Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #841
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd love to have a use for either of them, I live in a town of 400. Having someone ask for portrait is like a dream.

My Sigma 70 macro ƒ2.8 remains my favourite portrait lens, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

09-21-2017, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #842
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kunzite-Just think a second, do you really need both of your kidneys
09-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #843
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wonder: how much sense do expensive, professional grade lenses like a FF 50mm f1.4, make? Before the K1, at least Pentax/Ricoh did not have to care much about the professional market, they could simply make very good, high value products for the serious amateur market. If you go after the "pro" market, than Ricoh's current efforts cannot really be taken serious next to the status of Canon and Nikon, and the dazzling pace at which Sony is getting their pro mirrorless act together.
I kind of would like to see Ricoh/Pentax return to the serious amateur market, or otherwise, go all out to conquer the pro market with Sony-like pace and investment.
The way it is now, nothing much at all is happening anymore. For instance: where the h**l is my K3 successor!!

Chris
09-21-2017, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #844
Pentaxian

Both in a short time-frame means at worst 2-3 month btw the 2 releases.
I'd think it is 80% reliable.
Definitely not auto-suggested.

09-21-2017, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #845
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I wonder: how much sense do expensive, professional grade lenses like a FF 50mm f1.4, make? Before the K1, at least Pentax/Ricoh did not have to care much about the professional market, they could simply make very good, high value products for the serious amateur market. If you go after the "pro" market, than Ricoh's current efforts cannot really be taken serious next to the status of Canon and Nikon, and the dazzling pace at which Sony is getting their pro mirrorless act together.
I kind of would like to see Ricoh/Pentax return to the serious amateur market, or otherwise, go all out to conquer the pro market with Sony-like pace and investment.
The way it is now, nothing much at all is happening anymore. For instance: where the h**l is my K3 successor!!

Chris
Chris, I believe you are quite mistaken about the role of the D FA* primes.
Having the D FA* lens line doesn't mean Pentax/Ricoh is going after the professional market, nor that they should go "all out". Whatever Sony is doing is not feasible for Ricoh anyway, and we don't know if it will work out for Sony.
Those lenses, IMO, are precisely aimed at both the serious amateur market and the "pro" one.

The serious amateur market, now, why would you trace imaginary and unnecessary limits on how high should they aim? It's the same as with the FF itself, there were people who said "no, Pentax should stay APS-C". Yet the K-1 worked, people bought it - not only Pentaxians. People bought the D FA* 70-200 and the D FA 150-450, too.
IMO if there are serious amateurs willing to buy the D FA* lenses, then Pentax/Ricoh should make a reasonable attempt at getting and keeping those customers. Because they're the best spenders.

Then, there's the "pro" market, and here there are more than one way - Sony way - of approaching things.
You could go "all out" and hope that in the end you'd somehow recover the huge expenses. If not... things could go bad, very bad. Or, you could set more down to Earth targets, see what kind of pros you can serve, and gradually expand your limits.
Just because Pentax cannot stand at Olympics next to Canon, does it mean they shouldn't even dream about "pro" landscape photography, or weddings, or events for example? Perhaps they should drop the relations with the existing pros, Kenspo included, as they're "too much" for Pentax?
Of course that's not what you're suggesting. But, there's no such thing as stagnation - you either move forward, or you'll be moving backwards. The D FA* primes means moving forward. They're a necessity.
09-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd love to have a use for either of them, I live in a town of 400. Having someone ask for portrait is like a dream.

My Sigma 70 macro ƒ2.8 remains my favourite portrait lens, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Norm, is the 70 your favorite portrait on full frame or crop or does it matter to you?

Senior pictures maybe? I know what you mean about enjoying the random portrait work.
09-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #847
Pentaxian

2018 calender Year of the Primes!

09-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #848
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
When Canon and Nikon openly talk about how to enter the "serious" mirrorless market, how can we imagine Ricoh investing in lenses that could be obsolete in just a few years? For me, we are in the same limbo Sony was between the failure of the Alpha 900 and the success of their mirrorless line.
Of all the manufacturers, Pentax seems to depend more on current users devoted to old lenses, so I expect them to internally resolve the legacy lens issue before Ricoh would sign off on entering the MILC market.
09-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #849
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Of all the manufacturers, Pentax seems to depend more on current users devoted to old lenses, so I expect them to internally resolve the legacy lens issue before Ricoh would sign off on entering the MILC market.
I don't think Ricoh has the resources to adequately support the K-mount and the 645 platform, so I don't see a 3rd MILC mount coming anytime in the foreseeable future. I hope I'm wrong.
09-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #850
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't think Ricoh has the resources to adequately support the K-mount and the 645 platform, so I don't see a 3rd MILC mount coming anytime in the foreseeable future. I hope I'm wrong.
What could possibly be the unique value proposition of a Pentax MILC?
09-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #851
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Getting a wide array of lenses courtesy of adaptable Canon EF mount ones haha

Really absolutely nothing. It would essentially be a Sony... but Sony already does Sony well.
09-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #852
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Really absolutely nothing. It would essentially be a Sony... but Sony already does Sony well.
But Sony makes bodies with sub-par build quality, terrible menus, and bad ergonomics. The E-mount was not designed for FF from the ground up. Sony makes great sensors and has some awesome technology, but they make pretty average cameras.

They make great cameras. Better than Sony is many ways. They just don't have the technology or the resources. They need to partner with Samsung (again) for sensor and AF technology. Without the R&D and production resources it will never happen. I think Ricoh can make a better camera than Sony if they had the sensor and AF technology. The K-1 is a perfect example of an excellent camera that just needs a little speed (AF and imaging pipeline).
09-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #853
JPT
Pentaxian

Couldn't you ask exactly the same question about the K-1?
09-21-2017, 09:41 PM   #854
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
But Sony makes bodies with sub-par build quality, terrible menus, and bad ergonomics. The E-mount was not designed for FF from the ground up. Sony makes great sensors and has some awesome technology, but they make pretty average cameras.
Not sure that's hurting sales.. it seems more people are satisfied with average than not. Plus they offer pricey G Master lenses.. and those seem to sell.. so they must be doing something properly.

(Even though I share the same opinion with respect to Sony MILC build quality and ergonomics)
09-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #855
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Couldn't you ask exactly the same question about the K-1?
Well considering it is the only Full Frame DSLR with native K mount I'd say it is rather unique.

One can adapt lenses easily for any mirrorless body compared to for a DSLR.
Closed Thread