them not being released yet, let's hope it's sooner rather than later.
10-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #1143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 684
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I am so different from you guys.
Many long time users are also totally thrilled with the direction of the company. I don't need faster product releases, I can't afford what I'd like to own of what they already have out. New releases are just more stuff I can't afford.

There's the triumverate of new FF zooms, and all that excellent legacy glass.

I get really tired of all the folks who want to buy something new, just for the sake of buying something new.

One question, do all the naysayers demanding new releases own the DFA 28-105, the DFA 15-30, the DFA 24-70, the DFA + 70-200, and the DFA 150-450, the 77 ltd. the 31 ltd. the FA* 85 1.4, the DFA 100 macro?

What we have here is a bunch of hypocrites who haven't bought the best of what Pentax has to offer, complaining about them not releasing new stuff. Well folks, the money for them to produce what you want will come from you buying what they currently produce. If you aren't buying what they currently produce , you're part of the problem. You encourage them to produce more lenses by reducing their inventory of what they have. Whining on Pentax forum doesn't help even one little bit.

They haven't produced exactly what i want yet, but they've done what they had to do to compete with the big boys by releasing a full 2.8 "got everything covered" lens set.
Pentax's biggest problem with new lenses is the availability of legacy glass and many of us having a preference for it. As long as that's true, new releases are counter productive.

The people who's main thrust seems it "I want Ricoh to invest their money in producing a specific piece of glass so I can buy one can only be answered, by, "what gives you the right to decide where Ricoh should invest their money?" And followed by "how much modern Pentax glass do you own?" Have you actually made the purchases to suggest Ricoh should invest even 5 cents in what you want? Most people are asking for their to be gabs that are repeats of legacy glass that they never purchased and many of them won't purchase the new glass either. They just for some odd reason would feel better if it was there.

People seem to think their requests for new product are like money in the bank for pentad. Pentax doesn't think so. The only things that are going to impress Pentax are sales and profit. You're in or your out. You don't get to snipe from the side lines.
You are spot on.
Having said that I literally went back and checked the results of my LBA. I did not know I already owned all of their DA* line up (the DA*60-250 is listed for sale on PF).
I own A50, F50, D-FA50 macros and D-FA100 macro as well (Indicates LBA clearly and the 200/f4 macro a pipe-dream). Have been contemplating an FA77 for a long time but could not justify owning one having already owned the FA*85. I may create some funds for the D-FA*85 by selling the FA*85 if I find a good buyer and if it sells for the price I am expecting.
FA31 was another one that I could not justify since I own FA*24/f2 and DA35/f2.4 (the popular plastic Fantastic). I am still contemplating on consolidating the FA*24 and DA35 into an FA31.
50/1.7(s)<- yes (s) for plural are serving me so well right now that I may hold off the D-FA*50 for a longer time than I need to.

And I am not even complaining on the delays on this D-FA*85 release. I want a stellar optic at the end of the day whenever that day rises.
10-17-2017, 11:28 PM   #1144
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,593
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Just a response to someones comment, and my point is the ones for Olympus are actually a reality
Reality, apparently, is relative
As Mistral75 already said, two of those lenses were announced last year.
And the others are not officially announced yet; the difference from Pentax is, at most, an earlier release date.

10-18-2017, 02:46 AM   #1145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,875
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If only because many of us are getting tired of people whining about them not being released yet, let's hope it's sooner rather than later.
I hope so.

Even if your lens line up is complete, most camera brands release new versions of existing lenses with improved optics or focus motors. Pentax hasn't done that, although the DA * zooms are sort of begging at a minimum to have DC motors installed (and maybe take out the screw drive mechanism). The 16-50 in particular could use a refresh.

Regardless, I guess we'll learn patience if we don't learn anything else in this thread.
10-18-2017, 03:14 AM   #1146
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,955
I think a refresh would be quite expensive. A different drive would probably mean a redesign of the lens. Ricoh has given us high quality variable aperture lenses for aps-c (20-40, 16-85, 55-300plm). I think this is the road they have taken. For large aperture constant zooms you will have to rely on the old lenses or move to full frame. Maybe if Pentax survives the next five years and aps-c remains a good seller for Ricoh, then those lenses will see a refresh. But then again, Ricoh might have entered the mirrorless arena by then.
10-18-2017, 05:02 AM   #1147
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
it would be nice, but pre-70-200 da* lenses are never going to get refreshed with motor only... or to cover a ff image circle only or whatever... unless the glass can already handle 150mp sensors and perhaps a ff+ size sensor. the new * lenses are going to be much more future proof.
10-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #1148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,875
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I think a refresh would be quite expensive. A different drive would probably mean a redesign of the lens. Ricoh has given us high quality variable aperture lenses for aps-c (20-40, 16-85, 55-300plm). I think this is the road they have taken. For large aperture constant zooms you will have to rely on the old lenses or move to full frame. Maybe if Pentax survives the next five years and aps-c remains a good seller for Ricoh, then those lenses will see a refresh. But then again, Ricoh might have entered the mirrorless arena by then.
Maybe so. At the same time, I can't imagine they sell very many of the 16-50 f2.8 lenses with the negative press it has gotten over the years and refresh could rehab its image a bit. The 50-135 and 60-250 are excellent lenses optically already and it feels like with an adjustment in in lens motor they could be faster at auto focusing.

Be that as it may, it certainly is lower on the list of things for Ricoh to take care of.

10-18-2017, 12:48 PM - 2 Likes   #1149
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,293
What happens in Pentax Forum when there is no new product release is interesting. It looks like new products are an essential ingredient of photography, when there is no new product, photography phases out. And what if the current portfolio was actually covering all needs for taking photos, and what if new camera and new lenses would not bring any noticeable and enjoyable improvement over the current products? To me, it looks like when the current products are just fine and no new product is released, Pentax forum discussion end up spinning in the void. It's funny because we don't see that phenomenon in art photography website where it is even impossible to figure out which camera gear was used to take photos.
10-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #1150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,875
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What happens in Pentax Forum when there is no new product release is interesting. It looks like new products are an essential ingredient of photography, when there is no new product, photography phases out. And what if the current portfolio was actually covering all needs for taking photos, and what if new camera and new lenses would not bring any noticeable and enjoyable improvement over the current products? To me, it looks like when the current products are just fine and no new product is released, Pentax forum discussion end up spinning in the void. It's funny because we don't see that phenomenon in art photography website where it is even impossible to figure out which camera gear was used to take photos.
I actually still take photos, but honestly, I get more feedback on Flickr than I do on Pentax Forums. Doing a Single In challenge does help too. But the photography posting side of the forum definitely isn't as busy as the rumor side of the forum and when there aren't any real rumors than things are a bit slow.
10-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #1151
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 684
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What happens in Pentax Forum when there is no new product release is interesting. It looks like new products are an essential ingredient of photography, when there is no new product, photography phases out. And what if the current portfolio was actually covering all needs for taking photos, and what if new camera and new lenses would not bring any noticeable and enjoyable improvement over the current products? To me, it looks like when the current products are just fine and no new product is released, Pentax forum discussion end up spinning in the void. It's funny because we don't see that phenomenon in art photography website where it is even impossible to figure out which camera gear was used to take photos.
Isn't this a News and Rumours forum? And isn't the activity already close to what it should be?
10-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #1152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,798
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I actually still take photos, but honestly, I get more feedback on Flickr than I do on Pentax Forums. Doing a Single In challenge does help too. But the photography posting side of the forum definitely isn't as busy as the rumor side of the forum and when there aren't any real rumors than things are a bit slow.
But unlike DPR, the bulk of the posts at this site are actual pictures posted by real photographers, right?

What's not to love about that?
10-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #1153
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 76
I really want a 85mm 1.4 and a wide angle prime

Bismillah

Hey guys wish you all well. Do you think we will see any of these before the end of the year?

-Abdul Halim
10-19-2017, 12:45 AM   #1154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 2,764
QuoteOriginally posted by halimj7 Quote
Hey guys wish you all well. Do you think we will see any of these before the end of the year?
Hi - the general consensus is that there is a finite but very small chance in this calendar year for either, a slightly better chance in this financial year for the 85mm to be announced at least (plus a very small chance for a wide angle surprise) - but they will have been worth the wait when they come.
10-19-2017, 02:12 AM   #1155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,798
No release date's been announced yet or leaked, we're just guessing.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, choice, company, d-fa* 85mm f1.4, day, designers, f1.4, f2.8, ff lens, filters, future, google, lens, lenses, light, macro, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, production, quality, release, roadmap, schedule, sign, thursday, wa
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: FA* 85mm F1.4 SOLD!!! Cambo Sold Items 2 04-29-2016 01:11 PM
FA*85mm f1.4 and FA*28-70mm f2.8 on Gumtree Australia Des Pentax Price Watch 7 01-25-2016 04:27 PM
Lens Tournament: FA* 85mm F1.4 vs A* 85mm F1.4 Adam Pentax Forums Giveaways 5 10-23-2014 10:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top