Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #1126
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
You see, unlike with Pentax, there are rumors going round with Olympus, and very substantial rumors......
I'm intrigued not seeing new glass on a regular basis if a company has a lens design team in place. Outsourcing is also a possibility. Lens for another mount is also a possibility. It's hard to conclude anything. For a permanent lens design team constantly working, output would be one new lens per year or so. If there was no new lens for 2 years, either they'd be keeping new lenses before making a big announcement of multiple lenses at a time, or... that would mean that the lens design team is gone finishing. Not everything is lost, November is ahead of us, and there is a possibility still Q1, beyond that time frame, that will be weird.

10-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #1127
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I got the DFA28-105, DFA15-30, DFA*70-200, the 31ltd, the 43ltd, the 77ltd and the DFA100 macro, also the Pentax K1

The 24-70 is on my list for next year, and when i got the chance i buy the Zeiss ZK 85 instead of the FA*85.

The 150-450 isnt not something i need, a 300mm prime maybe, but i could settle for a 200mm macro

The problem with us, the relative new users is the legacy lenses are often hard to get, and when is available, is as expensive as the modern gear, so, we want the release of the new lenses as se cant get the third parties lensed either, i wouldnt be here nagging about the DFA*85 if i could just go to amazon, BH or Adorama and order the Sigma Art.
There are very few like you. And if you think the price of the old FA*85 is too high, wait until you see the price of the new one. Lots of people myself included felt the old FA*80-200 was too much, , the price of the DFA* 70-200 is double the cost. It's better for sure, but costs are in line for what you get.
10-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #1128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
The K-S2 was shown under glass at CES 2015. The 645D made many appearances at shows, in various forms, before it was announced. The K-1 was shown as 3D mockups in 2015, then as a pre-production prototype at Photo Plus Expo 2015 and Salon de la Photo 2015. The K-10 prototype was shown at PMA 2006.

Given the lack of product releases or announcements (with prices and ship dates) this year, Ricoh might consider giving folks a peek at some items under glass, especially if they are far enough along in development to be ready for introduction at CP+. The end of the year is when many folks may be considering making major purchases, and getting a tease of upcoming products from Ricoh may help convince them to keep a few dollars in their pockets for after the new year.
The K-S2 was shown at CES, just 1 month before the official announcement.
Pentax presented several medium format prototypes (and design prototypes), and they presented the K-1 as they launched a new D FA lens line for it - those are what I called exceptions.

The vast majority of cameras, people don't find out about them until right before the official announcement.

My point? Ricoh Imaging is tight lipped regarding their cameras, and this is the reason we don't know anything about a next APS_C flagship.
They might decide to release something at a major show (e.g. CP+), but if they do, it would be a deliberate act.
10-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #1129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Sorry, but if Ricoh doesn't want to risk money to launch products that I want to buy, I don't see why I would risk mine to buy products I don't want hoping this will encourage them to produce something I want.
SO go find what you want elsewhere. What's the hold up. This is entirely a line drawing exercise. What they produce now isn't what you want, what they produce in the future may not be what you want. Go find what you want for grief's sake. You're wasting your life.

10-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #1130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And what's stopping you from switching if stat's what you want? WHy should Pentax produce lenses like that. I and many other established Pentax owners wouldn't buy them. Most of us don't care for even 1.4 glass, forget about 1.2. The 1.2 images club is one of the most neglected lens clubs on the forum. 60,000 Pentax users have spoken. My guess is investing in ƒ 1.2 glass production runs could bankrupt Pentax. With their small user base and so many non ƒ1.2 options, they couldn't sell them.

I wonder what percentage of the photographic community buys a camera based on the availability of ƒ1.2 glass. Whatever it is, the number of Pentax users interested is even less.

I never said i wanted those pieces of glass, nor mentioned that pentax should create those pieces either. My comment was based on comment that olympus has no glass being released this year, which they do. Also 1.2 glass in m43 is the same as roughly 2.4 in 35mm, which helps with dof in that system thus making the gap even smaller.

10-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #1131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't think Ricoh has auto-focus figured out yet. There really isn't much of a reason to introduce a new body if they can't take a big step forward in AF technology.
I know someone will chime in with a story about how their great, great, great, grandfather was a multi-millionaire photographer shooting extreme motor-sports with and 8x10 view camera back during the civil war. They still have all of their great, great, great grandfathers RAW files.
That's just you. Do you own a K-P?

QuoteQuote:
My wife & I just bought the KP after she sold her K-S2, she loves it. I didn't think it would replace my K-3II as a lighter in-the-field option to the K-1, but it has. With it, I will usually run it in Auto ISO 100-6400 with good results, have even used 12,800 in certain light conditions looks good. Shutter is very quiet, the flip up (or down) LCD screen is great for low to the ground shots, the different grip sizes are a nice feature. The AF seems to be improved as I got a five shot series of two mallards taking off of a pond at 20yrds with my DA*300 last Sunday, each one in focus, even with the big lens, it handled great with the large grip. So far I've been very impressed with the KP, to where I've passed the K-3II to my daughter. Just really didn't need it anymore, as it makes a great ASP-C companion to the K-1.

Read more at: My KP - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
I'm amazed at all the experts who know what Pentax has to do, that don't know what they've already done. K-3 AF has already been exceeded. You just didn't know it. Pentax is never going to put 1Dx or D4 AF into a $1500 camera. Neither are Canon, Sony or Nikon. If you need that, buy it. It's out there.

I always favour user reports over non-user complaints.

Also, the success of the 55-300 PLM suggests that the K-3 is quite capable of faster AF with faster focusing lenses. We haven't really identified if the problem is Pentax AF of the fact that so many high end Pentax users bought SD lenses which have proved to be slow. My K-1 with an F 70-210 on it focus very quickly, as it would with a 55-300 PLM.

In other brands everyone knows you have to buy fast focusing lenses to make the best use of the AF system. Pentax doesn't have as many fast focusing lenses, but it also seems to have a group of critics who don't own the fasterfocsuing Pentax lenses, that seem to believe every Pentax lens should be fast focusing and imply all the competition's are. it's disappointing people who want to be regarded as experts don't do more homework.

Imaging resources seems to think that Pentax single point focus is already fast, and the K-P is fast, even in low light situations. It's hard to improve on what you're already best at.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-kp/pentax-kpA.HTM

Last edited by normhead; 10-17-2017 at 10:11 AM.
10-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #1132
Veteran Member

SO go find what you want elsewhere. What's the hold up. This is entirely a line drawing exercise. What they produce now isn't what you want, what they produce in the future may not be what you want. Go find what you want for grief's sake. You're wasting your life.
I never said that I was unhappy with the Pentax equipment I have right now. Just that if Pentax wants me to spend money on their stuff, they have to offer products that could interest me in addition or as an upgrade to what I already have. It doesn't mean I absolutely need the thing, and certianly not worth the trouble of switching brand for it. Just that I would consider buying it if they would make it. But if they don't make it, please don't blame me if I don't put money on it.

10-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #1133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I never said that I was unhappy with the Pentax equipment I have right now. Just that if Pentax wants me to spend money on their stuff, they have to offer products that could interest me in addition or as an upgrade to what I already have. It doesn't mean I absolutely need the thing, and certianly not worth the trouble of switching brand for it. Just that I would consider buying it if they would make it. But if they don't make it, please don't blame me if I don't put money on it.
We all have a wish list for sure.... but will that ever really end?

I'm not blaming anyone, just saying... if putting the money into fast 2.8 glass backfires, we may never get the new lenses we want. Personally, I think they should have gone to ƒ4 mid tier glass first. But, it's hard to enter the pro market without offering what the other guys offer, so I completely understand why they did it. I'm not buying any expensive glass either, and I'm not sure if they made what I want, it would be at a price I could afford. So I'm content to sit back and let them make what they want. It's their money.

I suspect the 85 1.4 will be a concession to wedding and portrait photographers... servicing another pro market. i'm not sure Pentax even see the FF market as a consumer market. But if LeRolls FA* 85 1.4 images don't sell that lens, I'm not sure that a new one will sell either.
10-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #1134
Veteran Member

I suspect the 85 1.4 will be a concession to wedding and portrait photographers... servicing another pro market. i'm not sure Pentax even see the FF market as a consumer market. But if LeRolls FA* 85 1.4 images don't sell that lens, I'm not sure that a new one will sell either.
The problem is: Pentax dont sell the FA*85 anymore, you must buy it second hand, with no warranty or service on a already expensive lens... And maybe a lot of possible buyers may dont pull the trigger until the new lens is out, because the price of the FA* will drop, or they may think they already have more than the half of the money for the new lens. That happen to me, a listed FA* was on sale for weeks in a fair price in the marketplace, i didnt pull the trigger, and was painfull to see it there at my hand reach and i did nothing.

10-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #1135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
The problem is: Pentax dont sell the FA*85 anymore, you must buy it second hand, with no warranty or service on a already expensive lens... And maybe a lot of possible buyers may dont pull the trigger until the new lens is out, because the price of the FA* will drop, or they may think they already have more than the half of the money for the new lens. That happen to me, a listed FA* was on sale for weeks in a fair price in the marketplace, i didnt pull the trigger, and was painfull to see it there at my hand reach and i did nothing.
I've done the same thing.... it's hard to pay over $1000 for something you can't touch and might have been dropped.WHen I bought my Tamron 300 2.8, I drove over 100 miles to see it. I even knew the guy selling it, and I was sure he wouldn't sell me something that he considered defective. But I wanted to make sure his standards weren't lower than mine. It is really hard to bro into blind transactions for that much money. I don't mind gambling with $150 or under, but the price of an FA*85 is way above that, so I know where you're coming form.

That being said, I've had nothing but good product both ordering fromJapan and from forum members. I suspect my discomfort with buying second had has cost me some glass I would love to have.

Second hand I've bought a Tamron 90, awesome lens, my 21 limited, I drove to Ottawa for it and still love it, my FA 50 macro, it was bit damaged but works great, my Tamron 300 2.8, my SMC Pentax A 400 5 an FA 28-200, an FA 35-80, and a few SMC A and M42 lenses and 645 lenses without even one giving me a problem. Based on current experience I have no cause for concern, but there's always those stories about someone who had a bad experience.

Used lenses have been very good to me.
10-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #1136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always favour user reports over non-user complaints
YES!...I value the opinions of actual owners very highly when i'm considering any purchase.

In other brands everyone knows you have to buy fast focusing lenses to make the best use of the AF system
Yesterday i tested the most up to date Fuji AF,the slow glass is still SLOW!

the price of the DFA* 70-200 is double the cost
Yes, D stands for double...didnt you know that?

---------- Post added 10-18-17 at 06:56 AM ----------

Fuji had very crappy AF
Yes, and the firmware updates got it up to a little better.The present AF is OK.

---------- Post added 10-18-17 at 07:27 AM ----------

I know Ricoh isn't Fuji
Definitely spelt differently!

I know Ricoh will probably never be able to compete with Fuji, but it would be nice to see them try a little harder.
The difference is Fuji is extroverted and RI isnt,both produce great stuff.Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Ricoh on the other hand has a dated lens line up with a lot of holes to fill
The DFA zooms are superb,no holes there.The only thing lacking is the primes and its their YEAR!

I suppose a FF teleconverter(1.4x) is lacking too.AW/WR.

Last edited by surfar; 10-17-2017 at 01:35 PM.
10-17-2017, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #1137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, D stands for double...didnt you know that?
I always wondered what the D was for. Thanks for clearing that up.
10-17-2017, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #1138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why is anyone not paying attention to the fact that these are '*' (STAR) designated optics and that their designs are are solely owned by Pentax. These lenses are for the long haul and I haven't seen Pentax doing monkey business around their '*' designated optics (as in multiple versions of the same FL with cheapening out between versions). And I personally like the idea of spending your effort on only the best. Cos then there is only the best out there to choose from whether or not you afford it.

D-FA*85/1.4 is a key FL and happens to be the second '*' optic Pentax is developing (1st being D-FA*70-200/2.8). If I were Pentax I would not care about the launch date until I get the design right. It may be potentially designed to exceed D-FA*70-200's performance at 85mm. And the owners of D-FA*70-200 already know what it does at 85mm.
'*' optics is their reputation. There is no room for failure and it is way more critical for them to get this right than its availability (or the lack of) in the market.
Honestly I feel very good about the fact that they are working on '*' optics and not churning out plain D-FA designs. I have also committed my LBA to their '*' optics. I am a little bummed by the fact that their 24-70 isn't a '*' designated optic. But it was a smart move to re-use Tamron design with Pentax goodies on top to quickly get that vital FL out and available in the market. Given this they are aware of the market pressure so don't think they aren't.
Getting it right is the main thing at this point. I personally do not want a lame D-FA* design on the shelves. If they need more time so be it. Their 200/f4 Macro design was/is the best macro lens ever produced. So they know their sh!t very well. And if they are going to produce '*' optics like those then I can wait for another year.
I would rather get a "shut all up" D-FA*85 than have it early.
10-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #1139

Both the 50mm and 85mm interest me.

---------- Post added 10-17-17 at 02:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Both the 50mm and 85mm interest me.
Although i would enjoy having a limited ED lens designed for the most & sharp DOF with the least defraction possible for those occasions that call for it. For example when some one has a bunch of large stuff to sell as a group and needing everything to be more or less in focus.
10-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #1140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
@MrNPhoto:
Lenses, yes; but cameras are exceptions, rather than the rule. The new APS-C flagship might be such an exception, but they'll use a major trade show to present it... which means CP+. IMO.
I'm not aware of the K-S2 being presented ahead of time; IIRC it was announced at CP+.

---------- Post added 17-10-17 at 06:25 PM ----------

And Pentax has 6 FF lenses, 1 APS-C lens and 2 645 lenses on the roadmap. Your point being?
Just a response to someones comment, and my point is the ones for Olympus are actually a reality
Closed Thread