Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 01:16 AM   #106
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yeah. It's rubbish on the K-1.
Clearly it is, can I take it off your hands for a few dollars while it is still worth something

A little more seriously - I see in your signature you have the DFA 15-30, FA20 and FA*24. How do you rate them in terms of image quality on the K-1?

02-24-2017, 01:28 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
A little more seriously - I see in your signature you have the DFA 15-30, FA20 and FA*24. How do you rate them in terms of image quality on the K-1?
They are all very good. The DFA15-30 is actually sharper at the edges and more rectilinear at 24mm than the FA*24, and has less lateral CA. It really is very impressive (but big and heavy).

The DFA24-70 at 24mm has more barrel distortion than the FA*24, but like is wider brother it out-performs the FA*24 for sharpness and CA.

The FA20 is a wonderful lens. So tiny! The six point starbursts are really neat.

This thread is about the DFA*85, so I won't clutter it with more off-topic images. Have a look in my Flickr photostream for examples - I'm using the FA*24 as my "Single In Challenge" lens this month, and have made a few comparative shots with the modern zooms for interest's sake.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-13-2017 at 01:43 PM.
02-24-2017, 01:32 AM   #108
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

On topic: I'm freakin' STOKED about the prospect of a new 85/1.4
Can't. Wait. But remember this is just point on a roadmap, so don't hold your collective breaths
That is me too

---------- Post added 24-02-17 at 09:32 PM ----------

This thread is about the DFA*85, so I won't clutter it with more off-topic images. Have a look in my Flickr photostream for examples - I'm using the FA*24 as my "Single In Challenge" lens this month, and have made a few comparative shots with the modern zooms for interest's sake.
Cheers, thanks for the info - it is a useful reference point for me.
02-24-2017, 01:39 AM - 2 Likes   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some might say, Pentax is slow to roll out new lenses to the market, “I think” it is more of a $$$ problem. Remember, they are not a big company [any more].
Ricoh might give Pentax XXX Yen, Pentax has to manage its resource and at the same time produce enough profit back to Ricoh. If Pentax can make more $$$, Ricoh will cut a bigger piece of cake for Pentax, etc.

And why they go for 50 and 85 mm rather than do Wide-angle lenses first. It could be their Market research which points to that direction. I am sure they have many reasons behind it. They are not randomly investing time and limit resource developing a lens no one wants.

I would say, give Pentax time. We all know they are not a big company with tons of money to throw at development teams. And I think, Pentax knows most people can’t wait has already jump the ship. So they are taking their time too

02-24-2017, 01:53 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Christmas ? It's February now... If they produce just one new lens for FF per year, I'm afraid we will see new wide-angle primes only in 2020.

FF wide-angle range of Pentax system is empty.
DFA15-30 and it's all. Not a lot of users want to buy such expensive and big lens, and not prime.
How do they think to attract new user to FF system?
Slow but steady growth is one answer to your question and, I presume, the goal Ricoh Imaging are pursuing. Growth in sales --> in operating income --> in free cash flows --> in R&D capacity --> in the frequency of product launch --> in sales and so on.

Remember they are on a diet: no money from Mummy! (apart from the initial cash injections that were part of the take-over plan)
02-24-2017, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Slow but steady growth is one answer to your question and, I presume, the goal Ricoh Imaging are pursuing. Growth in sales --> in operating income --> in free cash flows --> in R&D capacity --> in the frequency of product launch --> in sales and so on.

Remember they are on a diet: no money from Mummy! (apart from the initial cash injections that were part of the take-over plan)
It'll certainly take financial pressure off us Pentaxian's too. One lens a year might be doable. Imagine being faced with a whole bunch of primes all at once? Need money for food.
02-24-2017, 02:26 AM - 4 Likes   #112
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Need money for food.
Most of eat too much. It might do us some good

02-24-2017, 02:38 AM   #113
Banned

This 85mm lens is for summer 2018, so don't get to excited. That means if Ricoh is still in the camera business by that time.
02-24-2017, 02:46 AM - 3 Likes   #114
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This 85mm lens is for summer 2018, so don't get to excited. That means if Ricoh is still in the camera business by that time.
Briefly back from my boriscleto list. No longer.
02-24-2017, 03:34 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Nope,only on paper.
The 50 is currently in production for a little preseries and will go in full production next time.
You can make you a nice Christmas present.
The 85 is still in prototype condition.
With very much luck we will see it as preseries end of this year.
Maybe faster,but no more real information this time.
But it's a complete new optical construction,like the new 50.
More glass inside,more lens elements,much more quality than every 50 and 85 in Pentax history.
Same optical grade like the *2.8 70-200.
Newest glass types and coatings.
The bigger sizes are the results of the higher quality to be in the line with the current sensors and with the future.
Best regards
Watt about the hinted DFA*24-105/4 surfaced in the talks a few weeks ago? Why not in the new roadmap? Has it ben left out on purpose, or simply it was a false rumor?
02-24-2017, 03:39 AM   #116

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Nope,only on paper.
The 50 is currently in production for a little preseries and will go in full production next time.
You can make you a nice Christmas present.
The 85 is still in prototype condition.
With very much luck we will see it as preseries end of this year.
Maybe faster,but no more real information this time.
But it's a complete new optical construction,like the new 50.
More glass inside,more lens elements,much more quality than every 50 and 85 in Pentax history.
Same optical grade like the *2.8 70-200.
Newest glass types and coatings.
The bigger sizes are the results of the higher quality to be in the line with the current sensors and with the future.
Best regards
I guess they are testing DFA 50 1/4 first,
how many will buy and then if the respond is good then they will speed up the other production.
So, all in all, it depends on pentaxians themselves.
02-24-2017, 03:57 AM - 4 Likes   #117
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The roadmap is not a contract.
Nothing we say here will change what Pentax releases, or when.
Relax. Be happy with what you have for now. Wait.
02-24-2017, 03:58 AM   #118
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
New lenses needs to keep up with new sensors and technology.
I have no argument with this concept, but it makes me wonder: what is it about, for example, the 77mm Limited that disqualifies it? Are we saying that up to now Pentax has been compromising in lens quality for the sake of size?
02-24-2017, 04:01 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I have no argument with this concept, but it makes me wonder: what is it about, for example, the 77mm Limited that disqualifies it? Are we saying that up to now Pentax has been compromising in lens quality for the sake of size?
New technology in glass...coating etc 77 is fine..but it doesn't get the best out of the new digital sensors and its awfully slow in AF

---------- Post added 02-24-17 at 12:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Watt about the hinted DFA*24-105/4 surfaced in the talks a few weeks ago? Why not in the new roadmap? Has it ben left out on purpose, or simply it was a false rumor?
As stated on the roadmap from 2016: *Roadmap might change without notice

So..that should answer your question.
02-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #120
Pentaxian

Who hinted at a DFA* 24-105/4?
Closed Thread