Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 273 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #91
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That's how you give a proper interview:

CP+ 2017 - Sigma interview: 'We?ve learned that some customers require exceptional lens performance': Digital Photography Review

Sigma sends one person (the CEO, none less) and gives a lot of information (like that they are planning native E-mount lenses), Ricoh sends four and says practically nothing.

Why even bother interviewing them ...
The issue isn't entirely the interviewee but of the interviewer. The questions the PF interviewer provided were very pointed and direct.. 20 questions interrogation style. The questions the DPR interviewer provided were more friendly... as if it was a discussion between two people.

02-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Yes, but it's our questions.
02-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #93
mee
Veteran Member

Could (Should) have fluffed them to be less pointed..
02-27-2017, 04:33 PM - 2 Likes   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
the motley crew of us PF members
Hey, I resemble that remark!
QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
The PF interviews play their role in ferreting out info
Which is an important point. Unlike the IR interview, where there could be an understanding, explicit or implicit, about the questions that will be asked and the tone of the interview; the PF interview is more likely to go in directions the Ricoh representatives would rather not discuss. After all, we PF members take considerable pride in doing a Perry Mason impression, for Adam and Albert to ignore what we want and perform a charm offensive to get a more relaxed interview that only appears to be more open, isn't going to make anyone happy, either.

02-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Could (Should) have fluffed them to be less pointed..
He (they) did it...

I can't figure out any way of doing it better; there's nothing much that can be done, as long as Adam&Co are insisting in getting answers to our way too specific questions.
02-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #96
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
He (they) did it...

I can't figure out any way of doing it better; there's nothing much that can be done, as long as Adam&Co are insisting in getting answers to our way too specific questions.
I can think of ways to do this in a more discussionary manner instead of What about X and now What about Y and now oh What about Z.

Instead.. Pentax has had good success with their weather sealed DSLRs can you talk about the value of ruggedness in a DSLR? (Then follow up with an actual user question) And with respect to the strength of the ruggedness in Pentax DSLRs, has there been a movement towards making the K mount prime lens lineup just as rugged with the adoption of weather sealing?

Ask like that.. it is more of a discussion in a coffee shop than basement interrogation.. even include some non-questions, just remarks and let them respond as breathers between questions.
02-27-2017, 04:50 PM - 2 Likes   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He (they) did it...

I think we got a lot more out of this interview than I've seen in previous interviews with Ricoh. Here's what I took away,

QuoteQuote:
A K-3ii successor is in the works

The K-1 and KP will have real video SR

Mirrorless is not in the works in the near future

Image Sync will be improved

The Q line is on hold because of limited resources, but will still be developed, including the long awaited macro.

Future GR cameras will be fixed focal length.

PLM motors only work with lightweight lenses

There is a recognised demand for compact D-FA lenses, and that's going to be addressed

They're currently researching automatic lens calibration and putting flash and GPS in the same camera, but don't expect anything soon.

The new D FA 50 will be out within the next 12 months, the 85 likely won't be.
That's pretty dang comprehensive for a company to just discuss with the public.

02-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #98
Veteran Member

In 2004 Pentax revamped the FA 100mm ƒ2.8 Macro into the D FA 100mm ƒ2.8 Macro WR which shows it is not out of the realm of possibilities to modernize the FA LTD's in the same way. The D FA 100mm ƒ2.8 Macro WR is still reasonably priced. Pentax/Ricoh should do to the FA 31/43/77 LTD's what they did with the FA 100mm Macro and be done with it.
02-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
In 2004 Pentax revamped the FA 100mm ƒ2.8 Macro into the D FA 100mm ƒ2.8 Macro WR which shows it is not out of the realm of possibilities to modernize the FA LTD's in the same way. The D FA 100mm ƒ2.8 Macro WR is still reasonably priced. Pentax/Ricoh should do to the FA 31/43/77 LTD's what they did with the FA 100mm Macro and be done with it.
They added weathersealing, revamped the shell, shrank the filter thread and removed the aperture ring, focus limiter and focus clamp. Did I miss anything?

The shells of the FA Limiteds are already metal, they already use fairly small filter threads, so they could probably just add weather sealing and remove the aperture rings. Is that an upgrade worth paying for? I'm not sure.
02-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #100
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
They added weathersealing, revamped the shell, shrank the filter thread and removed the aperture ring, focus limiter and focus clamp. Did I miss anything?

The shells of the FA Limiteds are already metal, they already use fairly small filter threads, so they could probably just add weather sealing and remove the aperture rings. Is that an upgrade worth paying for? I'm not sure.
Exactly. And still use screw drive on top of that? Well, no.
Everyone in their right state of mind, and with a bit of technical competence, understands that FA limiteds cannot be modernised to today's standards without a complete redesign, and after that redesign, they are not FA limiteds anymore.

Instead of that futile effort, we can have a modern DFA*50/1.4, which — lo and behold — is coming, and is a far better option for users who wish to come from other systems.
02-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What no one seems to accept is

the FA Limiteds are* IN PRODUCTION and there is inventory held for sale.

The inventory of FA 50 and 100 Macros had run down, so rather than doing a new FA batch, they were slightly revamped to D FA WR.

* DK how long the planned production run was / is but Ricoh restarted production 01/2016.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-28-2017 at 08:09 AM.
02-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #102
Banned

He (they) did it...

Questions are too specific, too technical, and too widespread. Company cannot really open up, because they are, like, in front of a firing squad comprised of 40 guys aiming all across their body.
For better insights, PF should invite them to a coffee, and talk about a few subjects only, only few, and let them come forward with their thoughts. Imaging Resources manages to do that to a better degree.
02-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Thanks for pointing out how easy it would be to revamp the FA LTD's into D FA LTD's.

The D FA 100mm ƒ2.8 Macro WR lens is an example that indeed the FA LTD's could easily be modernized in the same way. Keep it simple. I have the 77 and the 43. If they made D FA WR LTD's I would buy them.

And it is the focal lengths that are important. The FA LTD's were made for film. The focal lengths work well on FF. It's time Pentax/Ricoh made them for DSLR's.

And yeah in the end they no longer will be FA LTD's they will be D FA LTD's. With the same form factor solid construction with modern coatings and WR.
02-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The 2004 D FA 100mm ƒ2.8 Macro was not WR. The WR successor didn't come out until 2009, and also features rounded aperture blades.
02-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Leave the FA Limiteds alone. If revamped they aren't FA Limiteds any more. They should keep producing and selling them as they are until people stop buying them or they run out of glass blanks.

It is far more important to start with a fresh sheet of paper and design modern lenses. Eventually the interest in FA Limiteds will abate and they should simply be retired.
I feel you. The FA Ltds are marker of a specific time and place in the history of Pentax, and were designed to appeal to a different sensibility than what we have now. If Ricoh made D FA versions they might be Starlets, but never Princesses.