Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #106
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
SMC was off patent. FA43 is a 1993 lens; FA77 is a 1999 lens; FA31 is a 2001 lens. The amortization schedule for tooling for lenses is 10 years; the R&D had been recovered.

* Recall that Ricoh immediately invested in new evaporators associated with HD. To make that a good business decision they had to have a new, patented coating.
Small remark - FA43 is 1997.

02-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #107
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I feel you. The FA Ltds are marker of a specific time and place in the history of Pentax, and were designed to appeal to a different sensibility than what we have now. If Ricoh made D FA versions they might be Starlets, but never Princesses.
FA Ltds were designed not to make Pentax any better, or to appeal to sensibilities, but to promote Asahi's coatings of the late 1990s. It is as crude truth as that. If Asahi really wanted to help Pentax, they could have invested more heavily in AF and lens motors to match Nikon and Canon tech of the same era, but they did not. They were interested in a new round of milking money for their coating application, which up to that time was industry-leading.

First wave of SMC was introduced some 20 years before, and Asahi worked on new updates, for renewal of patents. They have chosen odd focal lengths, gave design work to a young Asahi employee, chosen exotic glass, put all the latest coatings on those lenses, and pulled out a very good PR story.

Do you think, even for a moment, that anyone would ever make any effort to report on a new lens design (?!?) as it were a national holiday sort of thing? No. But such odd stories are quite common in the PR industry, where events are pre-made, and articles ordered, like we order a meal in the restaurant. And then they are served to you. I would say 90% or articles in media today are pre-made exactly like that. That is why we have crisis in the media world‚ very little we read is real or genuine. Most of it is pre-fabrication.

31mm, 43mm and 77mm — focal lengths so weird no one hardly ever considered, least tried to make because they are superfluous. But because of it they were suddenly filling the air and pages of the photo industry, with a ready story and really good images. That is, but few actually understood, real heroes were not FA limiteds. Real heroes were Asahi's new patents and Asahi did it all to lure in new patent customers.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-27-2017 at 10:03 PM.
02-28-2017, 12:32 AM   #108
Pentaxian

I'd like to see some moderate aperture high quality lenses (excellent optics and good build quality). They can call it what they want, even D FA Limiteds - I wouldn't care if they aren't the FAs anymore.
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Questions are too specific, too technical, and too widespread. Company cannot really open up, because they are, like, in front of a firing squad comprised of 40 guys aiming all across their body.
For better insights, PF should invite them to a coffee, and talk about a few subjects only, only few, and let them come forward with their thoughts. Imaging Resources manages to do that to a better degree.
That's my point.
But then, some will be upset because they didn't ask about this and that...
Many of the questions on the question-gathering thread were IMO accusatory. Fortunately, Adam&Co did a nice job at filtering them out.
02-28-2017, 04:21 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The FA limiteds will still be here for awhile. I am sure that in three or four years, when Ricoh gets around to it, they will look at either updating them or replacing them with something with in lens motor and more modern design.

Traditional Pentaxians aren't bothered by screw drive sound, but it certainly is not what the market expects at this point and while it keeps noise down, it probably limits the preciseness and speed of auto focus tracking. I love the FA 31 and 77 and will keep using them, even if Pentax replaces them, but I am sure having a complete "modern" line up is what Pentax will shoot for in the long run.

02-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #110
bxf
Pentaxian

One almost gets the impression that suddenly, the FA Limiteds are not so good.

Can we agree that improvements in lenses these days come in small increments? There is no new magical technology that makes older lenses obsolete. If we are to accept the notion that the FA Limiteds have a deserved reputation due to some "special" or specific attributes, then there is nothing in recent developments that invalidates that reputation. Screw drive may be relatively noisy and slow, but these shortcomings are not significant in all shooting situations, and they have zero effect on IQ.
02-28-2017, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
One almost gets the impression that suddenly, the FA Limiteds are not so good.

Can we agree that improvements in lenses these days come in small increments? There is no new magical technology that makes older lenses obsolete. If we are to accept the notion that the FA Limiteds have a deserved reputation due to some "special" or specific attributes, then there is nothing in recent developments that invalidates that reputation. Screw drive may be relatively noisy and slow, but these shortcomings are not significant in all shooting situations, and they have zero effect on IQ.
I'm not sure one can agree with your last sentence. Screw-driven focus mechanisms are less precise than stepper motors or ring ultrasonic motors: the quantum of shifting is (much) bigger and there is necessarily a bit of play among the various elements of the cinematic chain.
02-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #112
bxf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm not sure one can agree with your last sentence. Screw-driven focus mechanisms are less precise than stepper motors or ring ultrasonic motors: the quantum of shifting is (much) bigger and there is necessarily a bit of play among the various elements of the cinematic chain.
OK, I can agree with that, though the severity of these factors can be debated. Perhaps it would have been more accurate if I had said "... they have zero effect on the qualities that have made these lenses highly regarded"
02-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #113
Veteran Member

No sign of an upcoming 200mm macro

02-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #114
ogl
Pentaxian

Sad news - no development of DA lenses.
02-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Kenspo hinted a bit that there might be some surprises later... I hope for two things to happen in near future- AF adjustment to be made more advanced feature, and PLM/electronic apreture updates for some of DA lenses.
02-28-2017, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #116
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Kenspo hinted a bit that there might be some surprises later... I hope for two things to happen in near future- AF adjustment to be made more advanced feature, and PLM/electronic apreture updates for some of DA lenses.
But it's not new DA lenses Kenspo is not the authority for me.
03-01-2017, 04:56 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
But it's not new DA lenses Kenspo is not the authority for me.
The DA wide zoom is still on the roadmap and the DA 55-300 plm appeared out of the blue. There will probably be more plm variable zooms based on altered older lens designs.
03-01-2017, 05:28 AM   #118
Veteran Member

There is one DA lens on the roadmap. I know, it has been there for five years, which is seriously frustrating, but the fact that it's still on the roadmap means they haven't given up on it. And updates of existing DA lenses have not usually been on the roadmap, to my knowledge. So we may well see e.g. the DA 35 and 50 updated with PLM, WR and HD out of the blue.
03-01-2017, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
ooh ooh ooh!! It's a pony.. isn't it?? A tiny pony. And an optional tiny saddle.
Li'l Sabastian?!
03-01-2017, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Li'l Sabastian?!
Li'l Sebastian is a mini horse, not a pony! Only an Eagletonian could make such a basic mistake