Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 905 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #1246
Pentaxian

A partnership with Sigma, really?
Forgetting for a moment that it won't happen, and this isn't what Kenspo was talking about - it's not such a good idea. It would be similar to the two Tamrons, but extended to many more products.
I'm already reading, here on Pentaxforums - we were supposed to know such things! - how Pentax cannot design high end lenses, and how they're rebadging almost everything. Have them rebadge more, and you'd have nice, impartial gentlemen spreading stories all over the Internet, doing their best to make Pentax look like Yashica.

Pentax must have their own lenses, especially the high-end ones. They have to regain a little bit of the past recognition, "oh, it's a Pentax lens!" - enter the new D FA*s.
Getting them into a vicious circle of rebadging and cost cutting effectiveness is the same as killing them. Ricoh won't go there.

And Sigma is not interested in properly making cameras.

10-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #1247
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
one thing left out of the discussion is how future software will effect le s design. if pixel shift (or some evolution of it) is usable in the future in 100% of circumstances... suddenly every lens, past and present, looks a lot better. do the fa ltds need a refresh if better software/hardware/tech make them 25% better?
10-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #1248
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma backward engineers it’s mounts. They don’t license. Why would Pentax partner with the them? They get nothing.

In many cases a jointly-developed lens allows partners each to gain a different benefit - say, one learns a design technique and the other gains manufacturing space otherwise not available. Actually selling lenses is incidental to the agreement.

Zeiss ended the 70s agreement with Pentax after one lens, which I own, and fairly quickly updated the design.

Some people won’t admit what they don’t know and try to bluff their way through, but I don’t have to read it.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-21-2017 at 10:28 AM.
10-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #1249
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sigma backward engineers it’s mounts. They don’t license. Why would Pentax partner with the them? They get nothing.

In many cases a jointly-developed lens allows partners each to gain a different benefit - say, one learns a design technique and the other gains manufacturing space otherwise not available. Actually selling lenses is incidental to the agreement.

Zeiss ended the 70s agreement with Pentax after one lens, which I own, and fairly quickly updated the design.

Some people won’t admit what they don’t know and try to bluff their way through, but I don’t have to read it.
'nuff (FUD) said (not directed at Monochrome obviously).

10-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #1250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got a text from Tamra at the local Precision Camera in Austin. She doesn't have any details, but the Pentax reps are onsite talking about an upcoming announcement in a few weeks. I have the 43 ltd, 77 ltd, and 24-70 and the 100mm Macro. I've been itching for the 70-200mm but I've been dragging my feet as I have the old 50-135mm that barely gets used much....In anycase, it's nice to see I'll have some options....
10-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #1251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
one thing left out of the discussion is how future software will effect le s design. if pixel shift (or some evolution of it) is usable in the future in 100% of circumstances... suddenly every lens, past and present, looks a lot better. do the fa ltds need a refresh if better software/hardware/tech make them 25% better?
Pixel shift as currently structured will never be usable handheld. The tiny shifts of the sensor that it is doing to produce better color depth are meaningless if you are hands are shifting too (which they are). You could do some type of multiple image stacking to reduce noise/improve resolution. I think there are brands that do this in camera.
10-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #1252

QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
I just got a text from Tamra at the local Precision Camera in Austin. She doesn't have any details, but the Pentax reps are onsite talking about an upcoming announcement in a few weeks. I have the 43 ltd, 77 ltd, and 24-70 and the 100mm Macro. I've been itching for the 70-200mm but I've been dragging my feet as I have the old 50-135mm that barely gets used much....In anycase, it's nice to see I'll have some options....
I was at the local shop as well and they did mention a soft announcement next weekend with some other sort of announcement in November. Not a lot to go on but it does sound like something is coming. Also as I mentioned in the deals thread, they are offering a free grip with K1 purchase, 10% off any lens, and have some instant rebates on the newer zooms. Today and tomorrow on site only.

Last edited by Gregor; 10-21-2017 at 03:14 PM.
10-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #1253
Pentaxian

Lucky for you guys your dealers know some things happening about Pentax. Here they seem to have no idea about what's going on. You want a Pentax lens? Sorry we have to order it. It's probably because we're in the provinces and Pentax doesn't sell well here. I'm sure guys in Manila know but it's not being cascaded down to the provinces.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 10-21-2017 at 05:12 PM.
10-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #1254
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Lucky for you guys your dealers know some things happening about Pentax. Here they seem to have no idea about what's going on. You want a Pentax lens? Sorry we have to order it. It's probably because we're in the provinces and Pentax doesn't sell well here. I'm sure guys in Manila know but it's not being cascaded down to the provinces.
I don't have a camera shop within a 300 mile radius... so I couldn't even order a lens in person if I wanted to.

But I've never seen another person, ever, with a Pentax camera locally..

So I wouldn't worry too much. You're still ok.
10-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #1255
Pentaxian

If someone would round us up, there will be probably 20-30 of us Pentax users in the whole island consisting of 4 provinces with a lot of people.
10-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #1256
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
a soft announcement next weekend with some other sort of announcement in November
Interesting. I hope it's not just Theta or action camera stuff. We are a bit overdue for some Pentax DSLR-related news.
10-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #1257

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Interesting. I hope it's not just Theta or action camera stuff. We are a bit overdue for some Pentax DSLR-related news.
He also said they would have a lens under glass. I'm assuming it's the 50mm, but hoping it's the 85.
10-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #1258
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Lucky for you guys your dealers know some things happening about Pentax.
Of course they know, new products are presented to affiliated sellers, months before the announcement, but every seller is under non disclosure contract. There were a number of new products presented around summer time, although the brand names were not disclosed.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-21-2017 at 11:32 PM.
10-22-2017, 12:57 AM   #1259
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
He also said they would have a lens under glass. I'm assuming it's the 50mm, but hoping it's the 85.
So D FA*50/1.4 under glass in late October and formal announcement / release date announcement in November = 'this year'. Perhaps the same happens for the 85 in January, with formal announcement at CP+.

And I still think there's something coming that no one is talking about.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-22-2017 at 01:26 AM.
10-22-2017, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #1260
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And I still think there's something coming that no one is talking about.
I know that you are talking about , but I can't tell.
Closed Thread