Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #1231
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
Pentax reps will be demoing the K1 at my local camera shop this weekend. Does anyone think they will know/share any new info on upcoming lenses?
Probably not. But you could ask about the drill bits.

10-20-2017, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #1232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Since Pentax will not all necessary lenses together in the near future, Sigma Pentax cooperation would solve all lens issues - not in the best way, but in a fast and very interesting way.
Sigma needs cameras, Pentax needs lenses. All you lens wishes would come true in an instant.
Sigma already say that Pentax isnt profitable enough, they will remain in their Canikony market.

10-20-2017, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #1233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sigma needs cameras, Pentax needs lenses. All you lens wishes would come true in an instant.
Some of us don't need Sigma lenses...
10-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #1234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Sigma already say that Pentax isnt profitable enough, they will remain in their Canikony market.
Their lenses are huge and heavy not welcomed to me as a pentax user .

10-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #1235
Pentaxian

Since Pentax will not all necessary lenses together in the near future, Sigma Pentax cooperation would solve all lens issues - not in the best way, but in a fast and very interesting way.
No way.
Pentax has NEVER got into a deal with Sigma afaik. Not even a blueprint. It isn't a reason but it is background nonetheless.
Pentax has always been (till now?) an optics company also producing camera, not the opposite. Your suggestion would make Pentax primarily a camera maker (not that they do it badly....). I would be VERY surprised if they'd inked such a deal.
10-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #1236

lenses to me look like popular "adult-film"-stars...nose from a swiss plastic surgeon, torso refined in the u.s.(i guess you know where this is going)

you can find them with that Studio-label or another... has always been this way... pentax borrowed lens designs from zeiss... zeiss borrowed multicoating recipes from pentax. Kenko produced for Tamron...

There where sigma lenses that had the same optical formula as cosinon lenses AFAIK... Cosinon and Vivatar was nearly the same...(kindofa Samyang - Rokinon thing...)
I bet some hair that most of those Sony FE-Zeiss lenses never saw a german engineers hands ...
Same with that Schneider Kreuznach Lenses, that Samsung used to "produce"(or better rebrand) ... those where actually PENTAX designs.

I guess the only company that only sells its own lens designs is Canon...(though they DO outsource production... AFAIK only L lenses get clipped together on japanese ground)

And its pretty much the same with todays Pentax lenses...
AFAIK only *(Star)-lenses and ltd. are 100% pentax design...

In the end I dont care about that, ... only thing that counts is that the IQ the lenses deliver is good.
(I already own a 85mm 1.4 DG HSM Sigma lenses. and by no means i would trade it for the Pentax FA 85mm 1.4, and i hardly doubt any PENTAX DFA 85 will interest me... be it a star lens or not)
10-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #1237
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So many misappropriations of history . . .

The number of Pentax outright rebrands is quite small. Nearly all of the DA consumer lenses are in-house designs; as written, the * and Limited (8 in all); the 645 designs. The recent Tamron zoom re-badges with coating and MF upgrades and no in-lens stabilization are the exception.

Every lens manufacturer aside from Leica (which eschewed coatings altogether) licensed SMC. Pentax lived on the license revenue for three decades. When patents expired and fees ended the company contracted to the point of being break-up bait.

And Leica suddenly decided coating lenses was a good idea.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-20-2017 at 05:10 PM.
10-21-2017, 02:14 AM   #1238
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

And Leica suddenly decided coating lenses was a good idea.
And realised Pentax designed wonderful lenses so got them to make the FA43 Limited (Digitalis owns one of these, IIRC).

10-21-2017, 02:44 AM   #1239
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
lenses to me look like popular "adult-film"-stars...nose from a swiss plastic surgeon, torso refined in the u.s.(i guess you know where this is going)

you can find them with that Studio-label or another... has always been this way... pentax borrowed lens designs from zeiss... zeiss borrowed multicoating recipes from pentax. Kenko produced for Tamron...

There where sigma lenses that had the same optical formula as cosinon lenses AFAIK... Cosinon and Vivatar was nearly the same...(kindofa Samyang - Rokinon thing...)
I bet some hair that most of those Sony FE-Zeiss lenses never saw a german engineers hands ...
Same with that Schneider Kreuznach Lenses, that Samsung used to "produce"(or better rebrand) ... those where actually PENTAX designs.

I guess the only company that only sells its own lens designs is Canon...(though they DO outsource production... AFAIK only L lenses get clipped together on japanese ground)

And its pretty much the same with todays Pentax lenses...
AFAIK only *(Star)-lenses and ltd. are 100% pentax design...

In the end I dont care about that, ... only thing that counts is that the IQ the lenses deliver is good.
(I already own a 85mm 1.4 DG HSM Sigma lenses. and by no means i would trade it for the Pentax FA 85mm 1.4, and i hardly doubt any PENTAX DFA 85 will interest me... be it a star lens or not)
In a general sense, lens design is a known quantity and lens designs for a specific focal length probably look similar. That doesn't mean that there is any specific "borrowing" going on. Where there is rebadging going on, it is known. If a company actually "borrows" from another company, they will get a patent infringement lawsuit pretty quickly. Pentax can't just take, say a Zeiss Milvus design and backward engineer it and release their own version. In fact, when they are designing their own 50mm lens, they need to be careful that it doesn't look too much like existing 50mm lenses that are under patent protection or they will have to pay a licensing fee.
10-21-2017, 05:23 AM   #1240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Some of us don't need Sigma lenses...
I did not say that one needs Sigma lenses, but at least Sigma makes moden lenses. Actually a handful new relesases per year.
And if you don't like big lenses, you may want to check out the size of the D-FA 50 mockup or recent Pentax FF lenses.

Putting it in positive terms. Selling a lot of any type of glass would help Pentax to concentrate on their own designs. Get the bright future from Sigma and redo the FA ltd style lenses Pentax way.
10-21-2017, 06:20 AM   #1241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get the bright future from Sigma and redo the FA ltd style lenses Pentax way.
The small set already exists: it is a KP with HD DA lt primes, actually.
10-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #1242

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
In a general sense, lens design is a known quantity and lens designs for a specific focal length probably look similar. That doesn't mean that there is any specific "borrowing" going on. Where there is rebadging going on, it is known. If a company actually "borrows" from another company, they will get a patent infringement lawsuit pretty quickly. Pentax can't just take, say a Zeiss Milvus design and backward engineer it and release their own version. In fact, when they are designing their own 50mm lens, they need to be careful that it doesn't look too much like existing 50mm lenses that are under patent protection or they will have to pay a licensing fee.
blabla... actually they did and they do.. there are contracts between those companies and those companies have agreements of consent and write contracts about what they will do and with which partner they will exchange technology, knowledge, etc.. conditions in such an agreement often include countertrades (or counter-deals if you wish so) or ... as you mentioned already ... license fees are paid.

For sure it is not very likely they would just take it.

And the backwards engineering, and modifiying to a certain point from where no patent takes effect is also possible ...

Talking about Zeiss, again: I am pretty sure Zeiss didn't dump the SMC recipe they got in exchange for taking lens design-knowledge over to PENTAX.
its now called "T*"...
There is one R&D relationship between Pentax an Zeiss, that is known to the public... that was in the 70ies.
(if they had something going on now or SIGMA has a relationship with "PENTAX-RICOH Imaging" who do you actually think, would tell you these days?)

Companies did exchange technology in the past and they do now.

And no most of the time you will not now, because companies don't want the consumers to know about "industrial arrangements".

And since most likely: neither you, me or any other forum addict on PF is actually named Ethan Hunt, Dark Dante, Astra or Kevin Mitnick... we will never know what is going on behind the curtains.

BUT KNOWING ALL THIS, THERE IS STILL ONE QUESTION LEFT:

Who cares ? ? ?
10-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #1243
Pentaxian

There isn't a Sigma lens I'd bother carrying from my house to the car. They are the anti-Pentax. MY current rule is, anything I buy has to be smaller than what it replaces in my camera bag. WIth the 60-250, 28-105, 100 macro and FAJ 18-35, there isn't a lot of room for anything Sigma.
10-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #1244

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
As i said earlier, 2017 is the year of the primes..and the future is bright (F-stop bright)

And to add to the never-ending discussion about size..I have never said its wrong if you like the small and compact stuff..Good for you..But these new badboys are needed in so many ways..Not only to meet the marked, but more important, they are made to get the best out of the amazing sensor in K-1 and future cameras So dont waste anymore energy arguing why this isnt needed because we have the good old ones...
new lenses are very welcome, especially if they feature way faster AF-drives then the lenses available now...
10-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #1245
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
new lenses are very welcome, especially if they feature way faster AF-drives then the lenses available now...
Yawn... and you need this because?
Closed Thread