Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #901
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I know Tony Northrup said he could never get Pentax gear to review. Someone who bought a K-1 let him borrow it for his review
Yes, RI cant go giving the K-1 to just anybody!

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I strongly suspect there are far far far more people out there that listen to the talking heads on youtube and enthusiast sites than they do to pro photographers signed to shoot with a particular brand's equipment.
Anybody in their right mind will cross reference a fair number of reviews both written and YTubed.

I think Pentax must be in an older mindset
Pretty much like their client base!Those people look out the window to get an up to date look at the weather!

09-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #902
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Anybody in their right mind will cross reference a fair number of reviews both written and YTubed.
For sure! But how many have contact with a signed pro representing Pentax? Or really go to the Pentax site and see what the pros have to say? No I think they're going to review sites, forums, and youtube instead. But Ricoh seems to be simply hiring a small group of pros to act as salesmen while doing very little through the current channels of communication (online reviewers).

Pretty much like their client base!Those people look out the window to get an up to date look at the weather!
Then I do not resemble the client base. And they need to start attracting people my age and younger.. they do that by doing what Rondec and Winder mentioned in getting these cameras into the hands of online reviewers.

There is one caveat to this.. the reviewer has to like your product. If they don't then it backfires.

I guess that is the one plus of hiring pros to communicate with the outside world, they're on your payroll (essentially, even if just getting 'free' gear) so they probably aren't going to criticize you too deeply.
09-23-2017, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #903
Pentaxian

Pros come in many forms....
Earlier this year I spied a guy shooting at a surfbreak I frequent.Had a d500 in his hands and after some minor exchange revealed he was a Nikon supported pro....as far as I can gather,the deal was you need to BUY two top end bodies and a few top end lenses and be a registered business to qualify.Then if your gear fails they get you a substitute of the same level within 24 hours and they fix your gear.
He said he was with Canon at an earlier stage but switched due to the d500,he emphasised how good it was.Then went on about his other body,a d810,which he used for landscapes and portraits,Absolutely the best in its field he said.
He asked me what I shot with,I said I used a K-1 with PS for landscapes and remarked that I thought it was reasonably good.
He shut up.....He obviously knew the capability.
RI have to get to a good level to support any "pro" thing....weather sealed primes are needed ASAP.the MOUNTain is there to climb![COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 09-24-17 at 04:50 PM ----------
09-23-2017, 10:56 PM   #904
mee
Veteran Member

Pros come in many forms....
Earlier this year I spied a guy shooting at a surfbreak I frequent.Had a d500 in his hands and after some minor exchange revealed he was a Nikon supported pro....as far as I can gather,the deal was you need to BUY two top end bodies and a few top end lenses and be a registered business to qualify.Then if your gear fails they get you a substitute of the same level within 24 hours and they fix your gear.
He said he was with Canon at an earlier stage but switched due to the d500,he emphasised how good it was.Then went on about his other body,a d810,which he used for landscapes and portraits,Absolutely the best in its field he said.
He asked me what I shot with,I said I used a K-1 with PS for landscapes and remarked that I thought it was reasonably good.
He shut up.....He obviously knew the capability.
RI have to get to a good level to support any "pro" thing....weather sealed primes are needed ASAP.the MOUNTain is there to climb![COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 09-24-17 at 04:50 PM ----------
Yes you are going to have a limited number of interactions with those brand affiliated pros in the wild versus the number of interactions a youtube or website pundit will. Potentially millions more.

09-24-2017, 01:17 AM   #905
Pentaxian

Potentially millions more.
I do watch YT when theres reviews of new stuff, but MILLIONS, i doubt i'd do that in 1000 years?
09-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #906
mee
Veteran Member

I do watch YT when theres reviews of new stuff, but MILLIONS, i doubt i'd do that in 1000 years?
Huh? I don't follow you. If you go to YT and check how many views some of those photography related videos get, some have a couple million views. More people are watching youtube than are out walking in public and will interact with a signed pro.

Plus, once you've recorded the video, you don't have to lift a finger as the work is already done... it can simply be reused indefinitely 24/7. That's also why you want to insure those reviews are going to be positive... they'll probably outlive the product.
09-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #907
Veteran Member

Ricoh needs to be paying attention to video blogs. Those guys need content to keep their channel relevant and Ricoh needs exposure. The guy on Cameraville has been doing a lot of Pentax reviews. He's not very polished, but he is getting better. Those things take a lot of time and you have to be dedicated to it. IF you can get over the 1 million subscribers mark there is some money in it.

When you realize how little it costs to run a YouTube channel relative to the exposure you gain, you would think Ricoh would sponsor their own channel. Of course you have to have content and be able to communicate and Ricoh's not very good at either of those. The FujiGuys channel is pretty decent for a manufacturers channel.

09-24-2017, 06:36 AM   #908
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It would be kind of cool to have a Pentax Yt channel as long as there's new content there at least once a week. Could be a mix of short things, like tech tips, and then maybe longer shows. Like a "Pentax Monthly Artist in Residence" where we get to walk along someone who is good with the gear and showing how they use Pentax bits to get the shots they want. Like someone that excels at street shooting, give them a KP, DA 21, and maybe a flash. Send them around Aspen or Austin or Antwerp. K-1 and something, do landscapes and astro, etc. 5 K-70's given to teams of high school kids showing how the gear is easy to use.
09-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #909
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
It would be kind of cool to have a Pentax Yt channel as long as there's new content there at least once a week. Could be a mix of short things, like tech tips, and then maybe longer shows. Like a "Pentax Monthly Artist in Residence" where we get to walk along someone who is good with the gear and showing how they use Pentax bits to get the shots they want. Like someone that excels at street shooting, give them a KP, DA 21, and maybe a flash. Send them around Aspen or Austin or Antwerp. K-1 and something, do landscapes and astro, etc. 5 K-70's given to teams of high school kids showing how the gear is easy to use.
If they would just run a weekly video on how to get the most out of their cameras. Explain all the AF settings. Explain all of the JPEG adjustment features.
09-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #910
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I tried to address that very thing with the tech tips aspect. I think that the channel content could be half photog at work, half tech & usability.
09-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #911
Pentaxian

Well faking views on YouTube and the like is as easy as paying 5$ to obscure Chinese who will generate those for you.
09-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #912
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well faking views on YouTube and the like is as easy as paying 5$ to obscure Chinese who will generate those for you.
Easy as faking positivity as a company contracted photographer towards that company's products.. so what? Hype is hype.

We're just throwing ideas out as to what Ricoh could work on easily to get more interest in the brand.. things that other brands seem to be doing.

RI seems to engage on facebook and twitter. Having an active youtube channel that has quick tips or the like makes sense. Esp when you can point to those videos on your already active FB and Twitter company accounts.
09-24-2017, 11:15 PM - 2 Likes   #913
Veteran Member

Right now, I feel like the lack of 3rd party support is hurting Pentax more than the perceived lack of 1st party lenses, or traditional marketing (it seems like most internet users who might consider a camera at the price point of the K-1 are already aware of Pentax). These days people see 3rd party lenses from Tamron and Sigma (especially Art lenses) on equal ground as 1st party Canikon lenses, and are major drivers of the current DSLR market. I'm pretty sure Ricoh knows that as well when they made it a priority to fill in the f/2.8 zoom lineup at the K-1 launch even if they were actually Tamrons in the case of the 15-30 and 24-70, rather than wait for the snail's pace of 1st party lenses.

While it seems like the 3rd party manufacturers are unwilling to put major investments on the line for less popular mounts like K-mount or A-mount now, they have shown that they are more than willing to deal directly with 1st party camera manufacturers. It's not only Tamron with their rebranding deals for Pentax, but it's been revealed that some high end 1st party branded lenses for m4/3 are actually designed by Sigma, such as the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 and the Panasonic-"Leica" (really nothing to do with Leica) 12mm f/1.4, both highly rated lenses.

If Ricoh cannot manage the time and resources to bring out 1st party FF lenses in a timely manner, I feel like they could more aggressively pursue deals with Sigma and Tamron for their (excellent) optical designs. By spreading out the investment, all involved would be much more likely to commit to K-mount: Ricoh doesn't have to spend lots of time and money to create lenses from scratch, and 3rd parties don't have to take a big gamble on supporting K-mount independently: they would have a guaranteed number of orders through Ricoh itself, rather than trying to gauge unknown consumer/retailer demand. Better yet, if Ricoh simply licenses the optical designs (effectively free money for the 3rd parties, seeing as they have no competing lenses for K-mount as is) then they can build the lens bodies themselves, with that famous Pentax weather sealing, like it appears Olympus and Panasonic are doing now.

If there were a sudden increase in the availability of new, high quality FF lenses, eliminating the perpetual "lack of available lenses" con that is on every otherwise glowing review for Pentax cameras, Ricoh could even increase the prices on future bodies a little while still maintaining the perception of excellent value (especially as even APS-C and m4/3 flagships are now hitting $2000). If the difficult "fast prime" market is handled, they could also redirect more resources to more unconventional lenses that devoted Pentax users seem to love, like the Limiteds.

Win-win for all involved as I see it. Of course the biggest winner of all would be Pentax users.

Last edited by Cannikin; 09-24-2017 at 11:57 PM.
09-24-2017, 11:40 PM   #914
Pentaxian

I'd rather see Pentax' own designs.
09-25-2017, 12:45 AM   #915
Pentaxian

Tokina Vista 35mm T/1.5, 50mm T/1.5 and 85mm T/1.5.

Do these focal lengths and this aperture (= f/1.4) ring a bell?

TOKINA CINEMA ATX

Closed Thread