Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2017, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #1156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your chance of "seeing" these lenses this year probably will increase significantly if you use psychedelic drugs. Otherwise at this point my guess would be spring of next year.

10-19-2017, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #1157
bxf
Veteran Member

I'm not in the market for any new lenses, but I'm curious as to why it takes so long to produce one. Unless one is trying to create some new, radical design, why would it take a long time to construct a lens with a focal length that has been available for eons? One must assume that the reason is lack of dedicated resources and priorities.

I can understand the frustration felt by those who need something specific that is currently unavailable, but all they can do, other than switch teams, is wait. Those who simply want (as opposed to need) a lens, sometimes without even having a real intention of buying it, are making unnecessary negative noises.
10-19-2017, 04:52 AM   #1158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
bxf, the focal length is the same, but I doubt anything beyond the font used for the Pentax logo will be recycled from previous lenses.

I do agree that this and the other mentioned new primes seem to be arriving very slowly to the point that it may be concerning as to what Ricoh is really up to.
10-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #1159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'm not in the market for any new lenses, but I'm curious as to why it takes so long to produce one.
One word says it all: "produce".
A production line for a new lens needs two things, above all: investments, and a corporate plan that makes the investments worthwhile.
Making a sample for internal use is another thing. Even with limited resources, any R&D department can make one quite easily.
Lens design, with present day software and hardware, doesn't need large teams and difficult-to-obtain knowhow. Some knowledgeable operators, a computer controlled lathe, a 3d printer, and a glass workshop for grinding/polishing are most of what it takes to make a prototype.
See what a small korean company (Samyang) has done in the last years, or what has done in a much shorter time a group of chinese macro enthusiasts (Laowa).
Turn a prototype into an industrially produced item and make it profitable is a totally different thing.
Maybe Ricoh management has already decided about the short term strategy, but i wouldn't be so sure about it.

cheers

Paolo

10-19-2017, 05:49 AM   #1160
Pentaxian

I'm not in the market for any new lenses, but I'm curious as to why it takes so long to produce one. Unless one is trying to create some new, radical design, why would it take a long time to construct a lens with a focal length that has been available for eons? One must assume that the reason is lack of dedicated resources and priorities.

I can understand the frustration felt by those who need something specific that is currently unavailable, but all they can do, other than switch teams, is wait. Those who simply want (as opposed to need) a lens, sometimes without even having a real intention of buying it, are making unnecessary negative noises.
It is completely new designs so unless they license 3rd party designs they have to do it from zero.
10-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #1161
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It is completely new designs so unless they license 3rd party designs they have to do it from zero.
I'm inclined to agree with the following:
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Lens design, with present day software and hardware, doesn't need large teams and difficult-to-obtain knowhow. Some knowledgeable operators, a computer controlled lathe, a 3d printer, and a glass workshop for grinding/polishing are most of what it takes to make a prototype.
Starting from scratch, with today's computerized lens design technology, is probably nowhere near as intensive process as it used to be. I expect that resource dedication and production costs are bigger issues.
10-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #1162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Your chance of "seeing" these lenses this year probably will increase significantly if you use psychedelic drugs. Otherwise at this point my guess would be spring of next year.
PhotoPlus 2017 Photoplus - Event Map

Looks like Ricoh has a pretty small booth at the show in New York. About 1/6 the size of the Fuji booth and 1/4 the size of the Olympus booth. If we are going to see the lens this year, this is the last American show of any size for them to put it on display.

I'm not sure why Ricoh attends these shows. They don't really take advantage of what they offer.

10-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #1163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
PhotoPlus 2017 Photoplus - Event Map

Looks like Ricoh has a pretty small booth at the show in New York. About 1/6 the size of the Fuji booth and 1/4 the size of the Olympus booth. If we are going to see the lens this year, this is the last American show of any size for them to put it on display.

I'm not sure why Ricoh attends these shows. They don't really take advantage of what they offer.
The map of Salon de la Photo in Paris. Ricoh Imaging are on the top left.

10-19-2017, 06:28 AM   #1164
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me the slow progress is a sign, they are doing it right in the design stage, not just rushing product to market.
10-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #1165
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging are definitely not rushing Pentax products to market
10-19-2017, 06:40 AM   #1166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The map of Salon de la Photo in Paris. Ricoh Imaging are on the top left.
It is interesting to see how much larger booths like Panasonic are at the Paris show. Ricoh obviously has much better market share in France compared the North America. Maybe Ricoh will have the new glass on display there.
10-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #1167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Maybe Ricoh will have the new glass on display there.
only a week away - they've got to show some sign of progress, surely ... !!!?
10-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #1168
Pentaxian

... unnecessary negative noises.
UNN - what a useful expression. May I suggest to adopt it into the official canon (no pun intended) of Pentaxforums acronyms?
10-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #1169
Pentaxian

I'm inclined to agree with the following:

Starting from scratch, with today's computerized lens design technology, is probably nowhere near as intensive process as it used to be. I expect that resource dedication and production costs are bigger issues.
I think this is way overstating the help offered by computers. It only calculates, it doesn't designs and doesn't chose between compromises. Also, modern designs are way more complex than old school designs.

If we were talking Takumars 50mm, I might agree. Not in this context.
10-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #1170
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh Imaging are definitely not rushing Pentax products to market
In the last 1.5 years, all the DFA lenses have been released. Maybe they are resting.
Closed Thread