Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2017, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #691
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Between 2003 and 2016, they released what? a dozen or so lenses for APS-C, how long do you expect them to take to release lenses for full frame?
Since Ricoh has only owned the brand since 2011, I can't honestly expect them to account for the years before then. But if you're going to launch a new system, you better be ready to back it with a serious lineup of fresh lenses. They gave us the standard f/2.8 zooms at launch.. great. However, they should have followed up the very next year with a prime of some sort.. if not a couple primes. Which should have been in development years ago...

I get the impression they decided to launch the K-1 only a year or so before it actually did at which point they seemed surprised it was selling so well... only then do I think they realized they needed more lenses. So I think there was a delay (due to being TOO fiscally conservative) where, if they had played it correctly, there would not have been.. at least my impression.

So, to answer your question, I'm guessing by sometime maybe around 2019 or 2020 we'll see most of the lenses on the D-FA roadmap today realized...

09-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #692
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Between 2003 and 2016, they released what? a dozen or so lenses for APS-C
AND 8 dfa lenses for FF...3 macro primes and 5 zooms.

The zooms do pretty well and the 100 macro has a very good reputation.

I dont pay much attention to MF, but i'm sure there were some lenses released for those cameras as well.
09-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #693
Pentaxian

Between 2003 and 2016, they released what? a dozen or so lenses for APS-C, how long do you expect them to take to release lenses for full frame?
49 K-mount lens announcements, including kit lens variations and HD Limiteds and the few Tamron rebadges.

---------- Post added 10-09-17 at 07:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Since Ricoh has only owned the brand since 2011, I can't honestly expect them to account for the years before then. But if you're going to launch a new system, you better be ready to back it with a serious lineup of fresh lenses. They gave us the standard f/2.8 zooms at launch.. great. However, they should have followed up the very next year with a prime of some sort.. if not a couple primes. Which should have been in development years ago...
But if you can't do that, is it better to postpone everything (losing the sales) or to launch only with essential lenses?
09-10-2017, 12:13 AM   #694
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well, the Pentax Rumours site hasn't folded - that has to be an encouraging sign, doesn't it ?

09-10-2017, 02:14 AM   #695

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Go get the Sigma if you need a 85mm. No release date so far. Can be this year, next year. Who knows.
you got mail...
09-10-2017, 02:39 AM   #696
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
AND 8 dfa lenses for FF...3 macro primes and 5 zooms.

The zooms do pretty well and the 100 macro has a very good reputation.

I dont pay much attention to MF, but i'm sure there were some lenses released for those cameras as well.
09-10-2017, 02:40 AM   #697
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
you got mail...
At some point, we have to be honest : We know a 85mm is in preparation, but we have no clues when it will be out. If the guy need a 85mm, like now, either he can get the FA* or the Sigma. He expressed he want the Sig, so go get the Sig. Otherwise, he will probably complain, and say Ricoh is a bad brand blah blah blah ... Hence my advise, don't wait for something that can come tomorrow, next week, month, year.

09-10-2017, 03:01 AM   #698
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
At some point, we have to be honest : We know a 85mm is in preparation, but we have no clues when it will be out. If the guy need a 85mm, like now, either he can get the FA* or the Sigma. He expressed he want the Sig, so go get the Sig. Otherwise, he will probably complain, and say Ricoh is a bad brand blah blah blah ... Hence my advise, don't wait for something that can come tomorrow, next week, month, year.
Well, there are a number of options to "make do" with till the DFA primes come out -- the FA 77, Sigma 85 and Samyang 85 are all options of varying prices and availability. Personally, I am shooting with the FA 77 and other than purple fringing, it has been very satisfactory on full frame. But, as you say, new glass will come when it comes and I wouldn't expect the DFA *85 before next year, even though we would like to have seen it yesterday.
09-16-2017, 05:16 AM - 2 Likes   #699
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, there are a number of options to "make do" with till the DFA primes come out -- the FA 77, Sigma 85 and Samyang 85 are all options of varying prices and availability. Personally, I am shooting with the FA 77 and other than purple fringing, it has been very satisfactory on full frame. But, as you say, new glass will come when it comes and I wouldn't expect the DFA *85 before next year, even though we would like to have seen it yesterday.
New camera-system require new glass. Digital fullframe is new for Pentax. "make-do" time is over very soon.
Pentax is not the only manufacturer in the FF market and the old lens design will not do the trick. It makes sense to talk about new glass as Pentax is not replacing older glass, but as times goes by, we see more and more offers elsewhere, including image stabilization and performance advanatges that Pentax does not have these days. Whatever is coming should be just perfect - not just big and bright.
09-16-2017, 05:21 AM - 2 Likes   #700
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
New camera-system require new glass. Digital fullframe is new for Pentax. "make-do" time is over very soon.
Pentax is not the only manufacturer in the FF market and the old lens design will not do the trick. It makes sense to talk about new glass as Pentax is not replacing older glass, but as times goes by, we see more and more offers elsewhere, including image stabilization and performance advanatges that Pentax does not have these days. Whatever is coming should be just perfect - not just big and bright.
There are no perfect lenses. There are only compromises. My expectation is that the coming lenses will be big, large aperture lenses with edge to edge sharpness. They will also be expensive. Will they be better than, say, the FA 77 limited? It depends on what you want. They certainly will have better edge sharpness, if that is the judge of a good lens, and less purple fringing.
09-16-2017, 05:36 AM   #701
mee
Veteran Member

I agree with the first 90% of what you say. I'm not sure your definition of 'perfect' here though.

I just think they need to start showing more progress on what they've previously shown in works... even if it isn't fully ready. Just to show the public that they are serious about their Digital FF system.

Silence is the worst response in this situation. It leaves the customer wondering are they hard at work or hardly working?
09-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #702
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's your opinion, but it's not fact. The K-1 was designed to take advantage of legacy glass. Just because you choose not to use it doesn't necessarily mean the existing Pentax glass isn't adequate.

The question is adequate for what?
People have these lenses that pretty much exist only in their own imaginations. and trash Pentax for rnot meeting imaginary standards. "Modern glass" is not a meaningful standard. There has to be a technical aspect. And why is tha avoided n that type of post? Because the lenses other companies make that are held up as examples, don't meet that standard.

The number of times I have heard someone saying "Pentax doesn't have this or that but Canon does or Nikon does" and then looked up the lens FL in question only to discover the lens they refer to is not a modern lens or up to "modern" standards, I treat all such statements now as fluff. The fact that some person can imagine some lens that Pentax doesn't make, doesn't mean other companies are better or that asking Pentax to have such a lens is reasonable. Way too often I've looked at the test of mentioned canon nd Nikon offerings and looked at the expectations of the person wanting the lens in Pentax mount, and the aforementioned lens didn't meet my basic expectations in terms of being a quality lens.

I'd be happier with the forum as a whole if others did the same. See what's out there, before you criticize Pentax.

The one thing that becomes clear in these types of situations is, just because Sony, or Fuji or Canon, or Nikon have lenses for sale doesn't mean they are by definition leness. On Photozone many of them look pretty weak. That's why the 31, 43, 77, the FA 85 and many other screw drive lensesare still around. They still have something unique to offer.

The fact that some person here or there doesn't appreciate what they have to offer, in the over all scheme of things is pretty meaningless.

Last edited by normhead; 09-16-2017 at 06:53 AM.
09-16-2017, 06:13 AM   #703
Pentaxian

Consumerism.....
Go to next «Keynotes »
09-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I agree with the first 90% of what you say. I'm not sure your definition of 'perfect' here though.

I just think they need to start showing more progress on what they've previously shown in works... even if it isn't fully ready. Just to show the public that they are serious about their Digital FF system.

Silence is the worst response in this situation. It leaves the customer wondering are they hard at work or hardly working?
I really do think that the imaging division is simply a hobby for the company. Filed away under the "Other" category on the financial reports. They don't have the resources to develop lenses and bodies like the big boys. What they do make is high quality, and in 5 or 6 years we will see the lens line up start to fill in. They are doing some advertising in professional magazines and they have improved visibility in N. America.

Fuji isn't moving into the medium format market for fun. Fuji sees that there is a good market there for a company that really wants to own it. Ricoh had a golden chance to take ownership of the sub-$10,000 medium format market, but seems to have lost interest. Fuji has produced 6 lenses for the GFX system in just one year. The GFX 50 is out now and the GFX 100 isn't far behind.
09-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #705
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What are the technical reasons for a K-1 not being able to use a 31 ltd. or even an FA 35-80?
My FA 35-80 works great on a K-1, and because the K-1 pixels sites are larger, my old new stock FA-J 18-35 works much better on the K-1 than it did on the K-3. The K-1 is a concession to all that great old FA glass out there, that wasn't really fully useful without it. There wouldn't even be a K-1 without that glass. It's a way to regenerate interest in the FA ltds. etc. , and it was designed to be that. Unlike some camera companies Pentax has made sure you can use the K-1 with all their old glass, right back to the 60's.

Has anyone ever done a study to find out what the rate of Pentax lens releases is compared to other companies and then measured that as a percentage of what i already available for those systems?
I haven't figured Pentax out. As Winder says, maybe its a hobby and as long as they don't lose too much money, Ricoh will continue to let them continue to function.

I think the biggest thing is that Pentax has gotten more conservative. They are afraid of spending money on R and D that they might not get back and that has slowed the release of new products, particularly high end ones.

To your question, FA glass is nice glass. As I said above, the biggest complaints about FA glass are edge sharpness (or lack thereof) and fringing. Both get better when stopped down, but if you are buying top end wide aperture glass, you are doing so because you want to be able to shoot wide open, at least occasionally and the FA 31's corners aren't the best at f1.8. I was looking at my FA 31 shots on Flickr and they are almost all shot between f8 and f14 and at those apertures I doubt anyone could tell the difference between it and the new DFA 30 or the Sigma 35mm f1.4 for that matter.
Closed Thread