Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2017, 07:00 AM   #1096
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
55-300PLM made that easier for me If there was few more of such brilliant consumer lenses, that would be even easier to get people into Pentax ecosystem.
More PLM lenses?
Pentax has the largest line of APS-c lenses of any manufacturer if memory serves me well.

10-16-2017, 07:31 AM   #1097
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Theta is definitely part of their 'Smart Vision' business, which is part of the 'Other' business segment. See their comment to page 9 of their 'Consolidated Results for Three Months Ended June 30, 2017' presentation:

Source: http://www.ricoh.com/IR/data/pre/pdf/h30q1_qa.pdf (page #9 but tenth page of the pdf document)
That's what I thought, thanks for looking up the details.
So Theta has nothing to do with RI.
10-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #1098
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging is part of Smart Vision, if not the Smart Vision.
10-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #1099
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Priority of what Ricoh division?
In the past, after the acquisition of Pentax , it was mentioned by Ricoh that they had two camera lines 1) innovation line and 2) traditional line, K1 being in the traditional line.
I bet people can move from one project to another depending on priorities. Pentax is a brand name, on packaging of Pentax K1 and DFA lenses you can read Ricoh...

10-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #1100
Pentaxian

The "innovation" line - K-S1, K-S2 - was merged back into mainstream, AFAIK. It had nothing to do with Theta.
10-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #1101
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Priority of what Ricoh division?
From the career pages of Ricoh, we can see that this is a pretty large organization that can house more than one division on the same R&D floor in the same building. I guess it might be not too difficult to develop firmware code for image processing regardless of whether it's used for a copier, a dslr or a 360 camera, as long as it is something allowed, encouraged or even directed by management. After all, i was not so hard for Apple to cast computer tech into an iPhone and by the way competitor were taken by surprise as they all came from phone development.
10-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #1102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Then be glad its not your job..Like it is for me then
Hello Kenspo, well how about convincing me to stay with Pentax, and not sell my K3 + DA560 for a Sigma 500/4 with a Nikon D500?
It's very easy actually: just tell me that a K3 successor is in the works
I'll even relieve you from the possibility of being accused of leaking, just type "0" for nope, no K3 successor anytime soon, and just type "1" for: K3 successor in sight.

Chris

10-16-2017, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #1103
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
It is hard to blame people for leaving Pentax right now and it is difficult to convince anyone to join Pentax these days.
And we are getting someone suspecting cell phones have their limitations and is buying their first serious camera.

They chose Pentax.

Will you try and talk him into returning it and getting a refund?

New K-1 Owner. Help me build my lens collection:) - PentaxForums.com
10-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #1104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Hello Kenspo, well how about convincing me to stay with Pentax, and not sell my K3 + DA560 for a Sigma 500/4 with a Nikon D500?
It's very easy actually: just tell me that a K3 successor is in the works
I'll even relieve you from the possibility of being accused of leaking, just type "0" for nope, no K3 successor anytime soon, and just type "1" for: K3 successor in sight.

Chris
Lol
It is coming, c'mon...
10-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #1105
Pentaxian

Lol
It is coming, c'mon...
On a serious note though ....... is it? I'm starting to have doubts and that's only recently, seeing the release of new lenses taking forever, and seeing the absence of even the faintest rumors, which I normally do not care about, but which I now find myself looking for....
I really, really want a K3 successor for my DA560, instead of going through the hassle of a system change again, like when Olympus terminated 4/3 and I had to sell four Olympus SHG lenses because Olympus chose to abandon the Dslr in one go.
I'm starting to have the same feeling again that I had in the last year before the decisive message from Olympus about: no more Dslr. I just knew it didn't fit, not the faintest rumor of a new Dslr to replace the E5, and sold my lenses just in time, because the prices of 4/3 lenses plummeted after that.
If the KP is the successor to the K3, as is starting to be assumed here and there due to the complete absence of even the faintest rumor about a K3 successor, then I can see the price of the DA560 plummeting in much the same way, although at least there is the K1. I guess I would want to be ahead of the announcement and sell my DA560 at a decent price.
I was never happy with the K3 sensor, but do like the KP sensor from what I have seen. But there are the FF lenses, the 645 system, and Ricoh/Pentax is now going at a snails pace and slowing even further. The KP may well be the last Apsc body for the years to come....

Chris
10-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #1106
Pentaxian

Being serious is overrated.
New lenses will be announced at CP+, most likely - and not before. At least we were told about the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 coming by the end of this fiscal year, and there's a rumor about the D FA* 85mm f/1.4 following shortly after.
Unless they make an exception, we won't be told about the K-3's successor until the official announcement (which means, leaks will start coming few days before). The best information we can have right now is Ricoh Imaging's: "A successor to the K-3 II is being researched."

I believe things will be clarified at CP+, and perhaps further at Photokina. It's up to you if you'd wait or not; but there's nothing we can do to speed up the schedule. (side note: trying to steer as many people away from Pentax as possible doesn't work).

Speaking of Olympus: 4/3 is dead and burried, OK; but how about m4/3? This year they had as few products as Pentax: one camera, no lens.

Last edited by Kunzite; 10-17-2017 at 06:47 AM.
10-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #1107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
On a serious note though ....... is it? I'm starting to have doubts and that's only recently, seeing the release of new lenses taking forever, and seeing the absence of even the faintest rumors, which I normally do not care about, but which I now find myself looking for....
I really, really want a K3 successor for my DA560, instead of going through the hassle of a system change again, like when Olympus terminated 4/3 and I had to sell four Olympus SHG lenses because Olympus chose to abandon the Dslr in one go.
I'm starting to have the same feeling again that I had in the last year before the decisive message from Olympus about: no more Dslr. I just knew it didn't fit, not the faintest rumor of a new Dslr to replace the E5, and sold my lenses just in time, because the prices of 4/3 lenses plummeted after that.
If the KP is the successor to the K3, as is starting to be assumed here and there due to the complete absence of even the faintest rumor about a K3 successor, then I can see the price of the DA560 plummeting in much the same way, although at least there is the K1. I guess I would want to be ahead of the announcement and sell my DA560 at a decent price.
I was never happy with the K3 sensor, but do like the KP sensor from what I have seen. But there are the FF lenses, the 645 system, and Ricoh/Pentax is now going at a snails pace and slowing even further. The KP may well be the last Apsc body for the years to come....

Chris
I left Olympus and sold my E-3 and SHG lenses before the E-5 ever came out. It was pretty obvious then at mirrorless was where Olympus was headed. I loved the Olympus system. They make great quality equipment. If they ever launch a mirrorless FF body in 4/3 format I will probably sell my Sony equipment for it.

I do think Ricoh has big plans. At least I want to think that. Ricoh makes it pretty hard to have any faith in the company. It appears that the integration of Pentax into Ricoh was extremely challenging and there are a couple of key technologies that they seem to be struggling with. They may not have the technology they need to launch a K-3 replacement that is a big enough step forward.
10-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #1108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
They may not have the technology they need to launch a K-3 replacement that is a big enough step forward.
As a K-3 user and therefore the art market for this camera, all I need is

1. A bigger buffer
2. K-3 farme rate
3. The K-70 KP images processed that brings APS-c high ISO IQ up to equivalent standard (1 stop less than the K-1).

The big thin for me is, sitting in my blind as darkness approaches shooting with the K-3, there comes a time when I have to accept the lower resolution in the crop area of the K-1 to take advantage of low light. Shooting in low light , I shoot APS-c at 5.6 and the K-1 at ƒ8. A K-P will make that switch un-neccessary. I'm, looking forward to that capability in the K-3 III.

I want this capability in a pro style body.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/203-pentax-kp/341181-my-kp-7.html#post4113536

All those things are currently available.
I slightly higher frame rate, like maybe 10 FPS instead of 8 and less reduction of frame rate when tracking would also be nice but not essential.
But the basics could be covered tomorrow. IN fact I'm thinking of getting a L=P just for the better low light performance, but I'm having on hoping the K-3 successor will come out next year, right on schedule.

My feeling is the opposite, I think when the K-3 successor is introduced after 3 years, it's going to have much more than I'd need to consider upgrading. I think I'm going to be surprised and delighted, just like I was with the K-3.

Last edited by normhead; 10-17-2017 at 07:41 AM.
10-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #1109
Pentaxian

They may not have the technology they need to launch a K-3 replacement that is a big enough step forward.
Personally, I am not asking for a giant leap. Four reasons why I really want a K3 successor next year:
1.) The elusive mirror flop. My K3 only does it now and then, but it is time to be rid of it.
2.) I never really liked the K3 sensor output that much, and the KP sensor/processing is simply looking better.
3.) I can never really be confident that the K3 AF nails it, having to check each and every shot in other than bright daylight contrast for accurate focus with the DA560. I have become convinced by spending so much time with the K3 behavior, that more focus points are needed, leading to smaller areas of AF sensitivity so I can confidently pick the desired spot for focus. Better C-AF would be welcome, but having the slow DA560, for me that is not a priority.
4.) better inbody SR, which is there already in the K1 and KP.

Really, this is all that is needed to keep me with Pentax. Seeing what Sony is doing with its bodies, I would say that I am asking for.... 10% of Sony's effort?
Chris

---------- Post added 10-17-17 at 02:35 PM ----------

I left Olympus and sold my E-3 and SHG lenses before the E-5 ever came out. It was pretty obvious then at mirrorless was where Olympus was headed. I loved the Olympus system. They make great quality equipment. If they ever launch a mirrorless FF body in 4/3 format I will probably sell my Sony equipment for it.
Despite their size, which I would not be able to put up with anymore, having the Sony A7RII and Zeiss loxias, I never found the lens quality of the Zuiko SHG lenses anywhere ever again (although if I had the money, I could buy Zeiss Otus of course). Still miss them when going through old images, even though I have to look past the 4/3 sensor limitations (which were as awesome as the SHG quality)

Chris

Last edited by Chris Mak; 10-17-2017 at 07:36 AM.
10-17-2017, 07:36 AM   #1110
Veteran Member

Ricoh makes it pretty hard to have any faith in the company.
Agree with you 100% on this one. Their lukewarm answer to them leaving the DSLR business and the painfully slow pace of product release, not only premium products but any products, start to take its toll in people's confidence in the brand. Many long time users are now thinking twice before putting more money on Pentax gear, prefering to fall back in a wait and see stance.
Closed Thread