Photos: Gallery
Are we talking about 85mm

09-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #992
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
This thread is kind of all over the place. I personally don't think it should be taken too seriously since there's very little real information that the public is aware of at this point in time. k-mount land being what it is today, we have options for a good 85mm lens if one is required, but the situation could be much much better.
09-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #993
Pentaxian

fiscal Year of the Prime(s)?

I hope so, its been a bit of a wait but it will be worth it.The primes will be superb,$tar quality!
09-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #994
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
fiscal Year of the Prime(s)?

I hope so, its been a bit of a wait but it will be worth it.The primes will be superb,$tar quality!
How do you know this?

09-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #995
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
How do you know this?
Which part?
09-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #996
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Which part?
Will it will be worth the wait? I guess thats a bit subjective but I'm sure they will be great, if/when they happen.
09-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #997
Pentaxian

* quality is 5 star!

09-28-2017, 12:00 AM   #998
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
in a meta sort of way, yes - the discussion is about why there is no hard news regarding the 85mm
09-28-2017, 01:53 AM   #999
Pentaxian

We know why: there are more than 2 weeks until the D FA* 85mm f/1.4 would be launched.
Nothing to discuss about
09-28-2017, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #1000
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
in a meta sort of way, yes - the discussion is about why there is no hard news regarding the 85mm
When there's nothing to talk about... talk about why there's nothing to talk about.
09-28-2017, 05:44 AM   #1001
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When there's nothing to talk about... talk about why there's nothing to talk about.
And talk about how Ricoh should talk more.
09-28-2017, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #1002
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If there is a problem with Pentaxians, it is that they care a little too much and have too little information. When I say too little information, I don't just mean we don't know a real schedule for lens and camera body releases, but we actually don't have real information about what would make the biggest impact going forward to improve Pentax's market share and sell more cameras.

Some say advertising, some say mirrorless, some say better lenses or better auto focus, and some say make smaller camera bodies. The reality is that no one truly knows what drives the market, particularly for a small player like Pentax and if any of us did know, we wouldn't be wasting our time on the Pentax Forum.
09-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #1003
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If there is a problem with Pentaxians, it is that they care a little too much and have too little information. When I say too little information, I don't just mean we don't know a real schedule for lens and camera body releases, but we actually don't have real information about what would make the biggest impact going forward to improve Pentax's market share and sell more cameras.

Some say advertising, some say mirrorless, some say better lenses or better auto focus, and some say make smaller camera bodies. The reality is that no one truly knows what drives the market, particularly for a small player like Pentax and if any of us did know, we wouldn't be wasting our time on the Pentax Forum.

The answer is all of those things. Because all of those things are drivers in selling cameras today. Ricoh just has to pick, show obviously that they have picked, and stick to that plan. It seems in the past few years they've deviated all over the place trying to find a niche with which they are happy.

Either way advertising is a crucial aspect to any brand.. if the buying public doesn't know you exist or why you should be considered in a purchase decision, then you've already lost.
09-28-2017, 08:19 AM - 2 Likes   #1004
Pentaxian

Yes, "the public" (technically only that minuscule fraction of the public that might be interested in a stand-alone camera) must know Pentax exists. But to say that advertising is the only way anyone ever learns of the existence of a product seems quite wrong. ( Personally, I learned of Pentax and the K10D from a friend.) And to further assume advertising is a cost-effective way certainly compounds the potentially flawed logic. In an era of social media word of mouth, consumer skepticism of corporations, click-fraud, and ad blockers, I wonder if advertising is a huge waste of money but I readily admit that I don't know.

The drivers of sales is only half the equation. There's a big trade-off between the drivers of sales (e.g., the list of whiz bang features, performance levels, camera architectures du jour, and marketing) and the drivers of costs (e.g., R&D, manufacturing, purchased components, inventory, marketing, and services). We all have our personal opinions about what might drive sales the most although I'd expect Ricoh probably has better actual data on this based on their own sales figures and high-level contacts within the industry. What we lack is good estimates on the costs -- how much does it actually cost to design and manufacture a new lens, or a mirrorless camera with a suite of lenses, or world-class AF??? We don't know.
09-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #1005
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The answer is all of those things. Because all of those things are drivers in selling cameras today. Ricoh just has to pick, show obviously that they have picked, and stick to that plan. It seems in the past few years they've deviated all over the place trying to find a niche with which they are happy.

Either way advertising is a crucial aspect to any brand.. if the buying public doesn't know you exist or why you should be considered in a purchase decision, then you've already lost.
Advertising is important, but doing it wisely is probably key (whatever that means).

I think too that certain things like small size aren't as important in the marketplace as we think they are and value pricing is probably more important. I don't know how important a "full lens line up" is to the average photographer. It certainly seemed as though Sony sold a bunch of cameras when they didn't have a complete lens line up. Improving auto focus is important, but probably just as important would be training people on the best settings for their camera and how to make the most of it. I'm convinced that at least some of the issues that people have with Pentax auto focus are related to user error.

Regardless, as you say, it would be nice if Ricoh was a little more forthcoming with their plans and have clarity on how they plan to meet the challenges in front of them (and in front of all camera makers).
Closed Thread