Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2018, 05:30 AM   #361

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Is the Q system still being developed, Zero?
It certainly doesn't seem like it

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Painfully absent. There were a few pre-production lenses available from a japanese website, I don't think it ever went into full production.
That's a real shame, could have been an awesome combo.

08-16-2018, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Painfully absent. There were a few pre-production lenses available from a japanese website, I don't think it ever went into full production.
Those pre-production lenses were not "available".
Believe me, I would have tried to buy one if they had been,
since it would have nicely rounded out the Q system for me.

The tantalizing posts on the Japanese website
were from an enthusiast who managed to gain brief access to a copy.

In this thread about a Pentax lens roadmap,
the "now you see it, now you don't" experience with that 09 Tele Macro
is precisely why I think we cannot be so sanguine
about these "Ricoh has a plan" claims,
and why I think we shouldn't take the roadmaps too seriously.
08-16-2018, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #363
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Those pre-production lenses were not "available".
Believe me, I would have tried to buy one if they had been,
since it would have nicely rounded out the Q system for me.

The tantalizing posts on the Japanese website
were from an enthusiast who managed to gain brief access to a copy.

Well, if Q users had gone out and bought the wide angle zoom in decent numbers, I'm sure we would have the 09 Tele Macro. Unfortunately, that lens did not seem to sell well. The lens was not even given a review by most websites, including this one. It's sad, but the platform could not support such a good quality lens at $400. That must have sealed the fate of the 09.

It's not fair to say that Ricoh had no plan or gave up on the Q. The marketed it quite aggressively for two or more years in Japan, and they did sell significant numbers. Then they came out with the 08. But there comes a point where you have to accept that it's not going to be as successful as you need it to be.

The current situation looks pretty grim for Q in Japan. The Q-S1 body is only available direct from Ricoh. The lenses are still available, but I noticed that they have all had a big price cut at major stores over here (for example Bic Camera), and all 8 lenses are now listed as out of production at Map Camera.

I don't think it means that roadmaps are meaningless. It is natural to look at how lenses sell and adjust the roadmap in response. I guess they have heard that there is a clear demand for a smaller, cheaper FF telezoom, so that's why they have moved the 70-200mm f4 up and the 85mm back. This is why they have a disclaimer on the roadmap.
08-16-2018, 08:02 AM - 2 Likes   #364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Plans change in response to market realities. Ford Motor Company’s Plan no longer includes traditional cars. Ricoh’s Plan apparently no longer includes 1:1.7 mirrorles cameras and Copal-sourced lenses.

08-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #365
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Well, if Q users had gone out and bought the wide angle zoom in decent numbers, I'm sure we would have the 09 Tele Macro. Unfortunately, that lens did not seem to sell well. The lens was not even given a review by most websites, including this one. It's sad, but the platform could not support such a good quality lens at $400. That must have sealed the fate of the 09.
I really wanted the 08 wide angle zoom... still do, in fact... but the price - at least, here in the UK - was considerably more than I'd paid for my Q7, 01, 02 and 06 lenses combined. I've no doubt it was worth the money in terms of optical quality, but I couldn't bring myself to pay up for it - especially since the Q system has always been complementary to my main kit, rather than central to it.
08-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #366
Pentaxian

What should we do, then? Falsely believe that Ricoh doesn't have a plan? Panic?

Of course they do have a plan, and of course it's largely spelled out by the roadmap. That plan isn't, however, to continue launching products we do not buy.
Roadmaps should be taken as roadmaps.
08-16-2018, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #367
Pentaxian

Besides, I did want the Q macro, but, my Q is 12 MP, my XG-1 which never needs a lens change and has a lot more range is 16 MP, the Q was never going to be my main camera system. Way to many of my images are high Dynamic Range and high resolution. My Q was bought to be a pocket camera. But bottom line, our system was bought at close outs, we never could have afforded the price of even the two lenses we bought full price. Ours were bay purchases from japan, for which we waited 2 months and were relatively cheap. We love the little camera, but there's no crop room in those sensors.

It seems like a little boy camera at big boy prices.

08-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well this guys seems to really like the lens. Im not sure how else you get such a high quality wide zoom in such a small package. I didnt own a q but its a shame the have stopped making them.

08-16-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #369
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh’s Plan apparently no longer includes 1:1.7 mirrorles cameras and Copal-sourced lenses.
Right, and it apparently no longer includes a DA* Wide Zoom in 2018.

"Although it was initially announced that this lens would be launched on the market in the summer of 2018, we are pushing back the launch to a later date."
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Of course they do have a plan, and of course it's largely spelled out by the roadmap.
What's spelled out in the roadmap is "or later" and "Roadmap might change without notice."
You're welcome to call that a plan if you want.

As for me, I've learned not to base my plans on Ricoh's.
08-16-2018, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #370
Pentaxian

We love the little camera, but there's no crop room in those sensors.
Ever shoot slide film? You crop with the viewfinder!
08-16-2018, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #371
Pentaxian

What's spelled out in the roadmap is "or later" and "Roadmap might change without notice."

That is your decision, and being yours doesn't make it "right".
I have a better idea what a plan is. Just sayin'.
08-16-2018, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Although it was initially announced that this lens would be launched on the market in the summer of 2018, we are pushing back the launch to a later date."

Do other camera companies even publish Lens Roadmaps or do they just feed the Rumor sites? Good luck planning Nikon and Canon releases.

Don’t forget Photokina is around the corner (and again in May, 2019).
08-16-2018, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tellwill Quote
FTF: I have been using PENTAX gear for decades.

So an amen to that too, since there are a lot of OTHER pentax-fans than those forum members,

which are complaining, that price tags could be set too high for them

and therefore pretend to be happy with outdated (AF-)technology in their cameras.
And that is no way to go on.

Believe it or not, I would have paid 1000Euro more for a far more capable and up to date K-1.... that from a technical and strategical point of view should better have been more like a Nikon D850
That would not only have strengthened PENTAXs position in the MEGAPIXEL counting market, but would have made it possible to add a faster shooter in 2018 thats capable of competing with a Sony A7III...(not only from a technical but also from a price-tag point of view)
But now... this terrain is lost...

Dont get me wrong, I dont think its bad to have no or less money than others... And for that reason they should keep one cheaper APS-C model(like the K-70) in co to a flagship APS-C...
But its a good thing for sure to aim high and shoot mid, than to aim too low and put a silver bullet under the carpet.(again)
Tellwill, your needs are not necessarily those of average Pentax customer, who is mostly ... Japanese
Same for financial means as it is also a matter of money allocation, not only firepower.
We both live in Switzerland so paying more for less is a local habit ; thankfully Pentax is about paying less for more.
08-16-2018, 03:57 PM - 3 Likes   #374
Pentaxian

Do you know what a "plan" is? It states their intentions and goals at the time. It's normal for companies to revise plans over time. Ricoh's roadmap is not their personal promise to you or a contractual obligation.

Companies change plans often, for many reasons.
08-16-2018, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #375
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've learned not to base my plans on Ricoh's.
I never make my plans and decisions based on anyone else's... at least, not without alternative options. That extends way beyond my photography hobby, and into all aspects of my life, especially my old professional one.

I say never... In my early professional career, I made a couple of important plans that were reliant on those of others, with assumptions that they'd make good. But they didn't. That was the swing point for me, and it taught me an extremely-valuable lesson: "There's no such thing as a sure thing"

Going back to my photography, I base my choices and decisions entirely on what's available right now. I might hope and look forward to more (I'm sure most of us do), and I welcome companies' plans and goals in developing and releasing additional products, but if they don't materialise, I'm never truly disappointed

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-17-2018 at 07:43 AM.