Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #1771
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having released the DFA 50 1.4, the design philosophy is pretty clear. Do you really need a mockup to underused what the design parameters. are going o be. Pentax has decided there are more than enough average Pentax lenses out their. Their current focus is DA* and DFA* lenses. Modern lenses for modern sensors.

The DFA 85 1.4 will be to 85s what the DFA* 50 1.4 is to 50s.

10-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #1772
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Maybe they got out of tape;]
Ah, yeah - that would be it - silly of me to build my hopes up...
10-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #1773
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm interested that there is still not even a mock-up of the 85/1.4 on display at Photokina, despite it being scheduled for next year
I wouldn't read too much into it.
Ricoh decided to have a minimal presence, and the issue is likely with the Photokina itself - rather than some new strategy. I'm sure the CP+ will be a normal edition.
They couldn't even get their normal location - which was occupied by Sirui.
10-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #1774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Having released the DFA 50 1.4, the design philosophy is pretty clear. Do you really need a mockup to underused what the design parameters. are going o be. Pentax has decided there are more than enough average Pentax lenses out their. Their current focus is DA* and DFA* lenses. Modern lenses for modern sensors.

The DFA 85 1.4 will be to 85s what the DFA* 50 1.4 is to 50s.
You'd almost think they weren't interested in attracting traffic to the stand, wouldn't you?

10-17-2018, 09:10 AM - 4 Likes   #1775
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
You'd almost think they weren't interested in attracting traffic to the stand, wouldn't you?
I think they have come to understand the limited value of attracting traffic to the stand and have responded accordingly. The mock ups of the 50 even here on the forum attracted a ton of negative posts. Others are much less generous in their commentary on other sites.

If you give the nay sayers a chance to take you down they will. Now that the 50 is out and it's a stellar lens, not one of the nay sayers has had the guts to come on here and say "I was wrong." There's no sense in trying to please some people, and personally, I wish Pentax would stop trying.

Last edited by normhead; 10-17-2018 at 09:29 AM.
10-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #1776
Pentaxian

They never admit that, do they? They'd find the next thing to complain about, and go on and on and on.

Pentax should continue to please us.
10-17-2018, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #1777
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They never admit that, do they? They'd find the next thing to complain about, and go on and on and on.

Pentax should continue to please us.
They can say Nay all they want. I have the lens, and for once I know better*.

* So do they, since they’ve shut up except for the specious Coma and LoCa arguments.

10-17-2018, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #1778
Forum Member

I think they have come to understand the limited value of attracting traffic to the stand and have responded accordingly. The mock ups of the 50 even here on the forum attracted a ton of negative posts. Others are much less generous in their commentary on other sites.

If you give the nay sayers a chance to take you down they will. Now that the 50 is out and it's a stellar lens, not one of the nay sayers has had the guts to come on here and say "I was wrong." There's no sense in trying to please some people, and personally, I wish Pentax would stop trying.
as if y. anybody who formerly was a "Full-Frame nay sayer" would now admit that he/she was wrong... LOL... isnt it my friends?

I remember all the sh1te I read on all the forums... all the oldbones where talkin like "uuhh...ahaaam ... nooho.. we dont need that" or: " FF stands for fool frame"
only a few people who got dropped or banned later on complained that they want one and that it would be a good idea.
twas the same on every forum startin at dpreview-- over comments on photo-mag-sites to pentaxf.

And now... everybody seems to feel entitled as a FF Pro. - two-faced talk all the time. - they are demanding Zeiss glass and at the same time those basterds say 1.199Euro is too much for a lens that could actually sit only one step below a 3.000Euro Otus lens on the winner's podium...

Thos. f.heads even tried to twist the deal between Tokina and Pentax and say its vice versa... like pentax would not be able to create own lens designs...
The same weirdos stating all the lenses come actually from Tamron(and Tokina which they often confuse with each other)...
and dont have any clue what the *-signature stands for...

according to my knowledge, 70-200, 150-450, as well as 28-105 and DFA* 50mm 1.4 are all original Pentax design whilst the 70-200 being the only one wearing a *-sign at first since its original pentax design PLUS a premium(very fast-->rather low aperture throughout) lens...

I sincerely hope people stop nagging about the prices for DFA* glass. I understand the need for cheaper glass also somehow.
But fellas, there is no sense in buying a 36MP FF without low-pass filter and then only put on oldnmouldy or cheap glass...
We need quality glass since this is where the train should go for pentax.

And the DFA* 50mm 1.4 delivers stellar results... and the DFA* 85mm 1.(?4) will do the same no matter if some people at dpreview are whining because they dont get it for free as a present.
10-17-2018, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #1779
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They can say Nay all they want. I have the lens, and for once I know better*.

* So do they, since they’ve shut up except for the specious Coma and LoCa arguments.
I don't have the lens, but the comparison images have been self explanatory. I have many times run tests where I couldn't really recommend the front runner, because many other lenses did so unexpectedly well. Not in this case. In this case, living on a pension, I just can't justify spending that much on lens, no matter how much better it is. But, if I suddenly inherit a pile of money from a rich uncle I didn't know about, I'll pick one up.

---------- Post added 10-17-18 at 01:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
And now... everybody seems to feel entitled as a FF Pro. - two-faced talk all the time. - they are demanding Zeiss glass and at the same time those basterds say 1.199Euro is too much for a lens that could actually sit only one step below a 3.000Euro Otus lens on the winner's podium...
The site I saw that compared them refused to say which was better of the two, so maybe it's one step below an Otus, maybe it's not. I can't remember word for word but my recollection was more raw resolution from the Otis, but much smoother transitions and a more pleasing appearance from the Pentax.

And actually, I'm still not impressed with FF. As things stand right now, if i had to sell camera gear, the K-1 would be the first to go. It's "nice to have" not "have to have" and didn't cost a lot because I already had lenses for it, but there have been many times, I would have better images if I'd taken my K-3, based on higher resolution in the crop area, for an image that had to be cropped on the K-1.

So, I'm still saying, I don't need an FF camera. But it is nice to have.

Last edited by normhead; 10-17-2018 at 11:01 AM.
10-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #1780
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The FF debate is really a version of Goldilocks and the Three (or Six) Sensor Formats.

The range of ILC sensor sizes from 1" to micro 4/3rds to APS-C to full 35 mm to crop 645 to full 645 etc. etc. create a bathtub curve in trade-offs. Most photographers might agree that a 1" sensor may be "too small" to get clean images. And most photographers might agree that a full 645 sensor may be "too large" to carry. But the middle sweet spot depends on each photographer's tastes -- whether lighter weight and reach is sweeter than low noise and shallow DoF.

Personally, I love the K-1 but then I'm more of a wide-to-normal FoV photographer who doesn't mind carrying 7 kg of camera and lenses on an all-day hike. But I can see why others would prefer tiny lenses on a tiny body with a tiny sensor.
10-17-2018, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #1781
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The FF debate is really a version of Goldilocks and the Three (or Six) Sensor Formats.

The range of ILC sensor sizes from 1" to micro 4/3rds to APS-C to full 35 mm to crop 645 to full 645 etc. etc. create a bathtub curve in trade-offs. Most photographers might agree that a 1" sensor may be "too small" to get clean images. And most photographers might agree that a full 645 sensor may be "too large" to carry. But the middle sweet spot depends on each photographer's tastes -- whether lighter weight and reach is sweeter than low noise and shallow DoF.

Personally, I love the K-1 but then I'm more of a wide-to-normal FoV photographer who doesn't mind carrying 7 kg of camera and lenses on an all-day hike. But I can see why others would prefer tiny lenses on a tiny body with a tiny sensor.
Ya, I tend to be like that, but when Tess takes the Q, there are times when I wonder why I go through all the trouble. We did a series of landscape comparisons a while ago Q-S1, K-5, K-3, K-1, For what we were shooting, and the way we were displaying it (4k monitor) the Q was just as good as anything. There are other things to shoot, and there are different ways to display images and I could easily devise a test showing the Q to be completely inadequate, but just walking around every day landscape etc. a Q does very well if for no particular purpose other than viewing on a computer monitor or 4k TV.

And actually, the times we've stretched the limits of what we need to print large, we've never actually had a large size print that was unpleasant to look at because of lack of resolution. People might argue they would have looked better with more resolution, but people will argue about almost anything subjective.

Which leads to the question "Should we govern our lives by the standards of the most demanding individuals?"

Or should we acknowledge those standards and go "pfffft ?"

Last edited by normhead; 10-17-2018 at 12:10 PM.
10-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #1782
Veteran Member

I hope some of this tech Zeiss to launch world's first lenses with "Transparent Aluminum" ALON elements, rumour suggests - DIY Photography will get into pentax lenses sooner than later cause i really dont like this trend of lenses getting huge and heavy. Also, where is the DA 35 1.4
10-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #1783
Forum Member

So, I'm still saying, I don't need an FF camera. But it is nice to have.
A brilliant example, why (not we, me or you)but much more the brand "PENTAX" or "Ricoh-Imaging",
should seriously think about becoming way better in VIDEO:

- way higher bitrates
- FullHD @120p
- 4k @(at least 30p)
- better video AF-C(better AF.C even for OVF shooting would also be welcome)
- log feature...
- Tilt'n'swivel display to become STANDARD.
- other memory media or shoot/record to a harddisk directly via USB-C

People who have a bit of money(and therefore buy some ILC instead of a compact) weigh in everything they read of, in some mag.
And admit it or not... who wouldnt love to have better video... oh god forbid... you might use it.

Since I bought my Sony RX100 IV, i am really getting into video... bought a chinese gimbal for it
and a rode mic...
(for recording externally, cause that darn little clicker aint got a mic-in. - actually the only backdraw i can see so far in this compact digital)

And now I am doing some really cool stuff with "Da Vinci - Resolve" which is the best - i say THE BEST video editing software for enthusiasts...and pros(up to some point i guess).
(!!! BTW --> Cross-platform--- Linux, Windows, Mac) Video Editing Software EVER!!
--- ITS also free as in "free beer"... (without the pro-features... and its already very pro without them).. just grab it, - watch a short tutorial... its so godd... easy and understandable very unlike some dubious applications that cost a goldmine and just make you feel puzzled when trying around.

Since the KP already has a bit better video-bitrate... I can only encourage everybody who also owns a KP and a DC or PLM lens... to buy yourself one of those cheaper chinese gimbals...
You will have so much fun with video so smooth and without any shake...

geez, i gotta stop,

the bottom line is:

People just buy into or want something because they THINK "GOSH THAT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE"... not because they need it.
and...(looking at myself) later on, they might fall in love with what they got, promote it and spread the word.

Cause i wrote about "DaVinci Resolve"
....Blackmagic came to my mind... Those guys really make some decent video gear and stuff...
since everybody seems to start cooperating now... (panasonic, leica, sigma ... Samsung...Fuji)..

IMHO Ricoh-Imaging should really consider searching for help .. talking about video... And when i take a look who and what is there... Blackmagic would be the best partner in crime for sure.
10-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #1784
Pentaxian

no reason to put gear actually head to head. for some it seems to be really important to get what it THE thing what is generally sayed to be best. but what is best for YOU? What works, what you want to carry with you and what keeps you shooting. like painter for example, ofcourse best brushes and paint gives to you possibly best outcome, but for some things they are not needed or even cant be used. sometimes you need to mix things. or not to paint at all, but do charcoal.

that said, I’m super happy with my K-1 and big modern zooms, and I’m seriously considering of selling my Fa 35 43(maybe not this one)77 and DA*55 to get DFA*50..
10-17-2018, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #1785
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
I hope some of this tech Zeiss to launch world's first lenses with "Transparent Aluminum" ALON elements, rumour suggests - DIY Photography will get into pentax lenses sooner than later cause i really dont like this trend of lenses getting huge and heavy. Also, where is the DA 35 1.4
So man made sapphire lenses?
Closed Thread