Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 273 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2017, 12:34 AM - 3 Likes   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
some message about DA zoom?
Sorry no,I got only anything about the 3 new primes.
That's next an not only a project anymore.
Best regards

04-06-2017, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Sorry no,I got only anything about the 3 new primes.
That's next an not only a project anymore.
Best regards
That's.... wide primes will be released in the latter stage, now the DA wide zoom is still there.. in the roadmap.. a red dash.

I guess APSC users still to need to hang-in there a couple of MORE years.

I have to go out and shoot.
04-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #243
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
What's convenient or comfortable about taking a bunch of pictures with garbage image quality because you hooked a camera as good and costly as the K-1 to a 28-300 super zoom?

The search function for the user reviews isn't turning up a single 28-300 sold by Pentax. If it wasn't popular during the film era, why would they do it now?

Whatever.
The film era was mostly manual focus, and most of that was manually designed {before computers}. Not surprisingly, few zoom lenses of any sort were popular then, and those were mainly 3X telephoto lenses. For one thing, with autofocus, designers tend not to labor under the parfocal requirement any more. I tend to agree that a 10X lens may require more compromises than make sense for a high-quality camera like the K-1, but limitations of the pre-automation and pre-autofocus times shouldn't permanently limit us today.
04-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #244
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The film era was mostly manual focus, and most of that was manually designed {before computers}.
First AF lenses from Pentax came 1987 (F* 300, F 100 2.8 Macro).
Computer technology already was so powerful at this time, even cinema movies has complete computer animated scenes in it. So i believe simple optical calculations could have been technical possible at this time.
Tron - Wikipedia

04-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #245
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Computer-aided optical design was already available in the consumer market in the 1970s. E.g., Vivitar's first Series 1 lenses were advertised as computer designed.
04-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
I agree that k1 prime shhoters may feel the need for true wide angle prime lenses in the 20-28 range, though the DFA 15-30 covers this range.

I dont understand whether your comment about FA31 is positive or negative.

My son uses it on K3, and it is an outstanding lens on APS-C. Feedback from K1 users seem to confirm it also is on FF. Pentax management too, as it was the lens they used to display the K1 last year.
I thought seriously about getting a 31mm Limited for my K-1, which of course has a fine rep for a moderate wide angle. But it's a 'moderate wide angle.

I already had the 28-105 and given that this lens already has 3mm of 'wide' on the 31mm Limited.

One of my favourite ASP-c wide angles is my trusty old 12-24, which I tend to use at 12-15mm of it's range on my ASP-C's.
A wonderful lens and yes I know it works on the K-1, but cropped. I love the w-i-i-i-ide perspective it gives @ 12-14mm on my ASP-C bodies.

I want the same on my K-1 and I'm not adverse to a prime....I don't mind doing all the moving back and forth when I don't have a zoom. I would like somewhere around the FF 15 -19 or so on a FF prime lens. F 3.5 is fast enough, F 2.8 is better, but not a big deal to me.
04-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #247
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I thought seriously about getting a 31mm Limited for my K-1, which of course has a fine rep for a moderate wide angle. But it's a 'moderate wide angle.

I already had the 28-105 and given that this lens already has 3mm of 'wide' on the 31mm Limited.

One of my favourite ASP-c wide angles is my trusty old 12-24, which I tend to use at 12-15mm of it's range on my ASP-C's.
A wonderful lens and yes I know it works on the K-1, but cropped. I love the w-i-i-i-ide perspective it gives @ 12-14mm on my ASP-C bodies.

I want the same on my K-1 and I'm not adverse to a prime....I don't mind doing all the moving back and forth when I don't have a zoom. I would like somewhere around the FF 15 -19 or so on a FF prime lens. F 3.5 is fast enough, F 2.8 is better, but not a big deal to me.
Me too. I think our best options today are the Irix 15 or Samyang 14 or 20mm primes... or that pricey 15-30 zoom. Looking at the lens database here, it doesn't seem Pentax really has done a ton with wide or ultrawide angle (20 and below) lenses. Nothing rectilinear and wider than that since A series days.. 30+ years ago.

I find that a little odd for a system that is 'geared' more towards outdoorsy landscapery rugged type shooting.

Either way, from what I see of the photos, if you get a decent Irix 15mm you will be fine. I bought one recently and it wouldn't focus to infinity.. but the vendor I bought from are taking it back and giving me a refund. I might try it again from a different vendor.. or get the Rokinon 20mm since it accepts 77mm filters. But not a lot of info or reviews on that one.. and nearly but a peep here on PF.

04-18-2017, 01:23 AM   #248

(...).
FA 31 is f1.8, that is two stops brighter than f3.5, thus it may be useful on K1 besides D-FA 28-105 for subject separation or low light shooting. It is rather compact and has a very special rendering (3D, pixie dust....).

Compact large aperture moderate wide angle fills lots of frequent needs in general photography.
Ultra wide angle primes answer more specialized needs.

Thus, as Pentax is a niche player in a shrinking DSLR market, and the D-FA 15-30 already covers this range for pro photographers, I think we will not see a Pentax FF UWA prime within the next two years.
04-18-2017, 04:28 AM   #249
Pentaxian

And don't forget the Laowa 12mm f/2.8 rectilinear option, of you want something really wide, light and small. Seems a good choice for landscapes when traveling.
04-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #250
Veteran Member

In Sweden we have Focus nordic that are importer of Pentax and Tamron (for Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland).
For a ~year ago they try to get Tamron to make 150-600 for Pentax with no success.
Now with the nice Tamron 150-600 G2, do Pentax want to get a DFA of it (~2000€/$), or do it intrude to mutch on 150-450 and DA560?
After the DFA50, 85 and 35, do we get a DFA21mm limited, a bigger DA21. A DFA70-300/4-5,6 (in the same league as DFA28-105). A updated F17-28 with a circ. pol filter inside.
With that and one or two more wide prime, a 135mm (limited) and perhaps a wide zoom with f4-5,6 the K1 have the lenses to attract new buyers.
But that takes 2 years or more.
04-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #251
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
In Sweden we have Focus nordic that are importer of Pentax and Tamron (for Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland).
For a ~year ago they try to get Tamron to make 150-600 for Pentax with no success.
Now with the nice Tamron 150-600 G2, do Pentax want to get a DFA of it (~2000€/$), or do it intrude to mutch on 150-450 and DA560?
After the DFA50, 85 and 35, do we get a DFA21mm limited, a bigger DA21. A DFA70-300/4-5,6 (in the same league as DFA28-105). A updated F17-28 with a circ. pol filter inside.
With that and one or two more wide prime, a 135mm (limited) and perhaps a wide zoom with f4-5,6 the K1 have the lenses to attract new buyers.
But that takes 2 years or more.
That is 8 new lenses........

I think Ricoh could also cancel the K-1 and leave it at the current stage.
04-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Me too. I think our best options today are the Irix 15 or Samyang 14 or 20mm primes... or that pricey 15-30 zoom. Looking at the lens database here, it doesn't seem Pentax really has done a ton with wide or ultrawide angle (20 and below) lenses. Nothing rectilinear and wider than that since A series days.. 30+ years ago.

I find that a little odd for a system that is 'geared' more towards outdoorsy landscapery rugged type shooting.

Either way, from what I see of the photos, if you get a decent Irix 15mm you will be fine. I bought one recently and it wouldn't focus to infinity.. but the vendor I bought from are taking it back and giving me a refund. I might try it again from a different vendor.. or get the Rokinon 20mm since it accepts 77mm filters. But not a lot of info or reviews on that one.. and nearly but a peep here on PF.
I have thought about the Samyang 14 or 20mm prime wide angles. Not sure, but think the Samyang maybe the same as Rokinon ? The price isn't bad, even with the Canadian dollar. Only concern is that they are manual focus and I've become quite used to the luxury of auto focus....also not sure how good the old eyes are at this stage in my life.

I take some landscape pix, but mostly I use my super wide angle (12-24) on vintage vehicles. I also have enjoyed my 10-17 Fisheye at 17mm..less fish eye effect there, and I find when I move around @ 17mm, the FE does give me some relatively undistorted views.

---------- Post added 04-18-17 at 05:21 PM ----------

---------- Post added 04-18-17 at 05:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
FA 31 is f1.8, that is two stops brighter than f3.5, thus it may be useful on K1 besides D-FA 28-105 for subject separation or low light shooting. It is rather compact and has a very special rendering (3D, pixie dust....).

Compact large aperture moderate wide angle fills lots of frequent needs in general photography.
Ultra wide angle primes answer more specialized needs.

Thus, as Pentax is a niche player in a shrinking DSLR market, and the D-FA 15-30 already covers this range for pro photographers, I think we will not see a Pentax FF UWA prime within the next two years.
Hope not, I prefer a Pentax brand lens and it would be nice to have a Pentax prime ultra wide.

Last edited by lesmore49; 04-18-2017 at 03:25 PM.
04-18-2017, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #253
mee
Veteran Member

I have thought about the Samyang 14 or 20mm prime wide angles. Not sure, but think the Samyang maybe the same as Rokinon ? The price isn't bad, even with the Canadian dollar. Only concern is that they are manual focus and I've become quite used to the luxury of auto focus....also not sure how good the old eyes are at this stage in my life.

I take some landscape pix, but mostly I use my super wide angle (12-24) on vintage vehicles. I also have enjoyed my 10-17 Fisheye at 17mm..less fish eye effect there, and I find when I move around @ 17mm, the FE does give me some relatively undistorted views.
Yep same design, different brand name. The Irix however is not associated with Samyang/Rokinon/Bower/etc as they are their own design team out of Switzerland (but manufacturing completed in South Korea).

I think I've decided to give the Irix 15mm another try. It is only 400 dollars and accepts 95mm circular filters. For the price of the Rokinon 20mm (that accepts 77mm filters that I already own) I could get the Irix 15mm and two 95mm filters. Plus if I want a 'zoomed in' photo I can always crop with the Irix.

Key is getting a decent copy as the QA on all of these ultrawide primes seems to be rather poor...
04-18-2017, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yep same design, different brand name. The Irix however is not associated with Samyang/Rokinon/Bower/etc as they are their own design team out of Switzerland (but manufacturing completed in South Korea).

I think I've decided to give the Irix 15mm another try. It is only 400 dollars and accepts 95mm circular filters. For the price of the Rokinon 20mm (that accepts 77mm filters that I already own) I could get the Irix 15mm and two 95mm filters. Plus if I want a 'zoomed in' photo I can always crop with the Irix.

Key is getting a decent copy as the QA on all of these ultrawide primes seems to be rather poor...
Thanks for the info. Let us know if you decide to get another Irix 15mm, how it performs.

Les
04-22-2017, 05:07 AM   #255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is 8 new lenses........

Yes, but Ricoh most have lenses to K1, not all want big zooms.
As i said: "After the DFA50, 85 and 35, do we get a DFA21mm limited, a bigger DA21. A DFA70-300/4-5,6 (in the same league as DFA28-105). A updated F17-28 with a circ. pol filter inside."
They are already on the roadmap.

I think Ricoh could also cancel the K-1 and leave it at the current stage.
And then comes nothing?