Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2017, 01:48 AM   #556
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Actually, they could as well be "...ary" . Year end is on March 30th at Ricoh's.
So it could be '..ch' as well, then.

07-18-2017, 01:57 AM   #557
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
So it could be '..ch' as well, then.
Yes, of course, particularly since CP+ 2018 takes place from Thursday the 1st of March to Sunday the 4th and Ricoh Imaging use to make announcements on Thursdays.
07-19-2017, 03:50 AM   #558

Photos: Albums
I also suspect that and therefore I'll purchase the samyang.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Let's start guessing about the price in USD of that 85 f1.4.

At B&H 'competitors' go from $259 for the [manual focus] Samyang 85 f1.4 to the [manual focus] Zeiss Otus 85 f1.4 for $4,490.

The AF Sigma is $1,199, and the AF Nikon is $1597. I expect the Pentax lens will be closer to the Nikon price than the Sigma price.
07-19-2017, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ESSERRE Quote
I also suspect that and therefore I'll purchase the samyang.
Cant be compared! But if the Samyang suits your needs, go for it!

08-12-2017, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #560

FTF: I think a 85mm should wait a bit, until other improvements are made.
I work with a Sigma 85mm 1.4 DG HSM lens, and i am satisfied. very satisfied.
the FA 77mm LTD. is also an excellent portrait tele and already available.

thing in Pentaxland still is the AF... that is where improvement should go. afterwards OK.

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I totally agree, to the last word, but maybe you didn't get my point.
Of course professionals would go for industry standards,....Let's forget them.
It seems you may forgot that some professionals still use Pentax and would give a dime or the other for having a "foot in the door" at sports etc.

Furthermore, it seems, you are also falsely assuming, that you are part of a big hive that builds nearly 100% of the PENTAX-userbase, and that they are all amateurs...
this is as wrong as can get, sorry to disappoint you.

Lots of professional photographers that use 645Z for instance would really love to see something worthy and fast to invest into in the FF world, because they like the build quality and "handling feel" of their 645ers and assume it with the brand.
A Mamiya photographer i know, said that even the build quality of a good APS-C Pentax feels better in hands, than a new hasselblad...(compared to what they charge)... and hes not the only one and that means something, and i stand to my oppinion, that Ricoh would drop a big chance, if they would go on as usual with the AF in its new flagship. The Autofocus really needs improvement!
There has to be a big bang with an APS-C that brings improvements in its AF System, that makes users of other brands(except Sony i guess) go "WOW" and keep their mouths wide open.
PLUS 2 capable zooms, that can hold on to the speed of the cameras AF and then the brand is back. PERIOD.

I guess only a handful of (professional!!) 645ers have their eyes on a K-1 (which is more of a studio DSLR than anything else in the K-mount lineup) because they already own a 645 and evidently, looking at its Autofocus-System the K-1(despite its sealings) is more tied to the studio, than it is to the wild side.

The market is there, and those features are also very welcome in the world of amateurs
(even if you feel like the amateur of amateurs you are not entitled to speak for every other amateur - i know i am doing nearly the same here, but man do we miss counterpunchs to opportunism on PF)

I feel, what PENTAX really would need, would be a competitive camera, like the K-5II was at its time(very competitive to the Canon 7D)
but competitive to nowadays touchstones. -- A6500, Nikon D500, Panasonic GH5, Olympus OM-D EM-1 Mark II

So if any Rep reads this, I want you to know, that I personally think, that it would be worth the risk investing big, because if you want to succeed you will have to deliver something that is outstanding compared to other makers products... (especially, when there are smartphones that could easily beat an ILC - if they could have interchangeable optics and bigger sensors.)
You saw that risky ideas work out --> the Theta... and you will see that it will work if you take a risk in the ILC market.

...and: take a heart. do some marketing. it will succeed if the product advertised means a change or brings big features, that others cant hold up to.
08-15-2017, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #561
Pentaxian

Canon has almost presented their 85 mm lens, Sigma Art is out for a couple months now; time for Pentax to deliver or shut up. Showing mockups and a year ahead of release will not increase sales. Canon lens should have IS.

I hope we don't have to wait for the next 85 mm to arrive as well.
08-16-2017, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
time for Pentax to deliver or shut up.
Shut up???? LOL They are not saying anything. The only people saying anything are complaining rumor mongers. Pentax will release when they are ready. Or never release, who knows.

08-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #563
ogl
Banned

No Photokina this year....But September was the time to announce any gear before...No rumors, no real info. Silence.
08-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #564
Pentaxian

We do have real information, though.
08-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #565
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax version was announced with a mockup for two reasons, I suppose: 1) test the market and 2) make people wait instead of buying into alternative brands, that can work for sometime but not for more than a year. Basically, if you need a lens for a special occasion, you don't wait , you buy the one available and that's a sale lost for Ricoh Imaging. If you buy Samyang version, Ricoh Imaging doesn't miss the sale because you'll likely resell the Samyang and get the Pentax AF version optically better and with AF. Now, if you get a Sigma, you may never buy the Pentax version, that's a lost sale for .... a long time. Also depends on how much you are contaminated by the LBA virus.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-16-2017 at 11:24 AM.
08-16-2017, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #566
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The Pentax version was announced with a mockup for two reasons, I suppose: 1) test the market and 2) make people wait instead of buying into alternative brands, that can work for sometime but not for more than a year. Basically, if you need a lens for a special occasion, you don't wait , you buy the one available and that's a sale lost for Ricoh Imaging. If you buy Samyang version, Ricoh Imaging doesn't miss the sale because you'll likely resell the Samyang and get the Pentax AF version optically better and with AF. Now, if you get a Sigma, you may never buy the Pentax version, that's a lost sale for .... a long time. Also depends on how much you are contaminated by the LBA virus.
Didn't Einstein once say that the difference between LBA and genius is that genius has limits?

Edit: Sorry the butchered quote is actually from Alexandre Dumas, fils.
08-16-2017, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #567
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
the difference between LBA and genius is that genius has limits?
While LBA can't be cured, with a bit of practice, it can be managed. If Ricoh marketers are doing their best at teasing the sensible LBA nerves of the average Pentaxian by means of letting some DFA*Star prime smell of pixie dust escape the secret Pentax pot, an intravenous injection of Samy potion can relief the LBA urge for a short while. However, if the LBA symptoms persist after the Samy injection, go visit your GP for a better advice.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-16-2017 at 12:24 PM.
08-16-2017, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #568

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Canon has almost presented their 85 mm lens, Sigma Art is out for a couple months now; time for Pentax to deliver or shut up. Showing mockups and a year ahead of release will not increase sales. Canon lens should have IS.

I hope we don't have to wait for the next 85 mm to arrive as well.
Totally agree. Note that Canon hasn't actually made any corporate statements on their lens. It's just been rumors that have been leaked. Whereas Pentax put this on an official road map, shown at a photoexhibition.

I'd also be shocked if the 50mm lands before 2018. I love how people are now doing mental gymnastics to convince themselves that Pentax meant the financial year.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Shut up???? LOL They are not saying anything. The only people saying anything are complaining rumor mongers. Pentax will release when they are ready. Or never release, who knows.
Pentax has put it on their roadmap. This is way different from Canon rumors of a new 85mm. If a company puts it out there that they're doing something, the expectations are far higher.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Sigma doesn't even make their old 85mm anymore, and their new 85mm is not made for Pentax. Pretty much the only new lens is Samyang, and their quality is a level below the first party lenses/Sigma. I think their mockup (along with the "announcement" of the 50mm) was more to persuade people who are in and considering the system from jumping ship. Because they are sorely lacking in high quality, modern primes at the 24mm, 50mm, and 85mm focal lengths.
08-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #569
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twomonger Quote
Pentax has put it on their roadmap. This is way different from Canon rumors of a new 85mm. If a company puts it out there that they're doing something, the expectations are far higher.
Not really. The fine print says maybe someday and subject to change. Pentax has had a lens road map for a long time, use it as a guide rather than anything definite because it can and will change. I admire them for even publishing it because as soon as they miss some implied deadline they get blasted by people who think it is some sort of release schedule. It is not, just a guide to things they are working on that might someday see the light of day. Or Not.

Last edited by jatrax; 08-16-2017 at 07:44 PM.
08-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #570
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twomonger Quote
I'd also be shocked if the 50mm lands before 2018. I love how people are now doing mental gymnastics to convince themselves that Pentax meant the financial year.
Actually, we were told that by Ricoh Imaging, in the CP+ interview.
Closed Thread