Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 273 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2017, 09:11 PM - 2 Likes   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645 system future is the problem for Ricoh IMO

Refreshing 35/3.5 and discontinued DFA/DA25 for last 2.5 years. Very slow developing of something new. Two news zooms - when and which?
No new primes in 645 roadmap.

645D was announced in 2010, 645Z - in 2014...The normal cycle for MF camera is 4 year.
Will we see new developed body with new bigger sensor? Big doubts about it...
New Fuji camera + 3 lenses are not system yet, but Fuji is strong player and could make GFX the real competitor for all MF brands very soon.
With so low prices for MF market and very compact size.

It seems to me that FF takes away too many efforts and resources.
Very sad APS-C roadmap. Solitary Wide-angle zoom without any info during 5 years.
No new limited lenses - DA or DFA.

I'm very interested why some other brands put in roadmap concrete focal length and aperture of new lens, Pentax and Ricoh never did it.
Does it mean that they even don't know what they plan to develop?

I don't see in K-mount roadmap any new primes from 100 till 200 mm. Something like 105 or 135 fast lens and 180-200 macro.
No 400 or 600 mm.

The perspectives of attraction of new users with so slow developing of DFA lenses and without new 645 primes are rather vague.

02-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #17
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
According to our interview, there may also be some hidden surprises
Surprises are rather strange policy of photo brand. Only concrete info could attract new users and keep old.

Is there any info about GR?
02-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #18

Not sure why you are complaining about the APSC lenses when there's a very large range of them already and all the new D-FA lenses will of course also work equally well on a K3/KP/K5 etc. I can understand complaints about the 645 range which could certainly do with more modern autofocus lenses.

The truth is that Pentax lost huge market share when it failed to recognise the importance of full frame digital for 15 years and many many Pentaxians defected to Nikon and Canon who offered what they wanted. It is thus vital that Pentax create a viable full frame digital system as quickly as possible. This has 3 effects:

1. Gives high end APSC schooters an incentive/opportunity to upgrade while maintaining backwards compatibility with existing lenses
2. Steals market share back from Canikon because the K1 is frankly in almost all respects a better camera than anything they make and cheaper too
3. Provides credibility to the brand by offering what is unquestionably a professional grade system. Many pro landscape, wedding and portrait photographers will find the K1 system appealing provided the lenses are there.

The truth is that the development of the full frame system will help secure the future of Pentax which is to the benefit of everyone who loves the brand whether they shoot full frame or not.

Jonlg
02-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

K-mount still, AFAIK. But that's all I know.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. So camera lens, camera body, or camera accessory? Looking even more forward to this interview. Any idea when it will be on the front page?

02-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Considering the 70-300 on the roadmap, Does that mean an entry level FF camera is round the corner?

The broad band for the third DFA* prime is almost like they cant decide if they should make a 35/1.4 (which will be more popular) or a 24/1.4 which will fill a hole. They should make both and Roadmap it IMO!
02-23-2017, 10:15 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, you've done the interview already?
Yes, and with 4 reps this time!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2017, 10:24 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-01 successor with KP imaging pipeline.

02-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, and with 4 reps this time!
When we can see the interview ?
02-23-2017, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Q tele-macro lens?
It would be better for them to release any K mount lens instead.
K1 is hot hot hot. Q is not.

---------- Post added 02-24-2017 at 04:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
K-01 successor with KP imaging pipeline.
35/1.4 lens I hope.
Drop a bomb Ricoh! 35, 50, 85, beautiful and new, all in f/1.4. And then let those K1s fly off the shelves!
02-23-2017, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If they tell you it won't be a surprise will it?
Surprises are eventually told. So Adam might as well tell it now.
Nothing is achieved by keeping other people blood pressure up.

Adam think of all the good you will be doing by speaking up

Speak up Adam. The first Adam did not speak up when he was offered the fruit.
02-24-2017, 12:55 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'm very interested why some other brands put in roadmap concrete focal length and aperture of new lens, Pentax and Ricoh never did it.
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
The broad band for the third DFA* prime is almost like they cant decide if they should make a 35/1.4 (which will be more popular) or a 24/1.4 which will fill a hole. They should make both and Roadmap it IMO!
I assume they are not being specific for competitive reasons. Potentially third-party manufacturers could either be scared off by Pentax announcing something well ahead of time, or they could potentially preempt Pentax before they come out with their lens. Though I guess time-to-market and potentially smaller market for Pentax lenses could work against my model.

I'm a bit surprised that Sigma hasn't come out with Pentax version of newer full-frame lenses that they already have for other mounts. I know there's a minimum production size, but it seems they would have more sales opportunity over the past year given that Pentax has full-frame gaps.
02-24-2017, 01:18 AM   #27
Pentaxian

According to our interview, there may also be some hidden surprises
Let me guess... surprises which they can't talk about at this moment?
They'd rather part with a kidney than with a piece of advance information.
02-24-2017, 01:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I assume they are not being specific for competitive reasons. Potentially third-party manufacturers could either be scared off by Pentax announcing something well ahead of time, or they could potentially preempt Pentax before they come out with their lens. Though I guess time-to-market and potentially smaller market for Pentax lenses could work against my model.

I'm a bit surprised that Sigma hasn't come out with Pentax version of newer full-frame lenses that they already have for other mounts. I know there's a minimum production size, but it seems they would have more sales opportunity over the past year given that Pentax has full-frame gaps.
Sigma is flat chat trying to keep up demand, it would be crazy from them to tool up for a production run of Pentax mount lenses that will sit on the shelf for years. Pentax lenses will be better hopefully anyway.
02-24-2017, 05:26 AM   #29
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
No surprises. The profitability for Pentax lenses is rather low and it's simpler not to produce new K-mount lenses.
02-24-2017, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
645 system future is the problem for Ricoh IMO

Refreshing 35/3.5 and discontinued DFA/DA25 for last 2.5 years. Very slow developing of something new. Two news zooms - when and which?
No new primes in 645 roadmap.

645D was announced in 2010, 645Z - in 2014...The normal cycle for MF camera is 4 year.
Will we see new developed body with new bigger sensor? Big doubts about it...
New Fuji camera + 3 lenses are not system yet, but Fuji is strong player and could make GFX the real competitor for all MF brands very soon.
With so low prices for MF market and very compact size.

It seems to me that FF takes away too many efforts and resources.
Very sad APS-C roadmap. Solitary Wide-angle zoom without any info during 5 years.
No new limited lenses - DA or DFA.

I don't see in K-mount roadmap any new primes from 100 till 200 mm. Something like 105 or 135 fast lens and 180-200 macro.
No 400 or 600 mm.

The perspectives of attraction of new users with so slow developing of DFA lenses and without new 645 primes are rather vague.

Completely agree, and i'm selling all i have in 645.