Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #1516
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The problem with these new lenses is they are great for those who need them, but they mean nothing to the average shooter. Most of us are just willing to muddle along with ƒ2.8.
Is Pentax missing any "basic" FF lenses now? If not, it is time for them to be producing niche lenses so that niche users will also be attracted to the K-1 series .... assuming, of course, that serving that niche market makes financial sense {and portraits is one of the relatively large niches}

06-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #1517
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is Pentax missing any "basic" FF lenses now? If not, it is time for them to be producing niche lenses so that niche users will also be attracted to the K-1 series .... assuming, of course, that serving that niche market makes financial sense {and portraits is one of the relatively large niches}
At this point I’d say f/4 zooms are pretty basic and pretty missing.
06-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #1518
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There are two variable aperture zooms for FF. Not to mention no primes in the catalogue under 31 mm or variable aperture zooms under 28mm for FF. Some pretty big holes if you ask me. I'm getting along with my Rokinon 14 and may end up with a 20 or 24.

No variable aperture 10-28 lens.
No ƒ4 10-28 lenses
No ƒ4 70-200
No variable aperture 70-300
No telephoto primes over 300 ƒ3.
no 24-70 f-4 zooms,

It's actually easier to list what they have, because what they don't have is so much more. As well, a good 200-400 ƒ5.6 type zoom, there's a lot out there for other brands. Pentax won't have the bare minimum for another 3 or 4 years at least.

Last edited by normhead; 06-01-2018 at 06:01 PM.
06-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #1519
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
10-28 for FF?!!

06-01-2018, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #1520
Pentaxian

Are FA lenses inadequate? When I first came here four years ago, the pleading I was hearing was "I want a FF camera so my old film lenses can resume their standard duties"

Good To Be Back - PentaxForums.com

... now I'm hearing that DFA must be available for all functions.
06-01-2018, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #1521
Veteran Member

Well DFA will be needed if we start seeing 50 to 60 Megapixel FF cameras and 30+ Mpx APSC cameras. It will be possible to out resolve some of the FA lenses. My KP shows how bad my inexpensive Promaster 28-80mm is just looking at images SOOC. It was fine at 16Mpx.
06-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #1522
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DFA is the future obviously. I assume all of those posters who wanted a camera to use their old lenses the way they were meant to be used have bought at least one K-1 and are now happy. The DFA lenses are for the rest of us.

06-01-2018, 10:29 PM   #1523
Pentaxian

Are FA lenses inadequate? When I first came here four years ago, the pleading I was hearing was "I want a FF camera so my old film lenses can resume their standard duties"

Not being top notch by curent standards and being inadequate are two very different things.

Of course the D FA must be made, Pentax must have an 85mm f/1.4 in their lens line - telling people to go ebay for a second hand FA just doesn't cut it.
06-02-2018, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #1524
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

FA lenses fill in the gaps, but they aren't available new at this point (except for the FA 50) and they certainly have their weaknesses, one of which is screw drive motor -- with regard to sound, speed of performance, and preciseness of operation in lens motors are better at this point. That said, I'm not getting rid of my FA 31 or FA 77 because of that. They are excellent lenses, although the FA 77 can have pretty serious purple fringing in many situations.

I don't think it is reasonable to believe that Pentaxians should have to look for used copies of the Sigma 85mm f1.4 or FA *85 f1.4 in order to use this focal length on their K-1s. Those other lenses are quite good and the majority of folks who own one of them won't be interested in the DFA *85, but most of us don't own one and so it isn't an issue.
06-02-2018, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #1525
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Agreed - for hiking landscape photographers the weight and size advantage is definitely not something to be brushed off - I love my 70-200 f/2.8, but I love it less when climbing steep hills - and I've not got a w/a zoom yet, useful as it would be, because the 15-30 is just too big (as well as the problems with filters)
06-02-2018, 04:58 AM   #1526
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Agreed - for hiking landscape photographers the weight and size advantage is definitely not something to be brushed off - I love my 70-200 f/2.8, but I love it less when climbing steep hills - and I've not got a w/a zoom yet, useful as it would be, because the 15-30 is just too big (as well as the problems with filters)
I guess that is the difference in our budgets - I consider a lens without a constant minimum aperture to be an option .... which is why I have come to value higher ISO values,
06-02-2018, 05:31 AM   #1527
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
10-28 for FF?!!
Lenses in that range. Apparently the Sigma 12-24 is the lens to look for. I've never seen one for sale that I could actually buy. Always gone before I get there.
06-02-2018, 05:41 AM   #1528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess that is the difference in our budgets
Who said I could afford it?
06-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #1529
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Who said I could afford it?
No kidding, this new stuff is expensive. I bought the 28-105 and the Rokinon 14 2.8. Those may in the end be the only two lenses I buy just for the K-1, although many of the lenses I bought for my K-3 work on the K-1 as well. Once you have the number of legacy lenses I do, buying new glass becomes difficult.

I know what they have a chance to sell me if they make it. But who knows if I'd actually buy it. Spending money on duplicate lenses when you aren't selling pictures doesn't make any sense. For hobby use, I have fantastic lenses.
06-02-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #1530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I know what they have a chance to sell me if they make it. But who knows if I'd actually buy it. Spending money on duplicate lenses when you aren't selling pictures doesn't make any sense. For hobby use, I have fantastic lenses.
When I started I bought a lot of old lenses to try. I have a nice set of Takumars. But when I started getting serious I started replacing lenses with more modern ones. I do not really have any missing slots in my lens bag but over time I will replace something with something better. If it is available. An example would be the DA*60-250, the new 70-200 f/4 might be a replacement for it at some point. But for now the 60-250 holds that slot and the 70-200 will need to be clearly better.
I just replaced my FA 20-35 with the DFA 15-30. That was a hard decision because of the cost and the huge extra weight. But it has worked out and I'm delighted with the 15-30.
But for Ricoh to sell me much of anything new they will need to deliver a lens that clearly is superior to what is already in my bag at a cost I can afford after selling what I am replacing.
Closed Thread