Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2017, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
As i said earlier, 2017 is the year of the primes..and the future is bright (F-stop bright)

And to add to the never-ending discussion about size..I have never said its wrong if you like the small and compact stuff..Good for you..But these new badboys are needed in so many ways..Not only to meet the marked, but more important, they are made to get the best out of the amazing sensor in K-1 and future cameras So dont waste anymore energy arguing why this isnt needed because we have the good old ones...
If we stop arguing, where is the fun in this forum??

02-23-2017, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As i said earlier, 2017 is the year of the primes..and the future is bright (F-stop bright)

And to add to the never-ending discussion about size..I have never said its wrong if you like the small and compact stuff..Good for you..But these new badboys are needed in so many ways..Not only to meet the marked, but more important, they are made to get the best out of the amazing sensor in K-1 and future cameras So dont waste anymore energy arguing why this isnt needed because we have the good old ones...
It's just sad because no one does compact primes for FF if Pentax doesn't.
02-23-2017, 12:44 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
If we stop arguing, where is the fun in this forum??
Good point

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
It's just sad because no one does compact primes for FF if Pentax doesn't.
Are all the compact primes gone? I se 4-5 in my bag. New lenses needs to keep up with new sensors and technology. The small primes can't. Thats why they need to make these new big boys
02-23-2017, 12:48 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Forum Member

..Not only to meet the marked, but more important,
@Kenspo, I've agreed with everything you've said across multiple threads today, but please, friend, market is spelled with a "T."

02-23-2017, 12:52 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cesarfishman Quote
@Kenspo, I've agreed with everything you've said across multiple threads today, but please, friend, market is spelled with a "T."

Hehe..i should now better thanx mate! MARKET!!!!
02-23-2017, 12:59 AM - 4 Likes   #21
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

New lenses needs to keep up with new sensors and technology. The small primes can't. Thats why they need to make these new big boys
Not so very long ago when everyone used film Asahi Pentax lenses were considered right up with the very best in the world. Asahi Pentax, Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Fuji were making top flight lenses that were regularly compared for quality.

I am in agreement with Kenspo that if Pentax are to stay in the game, and win hearts and minds, then the quality of the glass needs to recapture that former position. DFA* lenses, particularly the primes, should be aiming for that. So that when photographers compare they will know that Pentax lenses are right up with the best on the market.

To achieve that for modern sensors - and to future proof for 100MP plus sensors the design, glass, and build quality will need to be right up there.

That means big, heavy and for amateurs expensive. For professionals - not so much as there are depreciation and other tax advantages, and it is a tool to earn income with.

The reality is - professional fast glass has always been like that.

It is very good news that Pentax is reaching into this market again, and bodes very well for the future of the company.
02-23-2017, 01:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
to future proof for 100MP plus sensors
You are scaring me ...

Probably accurate though. In five years time we will all laugh at 36MP sensors as a primitive technology joke.

02-23-2017, 01:09 AM   #23

Really amazed from this roadmap. If that wide is REALLY wide (like 12 laowa or 11 irix), and they will make a serious 135, i will buy a container of k1
02-23-2017, 01:21 AM - 2 Likes   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
All is good in the world of Pentax with the announcement of these fine primes.

P.S. Seem to be missing an aperture ring mind.
02-23-2017, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #25
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
P.S. Seem to be missing an aperture ring mind.
I had the same thought - they are unlikely to work well on my LX. You win some, you lose some
02-23-2017, 01:39 AM   #26
Forum Member

There's a chance that new * lenses will feature KAF4 mount which means they will be useless on pre-K3 cameras anyway.
02-23-2017, 01:40 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I had the same thought - they are unlikely to work well on my LX. You win some, you lose some
But just think how many Second Hand A* and FA* 85's will surface to meet your LX needs
02-23-2017, 01:42 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
There's a chance that new * lenses will feature KAF4 mount which means they will be useless on pre-K3 cameras anyway.
agree...
02-23-2017, 01:43 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
Most likely yes
02-23-2017, 01:50 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Hmm, I'm a bit concerned.
When buying the K-1, I also decided to not buy more second hand lenses. I have the A* 85mm, and had been thinking of getting the FA* 85. And so I changed my mind and will only buy another lens if it's weather sealed and optimized for the digital sensor.
Handling the 150–450 mm, and seeing the new D-FA* 50mm I'm a bit concerned. Small and light have always been the Pentax speciality. That's why I chose the brand in the eighties, and that has been a reason to stay.
I'm not going to jump, but maybe I'll settle with what I've got or maybe look for the FA Limited trio if the new 50mm and 85mm points in a new design philosophy at Pentax' laboratory.
Closed Thread