Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #1711
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
...I'm sure that's not your intention
Do you have any evidence to support this conviction?

08-20-2018, 05:00 AM   #1712
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Do you have any evidence to support this conviction?
No... But I try to give people the benefit of the doubt
08-20-2018, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #1713
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
No... But I try to give people the benefit of the doubt
It's tough job but someone has to do it.
08-20-2018, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #1714
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's tough job but someone has to do it.
Happy it's not me

08-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #1715
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I would like to do it for you, but shipping from the US to Canada is expensive. I designed the baffle and can print as many as needed. The flat rate for shipping anything to Canada is 35 US Dollars. I think that is ridiculous when I can ship the same thing from Michigan to California for 7 US Dollars.
You can send it as a box valued under 400 USD for under 16 to Canada. 16 to Audstralia even! Just look at the mailing overseas page and select package or box and dig a bit.
08-21-2018, 01:05 AM   #1716
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Please does anyone know when the new 85* will be released?

I'm sure there are a lot of people like myself who have been waiting since 2017 and even longer for the new 85 to drop.

Any ideas from reliable source?

Thanks
08-21-2018, 03:21 AM   #1717
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chima chinda Quote
Please does anyone know when the new 85* will be released?

I'm sure there are a lot of people like myself who have been waiting since 2017 and even longer for the new 85 to drop.

Any ideas from reliable source?

Thanks
No one here knows, Chima Chinda, don't believe anything they say otherwise.

The company itself has mentioned 2019 …. http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

08-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #1718
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No one here knows, Chima Chinda, don't believe anything they say otherwise.

The company itself has mentioned 2019 …. http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
Thanks a lot!.
I've been hearing all kinds of things and my patience is sort of wearing out.
I decided to hold off from buying the Sigma 85 1.4 because of I wasn't sure when the Pentax 85* was coming but at this point I might just go ahead and get it.
08-21-2018, 10:38 AM - 2 Likes   #1719
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks a lot!.
I decided to hold off from buying the Sigma 85 1.4 because of I wasn't sure when the Pentax 85* was coming but at this point I might just go ahead and get it.
I'm of the opinion that if you need or really want a particular piece of equipment - in this case, as fast 85mm AF lens - then unless you know for sure that something is being released in the next few weeks, you're better off buying the best currently available model that you can afford right now, and getting use and enjoyment from it. Time waiting is time wasted.

There's nothing to stop you selling the Sigma next year if you decide you still want the new Pentax lens, and you'll have had all that time to take wonderful photographs. Any losses incurred can be viewed as an extremely-reasonable "rental" fee
08-21-2018, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #1720
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks a lot!.
The DFA*85 will slaughter that Sigma in performance, I'm guessing.

But I think you're building your portfolio for paid jobs, right?

Buy it secondhand like I did a couple of months ago, use it to get the shots you need, and as Mike says, sell it when suitable further down the line for not a lot less.

08-21-2018, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #1721
Veteran Member

decided to hold off from buying the Sigma 85 1.4 because of I wasn't sure when the Pentax 85* was coming but at this point I might just go ahead and get it.
Go get the Sigma if you need a 85mm. It's the kind of lens that won't loose much value over time.
08-21-2018, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #1722
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Buy it secondhand like I did a couple of months ago
And that, of course, is the best advice of all. Depreciation should be minimal on an already-used lens, especially if kept in good condition. Incurred losses at resale time would be small indeed...
08-21-2018, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #1723
Pentaxian

If someone NEEDS 85 now, you should just go for it, because it can be more than 1 yrs from now. Used lenses don’t loose so much value. But I sicerely fo think that DFA will have little impact on this matter, most of older 85 are still quite expensive, just because there is no modern alternative right now. Except A*85 which is collector item almost already.. just my 2 cent.
08-21-2018, 10:18 PM   #1724
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
... Except A*85 which is collector item almost already.. just my 2 cent.
It's a bit more than that
It's one of the best (if not the best!) MF lens Pentax has ever made.
A touch too sharp for portrait use, IMHO, but still a great photographic tool for practical use. On top of that, it's a pleasure to handle... which positively affects the number and the quality of the pictures you take with it. I find that the mechanical quality has an impact on the actual outcome of the photographic process, that works its magic even on people who would never call themselves "collectors".

I believe the A Star's are a very special bunch of lenses. It's a real pity the prices are so high. I wish I had bought the 135mm when prices where at their lowest

08-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #1725
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
It's a bit more than that
It's one of the best (if not the best!) MF lens Pentax has ever made.
A touch too sharp for portrait use, IMHO, but still a great photographic tool for practical use. On top of that, it's a pleasure to handle... which positively affects the number and the quality of the pictures you take with it. I find that the mechanical quality has an impact on the actual outcome of the photographic process, that works its magic even on people who would never call themselves "collectors".

I believe the A Star's are a very special bunch of lenses. It's a real pity the prices are so high. I wish I had bought the 135mm when prices where at their lowest
Well, it is almost what I ment. But still, really rare still. And in good shape it won’t go down in prize. Only up.
Closed Thread