QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Who hinted at a DFA* 24-105/4?
Good question

02-24-2017, 04:08 AM - 3 Likes   #122
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Are we saying that up to now Pentax has been compromising in lens quality for the sake of size?
YES!!!!

Every lens is a compromise. The new lenses are compromising on compactness to be uncompromising on wide open, wall-to-wall sharpness. The older lenses made different compromises for different objectives. I can respect them all.

We can't have too much choice.
02-24-2017, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Christmas ? It's February now... If they produce just one new lens for FF per year, I'm afraid we will see new wide-angle primes only in 2020.

FF wide-angle range of Pentax system is empty.
DFA15-30 and it's all. Not a lot of users want to buy such expensive and big lens, and not prime.
How do they think to attract new user to FF system?
It didn't sound like you even wanted these lenses, ogl. I wouldn't complain at this point.

That said, wait till the end of the year to see what Pentax has actually released. My guess is that there will be more than just one lens released by the end of the year. 3 to 4 lenses really seems to be their max right now and it depends on the quality marks they are shooting for. If they were just releasing a couple of consumer level zooms for APS-C it probably wouldn't be a big deal, but they want to make a big splash with these lenses and have nothing go wrong and so they are taking their time. Probably better that than having SDM disasters or decentering issues or some other problem that tarnishes what should be a set of well reviewed lenses.
02-24-2017, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #124
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^What Rondec said.

These lenses have to be AWESOME. We waited a long time for the K-1 and DFA*70-200, and most would agree it was worth it.

02-24-2017, 04:24 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
^What Rondec said.

These lenses have to be AWESOME. We waited a long time for the K-1 and DFA*70-200, and most would agree it was worth it.
50 and 85 (and the other coming ones) will be made with same tech as the 70-200 and its all Pentax made
02-24-2017, 04:27 AM - 2 Likes   #126
Banned

QuoteQuote:
This 85mm lens is for summer 2018, so don't get to excited. That means if Ricoh is still in the camera business by that time.
QuoteQuote:
FF wide-angle range of Pentax system is empty.
DFA15-30 and it's all. Not a lot of users want to buy such expensive and big lens, and not prime.
How do they think to attract new user to FF system?
It seems, all designs are a pain for some companies, and no pain at all for others?
So, Ricoh Imaging, it seems when reading these posts, is at pains to deliver anything of their own — they can only deliver if Tamron does all the work for them? On top of that, they can heroically deliver 'relatively easy' 50mm, but are at pains at 35mm or 24mm? Tough stuff!

Statements in this thread make zero sense. Who on earth you think those engineers are? Half-brained nitwits?

Ricoh has designs for FF lenses for years now, they have normal lens designs, macro and zoom lens designs all patented. It is not that they 'need to go to school' and learn how to make a lens. I can't believe these posts!

If they delay releases, it may for all sorts of reasons. But then, who even says they are delayed? Do you guys decide that and based on what?! It is simply stupefying to always think of one reason only for anything that is at odds with your projections and wild desires, and repeat it all over the forum. And on top of that, constructed are totally speculative new timeframes of release, that have zero confirmation — it is just pure and distorted imagination of authors of such posts. I read in disbelief these posts and ask myself where on earth these guys are getting all that?

We indeed live in the age of fake news, and, o boy, you fabricate it 24/7. If you do not know the real information, if all you can do around Forum is manufacture useless information, false timeframes and spread it without second thought, can you guys just stop for a moment, and, say, I don't know ... enrol etching classes? It would be better for all.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-24-2017 at 04:39 AM.
02-24-2017, 04:29 AM   #127
bxf
Veteran Member

Every lens is a compromise.
OK, sure. But still, some of these compromised lenses have been producing some wonderful results, according to legend

02-24-2017, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #128
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, sure. But still, some of these compromised lenses have been producing some wonderful results, according to legend
It may shock you, but I am aware of that. Choose your compromise; they're all good in PentaxLand
02-24-2017, 04:39 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
More glass inside,more lens elements,much more quality than every 50 and 85 in Pentax history.
since many people regard some of the previous 85mm iterations as sharp enough to cut yourself on, this is sounding very interesting
02-24-2017, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #130
Veteran Member

I have no argument with this concept, but it makes me wonder: what is it about, for example, the 77mm Limited that disqualifies it? Are we saying that up to now Pentax has been compromising in lens quality for the sake of size?
A FF camera with SR needs a bigger image circle than film. Digital sensors are also more prone to CA than film. The 77mm is sharp in the centre wide open but not corners. Also to attract pros from other brands you need to at least match what they are using. F1.4 and in lens motors are standard. WR is just a bonus.
As for taking exceptional photos the 77mm is still a fantastic tool. But if Ricoh want to compete they have to compete! Fortunately a 24/35/50/85 set of f1.4 DFA* heavy weights leaves space for the fantastic 31/43/77 and 100macro light weight lenses.
02-24-2017, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #131
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
50 and 85 (and the other coming ones) will be made with same tech as the 70-200 and its all Pentax made
This makes me think i will wait for the new DFA and ponny for it, instead of getting a FA*85

a good way to support Pentax
02-24-2017, 05:18 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Also to attract pros from other brands you need to at least match what they are using. F1.4 and in lens motors are standard. WR is just a bonus..
Thank you! What i've been trying to explain people

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
This makes me think i will wait for the new DFA and ponny for it, instead of getting a FA*85

a good way to support Pentax
Sure is mate
02-24-2017, 05:19 AM   #133
ogl
Banned

On topic: I'm freakin' STOKED about the prospect of a new 85/1.4
Can't. Wait. But remember this is just point on a roadmap, so don't hold your collective breaths

Off topic:

Yeah. It's rubbish on the K-1.
I had this lens for many years, man. Your photos says nothing and I have a lot of my own photos. The resolution of this lens at the edges is rather lower and just good at f8.

Last edited by ogl; 02-24-2017 at 07:54 AM.
02-24-2017, 05:57 AM - 3 Likes   #134

I'll be the market for the new lenses for sure, after tasting the sweetness of the Pentax 70-200mm f2.8 & Sigma 35mm f1.4 on the K-1, whoever releases their equivalent 50mm f1.4 & 85mm f1.4 lenses first will be getting my hard earned photojournalist money. These lenses are staples of any working pro in the journalism field, and for Pentax to be taken seriously by newcomers, they'll need to have these lenses available, whether they're in Sigma or Pentax guise. If not, people will simply overlook the K-1 because of the lack of new optimized lenses.

Thats not to say that in the future that new DFA Limited lenses shouldn't be released, but currently the major gaps in the FF lineup are in the form of wide angle primes, fast prime lenses and competitive telephoto lenses outside of the DFA* 70-200mm and DFA 150-450mm; lenses in the vein of 20mm f2, 24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4, 85mm 1.4, 300mm f2.8 & 500mm f4 are really what stops people from slowly trickling over into our side of the pond.

For people who are interested in smaller prime lenses with above average quality, the DFA 28-105mm, along with the 31mm, 43mm, 77mm & 100mm Macro lenses are already on the shelves, and people interested in these sort of lenses are already moving into the K-mount ecosystem with the release of the K-1, and for the more budget capped users, there are the FA 35mm f2, FA 50mm 1.4 and DFA 50mm 2.8 Macro also available for purchase new from any of the major stores, along with a multitude of discontinued lenses for those who don't mind doing more research.

If you look at it in this way, the current lenses are not in dire need of replacement, whereas new lenses optimized for pro level users ARE, considering there are non currently in production that will entice pros to the K-mount system. Just my two cents.

---------- Post added 02-24-17 at 10:37 PM ----------

Another thing worth mentioning is that when Ricoh announced that it was developing a FF camera, they did state that it was a camera for Pentaxians. That time is now over, they have fulfilled that statement by releasing the K-1 at an obtainable price point, and now have their sights set on pros growing disillusioned with Canon and Nikon. Whilst in the minority, there are some people looking for alternatives, and with both Sony and Ricoh fielding highly competitive FF cameras, it only makes sense for them to release high end glass (Pentax: DFA* 70-200mm f2.8, DFA* 50mm f1.4, DFA* 85mm f1.4) (Sony: 24-70mm f2.8 GM, Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM, Sony 85mm f1.4 GM, Sony 100mm f2.8 GM) to lure people into the system, while still providing other lines of lenses (Limited, G, etc) in order to differentiate themselves from the big two.
02-24-2017, 06:21 AM - 3 Likes   #135
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This 85mm lens is for summer 2018, so don't get to excited. That means if Ricoh is still in the camera business by that time.
Nice trolling- back to form, Ron!

Will you have started taking pictures again by then, or is it all still too painful watching everyone else have a great time?

Last edited by clackers; 02-24-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Closed Thread