Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Oh boy my pocket book might be getting lighter again... Might have to consider this to cover my 55mm to 300mm prime gap once it is out. If it sails too much past the 1K price point I will look elsewhere one of the last focal ranges with a prime I want to cover on my crop K3II and upcoming KP. Likely have plenty of time to save up, this is Ricoh/Pentax maybe will be ready for later part of this year?

02-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
... hmmmm ... your "Yes" is for which question exactly?
Precisely!

(If I'd stop trying to be funny, I'd say that both cases can happen, IMO)
02-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
... hmmmm ... your "Yes" is for which question exactly?
Both. :-)
02-23-2017, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
Anything in that range would be nice, but I honestly cant see them putting out anything but a D-FA or D-FA* 35mm 1.4 at this point.
I tend to agree with you. To me it's looking as if they're planning to launch another holy trinity: the D-FA* 85mm/50mm/35mm F1.4 series. Highly durable and optically in the same region as Zeiss and Leica. Why not?

02-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
If we stop arguing, where is the fun in this forum??
The fun is in the "why I wont buy ..." threads.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Small & light, big & sharp, your K-1 will be great for whichever lens philosophy you go for.
You don't need big to get sharp. Small+light+sharp can be accomplished, but without an f1.4 aperture. My DFA 100 2.8 macro and Samyang 14 2.8 are reasonably small and light considering their focal lengths, and very sharp. Ricoh might have abandoned small for new lenses under the assumption that those who prioritize small will be going to m43 mirrorless bodies. No matter how compact the lens is, the K-1 remains the same size.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And why would you want a new (more expensive) version of the 3 amigos, when the old ones still do what they always did?
I'd like weather sealing, which might be doable without a major rework. Silent focus and less CA, though, require mechanical and optical changes that go beyond what can be done with a simple HD-like update.
02-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Come on, news is out. FA* 31, 43, 77 stays in place. The new D-FA* line will be f/1.4, 50 and 85 are about to be released, it will be straight forward to guess the next lenses.
Pentax presents new lenses with large aperture. Sounds like a plan for the next 1-2 years. They will show a couple primes soon and I hope people are buying. The 85 is a save buy for me. A 1.4/35 as well. Keep buying the news stuff and more lenses will appear. f/1.4 is a strong move into the right direction. I hope Pentax can somehow support small primes as well for a longer time and present some for FF.
02-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #67
Pentaxian

I hope that Pentax produces more compact prime lenses for FF that are small enough to be useful for the cropped sensor cameras as well. I think they would be popular with many FF shooters. I do not think that these new compact lenses are as important right now as the fast primes like these new ones. If they made all the lenses that everyone wants right now what will everyone be asking for next year?

One question that I have is would the lens designers working on new lenses be the same as those redesigning existing lenses? If not we could be in for some surprises as far as smaller lenses without taking away from the bigger needs of lenses for the pros.

02-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Let's start guessing about the price in USD of that 85 f1.4.

At B&H 'competitors' go from $259 for the [manual focus] Samyang 85 f1.4 to the [manual focus] Zeiss Otus 85 f1.4 for $4,490.

The AF Sigma is $1,199, and the AF Nikon is $1597. I expect the Pentax lens will be closer to the Nikon price than the Sigma price.
$1599 would be my guess. Nikon design cannot keep up with current Sigma and we can assume that Pentax checked out all 85 designs on the market to present a modern 85 as well. And Pentax is not a third party manufacturer. Face it, this will be a serious lens. Samyang is not a competitor. The 2.8/70-200 also sold for serious money and price only came dowen after some time and is still not where some people would love it. Good glass costs good money and Pentax is correct in asking money for their products.
Some people here should clap and cheer as such a price will keep the price for a used FA* 85 high.
02-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I currently have the Rokinon 85mm f1.4. I imagine this will do better at large apertures. Man, focusing this thing at portrait length on a FF is going to be "fun". :P
02-23-2017, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #70
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That's great and all.. except for storage. I'm not so sure I want 100MP or even 77MP files. More processing overhead and a ton more storage overhead. We all need to buy stock in storage drive manufacturers.
Moores Law takes care of that - when I started work in the early 1980's we had an IBM PC with twin 360K floppy drives. A few years later we moved up to an IBM AT with a 20MB hard drive, which was considered huge at the time. Now 20MB is less than a single RAW image off my K-3.

Now multi GB drives are quite normal, in a few years it will be multi TB drives and so it will continue for both storage and processing power.

That issue will be the least of our concerns.
02-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will people buying the D-FA* 85/1.4 be the same as those who are using "any" 85/1.4 on APS-C ?
Or will it be "just" for those using a K-1 (FF) for instance?
I mean, many here are using an 85/1.4 on APS-C, so will this lens likely to be used by both APS-C and FF users?
02-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I currently have the Rokinon 85mm f1.4. I imagine this will do better at large apertures. Man, focusing this thing at portrait length on a FF is going to be "fun". :P
Truth. I also have the Samyang/Rokinon 85. Although I do like the lens a lot, accurate focus in the field - eg in the poor light of music venues - with such shallow DOF is a big challenge at the best of times, and FF won't help. Let's hope Pentax makes the lens a very bright one, with a good, fast, quiet AF motor too.
02-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Anything wider than about 15mm in the 35mm format is getting quite specialized in my opinion.
Indeed. So they may likely re badge someones.
02-23-2017, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Veteran Member

Don't forget there are 4! new lens presentations on Ricoh's schedule. 50/1.4 was unveiled on Thursday, +one lens each following day (hopefully they're not repeats of Thursday)
P?eklada? Google

---------- Post added 02-23-2017 at 01:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Don't forget there are 4! new lens presentations on Ricoh's schedule. 50/1.4 was unveiled on Thursday, +one lens each following day (hopefully they're not repeats of Thursday)
P?eklada? Google
just looking at the schedule and they are most likely repeats, everything is repeating there... looks like no more surprises
02-23-2017, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
Anything in that range would be nice, but I honestly cant see them putting out anything but a D-FA or D-FA* 35mm 1.4 at this point.
Agreed, a DFA* 35mm f1.4 is what I'm hoping for(and needed), don't like the Sigma 35 f1.4 Art for its rendering and its high tendency to miss focus. That said a 28mm f1.8/1.4 and 24mm f1.4 would be good too.
Closed Thread